JohannesG's Wishlist

Jo
JohannesG
Platform: Mac

Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:00 am Post

Thought I'd set up my own wishlist post. The developer/s can of course decide to ignore this. On the other hand there might be some useful ideas hiding here between my unrealistic crappy ideas. ;)
Please do help me refine the ideas or debate on which ones are stupid and which ones are possible gold nuggets.

- Allow dragging soundfiles to Scapple (and play them in scapple). Would make Scapple a lot more usable for me as a sound designer.
    - Markdown support.
    - The ability to create lines between two notes via drag and click by touching hot corners or hot areas on notes. (similar how Max MSP and PureData work for example).
    - The ability to draw freeform.
    - Ability to drag images from browser/wherever.
    - Ability to drag images to desktop from Scapple.
    - UI seems to need more cues or something to help people that are not keyboard-focused. Although I am keyboard-focused myself I did use my mouse completely at first before I got used to the keyboard shortcuts. I found the mouse/trackpad experience lacking in some ways. (apply formatting, connecting notes and so on). Although navigating the document (panning, zooming in/out) with a trackpad was awesome!

KB
Site Admin

Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:49 am Post

Thanks for the suggestions!

- Allow dragging soundfiles to Scapple (and play them in scapple). Would make Scapple a lot more usable for me as a sound designer.

I've deliberately steered clear of multimedia, as I want to keep the file size down, but also it would blur Scapple's purpose - it's intended as a rough area for getting your ideas down, not for presentation.

- Markdown support.

Woah, hold your horses there. :) I don't think Markdown would add much to Scapple (other than, I suppose, for export, but you could just type in Markdown if you really wanted that...).

- The ability to create lines between two notes via drag and click by touching hot corners or hot areas on notes. (similar how Max MSP and PureData work for example).

Hmm, that's then really turning it into more of a drawing program, and starts making things more complex.

- The ability to draw freeform.

Ditto.

You can already do the latter - you can drag images into Scapple from the Finder.

- UI seems to need more cues or something to help people that are not keyboard-focused. Although I am keyboard-focused myself I did use my mouse completely at first before I got used to the keyboard shortcuts. I found the mouse/trackpad experience lacking in some ways. (apply formatting, connecting notes and so on).

I disagree. Keyboard shortcuts can be found in the menus, as with all Mac programs, aside from the "z" and space shortcuts, which are mentioned in the QuickStart Guide. I disagree that the mouse experience is lacking, though - but then I did build this around the way I wanted to use my mouse to create a thought map, so obviously it works the way I want. :)
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Jo
JohannesG

Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:26 am Post

Thanks for a very good and thought out answer. Below is my followup to some of your comments.

KB wrote:I've deliberately steered clear of multimedia, as I want to keep the file size down, but also it would blur Scapple's purpose - it's intended as a rough area for getting your ideas down, not for presentation.

the suggestion was not intended for presentation but for the same reason you put images into Scapple. I do understand your wish of steering clear of multimedia as we could as well say "if we are going for audio, then why not film!" and then things would get really bloated and complicated really quick. So I respect your decision in leaving audio out.

KB wrote:Hmm, that's then really turning it into more of a drawing program, and starts making things more complex.

Ignore the freeform drawing idea then. What I am more suggesting is the ability to draw a line between two boxes as an alternate way of connecting boxes instead of selecting both and choosing "connect". For me at least it seems like a more intuitive way of connecting boxes. Sort of like how you draw a line with a pencil on paper between two notes when mindmapping.
I have attached a screenshot from Max MSP showing a similar method.
Screen Shot 2012-10-16 at 12.19.51.png
Screen Shot 2012-10-16 at 12.19.51.png (12.98 KiB) Viewed 1385 times

KB wrote:

You can already do the latter - you can drag images into Scapple from the Finder.

I meant the other way around, dragging images from Scapple to the desktop for example.

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:28 am Post

JohannesG wrote:What I am more suggesting is the ability to draw a line between two boxes as an alternate way of connecting boxes instead of selecting both and choosing "connect".

I'm not familiar with Max MSP, but just to be sure it's not being overlooked, in Scapple you can create a connection between notes by dragging one note onto another (the note doesn't move, it just creates a connection). Holding the Option key while dragging creates an arrow rather than a dotted line. So that seems to cover what you're after with the click-and-drag method of creating lines?
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

mi
michaelbywater

Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:22 am Post

I got the impression he meant something more like the CMap Tools implementation. Click on a note. The note frame shows a "hot zone". Click-and-drag on the hot zone and an arrow follows the pointer; release the mouse and a new note appears under the pointer. It's a nice trick and I wish other apps did it.

KB
Site Admin

Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:27 am Post

michaelbywater wrote:I got the impression he meant something more like the CMap Tools implementation. Click on a note. The note frame shows a "hot zone". Click-and-drag on the hot zone and an arrow follows the pointer; release the mouse and a new note appears under the pointer. It's a nice trick and I wish other apps did it.

The equivalent in Scapple is to select a note, then hold down the Option or Command keys when you double-click somewhere to create a new note - the new note will be connected to the originally-selected note.

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Venares
Platform: Mac + iOS

Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:39 am Post

KB wrote:
I've deliberately steered clear of multimedia, as I want to keep the file size down, but also it would blur Scapple's purpose - it's intended as a rough area for getting your ideas down, not for presentation.

the suggestion was not intended for presentation but for the same reason you put images into Scapple. I do understand your wish of steering clear of multimedia as we could as well say "if we are going for audio, then why not film!" and then things would get really bloated and complicated really quick. So I respect your decision in leaving audio out.

But woudn't it be nice to "scapple" with all the things, which are collected in Scrivener's Research folder? There are at leaste interviews, lectures etc. I like to connect.

Spitfire31

Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:59 am Post

JohannesG wrote:What I am more suggesting is the ability to draw a line between two boxes as an alternate way of connecting boxes instead of selecting both and choosing "connect". For me at least it seems like a more intuitive way of connecting boxes.

Hm… Why don't you use the simplest built-in way to connect – just drag your box to the one you want to connect with and then let go? The dragged box returns to its original position and hey! presto: the two are now connected!

The cursor even changes to a curved 'pointing back arrow' in the process. Neat-o.

Kind regards,

Joachim