Scapple - New Beta Available (Updated 19/03/13)

af
afcondon
Platform: Mac

Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:07 pm Post

Seems to be a bug where instead of rubber banding you end up moving some pair of nodes...I imagine you'll find this yourself in regular use. Sometimes it happens sometimes it doesn't - you can repeat the same mousedown and move and sometimes you're rubberbanding sometimes you're moving two nodes connected by a line. It _looks_ as if there was some code in there to allow you to select and move a line with it's nodes...

BTW it might make sense to allow "Align center" because centered text node look misaligned when you align them left or right.

KB
Site Admin

Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:34 pm Post

Hi,

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Rubberbanding is when you scroll to the edge of the screen with a trackpad and it bounces back, but I don't think that's what you mean. Do you mean something to do with connections? Would you mind explaining a little more what the problem is?

As for dragging notes by their lines, yes, you can do this - click and drag the line between two notes to drag the connected notes.

Also, "Align Center" is already in there, available via the inspector and via the Format menu - make sure you are using the latest beta. (EDIT: Wait, I think you mean in the Notes > Align menu as opposed to text alignment. Yes, that might be a nice idea, and I've added it to the list.)

Thanks and all the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

af
afcondon

Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:45 pm Post

Using Build 2699 - i allowed install and relaunch so that should be up to date, no?

By rubberbanding i meant if i mousedown and drag to form a rubberbanded selection rectangle (to select a group of nodes).

I see what you mean you can drag a line, hadn't realized that could be done before for some reason. However, what i'm referring to is a "click and drag rectangle" selection which definitely DOES NOT commence with a click on a line - in fact it usually seems to select a line that isn't even the nearest to the mouse pointer at the start of the click and drag...

Re center align, yes, i did mean in the notes align menu, sorry if i wasn't clear, glad to hear it's a useful suggestion.

cheers, A

pe
peerb

Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:52 am Post

Odd behaviour:
If you name a new note "New Note" (either by keeping the default name "New Note" or by typing it letter by letter) the note doesn't change its size to fit the title as it does with any other name. (You don't get this odd behaviour if you rename an old note "New Note".)

Regards,
Peer

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:09 am Post

peerb wrote:If you name a new note "New Note" (either by keeping the default name "New Note" or by typing it letter by letter) the note doesn't change its size to fit the title as it does with any other name

The note only gets auto-sized if its content has changed; otherwise, any time you double-clicked a note or ran Find, the note would shrink back to minimum width. So, intentional behaviour.
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

Lo
LostInTheTrees

Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:10 pm Post

Just heard about Scapple (from James Fallows) and like what I see.

The first thing I notice is that Align really should have two more options, Center Vertically and Center Horizonally.

The other thing I would really like is the ability to indent within a note. I make my notes in indented form, constantly indenting and outdenting as I nest things. A Tab does not suffice because some text requires more than one line.

Thanks, Bob

Lo
LostInTheTrees

Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:07 am Post

Just discovered the way the zoom works. I assumed it would allow one to zoom out and see a very large surface, but there seems to be no scrolling. Scapple would be much improved by being able to zoom out to see an overview of a large diagram and then zoom into a specific area and then scroll around it.

-Bob

Lo
LostInTheTrees

Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:21 am Post

LostInTheTrees wrote:Just discovered the way the zoom works. I assumed it would allow one to zoom out and see a very large surface, but there seems to be no scrolling. Scapple would be much improved by being able to zoom out to see an overview of a large diagram and then zoom into a specific area and then scroll around it.

-Bob

Never mind. I see you just have to move stuff away from the origin to expand the surface.

-Bob

KB
Site Admin

Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:01 am Post

If you hit "z", you see the entire surface. When you let go of the "z" key, it zooms back in to the location of your mouse - making navigating large maps very easy (this is covered in the QuickStart guide).

Indents aren't planned, I'm afraid, as things are staying simple.

The first thing I notice is that Align really should have two more options, Center Vertically and Center Horizonally.

These have already been added for the next beta.

Thanks for trying!

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

on
oneroundjack

Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:13 am Post

I just wanted to pick up on this user's request for a 'format painter'. You've partly answered it here, by pointing out that it's possible through [Format > Note Style > Apply note style], but don't forget you're really asking for a lot of careful horizontal mouse work there (see screengrab).

I tend to create a bunch of notes, and I'm not always sure which note style I want to use until I see them all on screen, and I can divide them up in my mind.

I could go with the <alt-cmd-C> and <alt-cmd-V>, but not until I've got some notes of varying styles on the page already.

What I really crave is an intuitive floating palette of note-styles so I can just select a bunch of notes and click once to give them all the same style.

I honestly found it a significant block on my thought processes at a time when I just wanted to be hammering out those notes.

Loving the software though -- keep on going!

Thanks
Attachments
Screen shot 2012-11-17 at 11.12.44.png
Screen shot 2012-11-17 at 11.12.44.png (79.6 KiB) Viewed 2508 times

KB
Site Admin

Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:03 pm Post

But you don't need to use the Format menu - just ctrl-click on the selected notes and select "Apply Note Style" from the contextual menu - much faster and easier than a floating palette.

on
oneroundjack

Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:08 pm Post

I hear you: that would solve the problem nicely.

As a little comeback: simply including the 'styles' by name in the Inspector would provide a way for people to do what I suggested if they're more visually motivated.

Cheers, and thanks for the reply.

KB
Site Admin

Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:18 pm Post

I think I explained this upthread, but styles wouldn't work in the inspector because they are not really "styles" but just format painting - if you select a note, Scapple has no idea of any note style applied to it, it only knows that it is this or that colour and has this or that border and so on. So, styles will remain in the menus and out of the inspector. :) Glad the ctrl-click thing helped, though!
All the best,
Keith

KB
Site Admin

Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:24 pm Post

Scapple 0.9.0.2 beta build 2786 uploaded.

KB
Site Admin

Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:14 pm Post

Scapple 0.9.0.3 beta build 3427 uploaded, with extended expiry date of 30th April 2013.