Scapple for Mac (née "TheBoard"/"Vellum") - feedback wanted

PJ
PJS
Platform: Mac + Windows

Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:56 pm Post

The only suitable response to Bartleby:
"I would prefer not to."

ps
You can't conquer stupid — or cure it — with more stupid.

Cjmiltko
Platform: Mac

Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:50 pm Post

KB wrote:... The one big thing left to do is... Choose a name. All the code left to do (the QuickLook plugin, the registration code and suchlike) requires a name, and yet every name I like has already gone. So, I'll be spending some time going through the dictionary this week and trying to garble words into nonsense words that at least haven't been used by any software yet. Seriously, *everything* is gone. Even Michael Bywater's suggestion, up-thread, of "Scribblit" is gone ("Scribblet" is a new OS X note-taking app). It was never this hard when I came up with the name for Scriv...
P.S. Please do reply with any ideas you have for names!

Scrivellum!

:lol:

or, on the contrary, BlarneyPad™ :mrgreen:

Ti
Timotheus

Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:59 pm Post

I'm very anxious to try out this new offspring of Keith's genius!

No, there is no irony in these words; just sincere admiration. The art of making things which are both attractive and easy to use, and useful and powerful, is an art which few people understand; and Keith has proven himself a master in it.

One of the things I'm most curious about, is the exact relationship in terms of import and export between this new …… Discoverer (or whatever name will be given to this new explorer of the caves of the human mind), and Scrivener and Tinderbox, which in recent times have already come to interact better. I'm sure that the idea of an application that could also act as a kind of go-between between Scrivener and Tinderbox would appeal to many.
Scrivener – Nisus – Bookends – Devonthink – Lightroom ••• MacMini 2018 / MacBook Pro 2014 (10.14.6) – iPhone 7

I went there and came back / It was nothing special / The river at high tide / The mountain veiled by misty rain

dr
druid
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:36 pm Post

Timotheus wrote: Discoverer (or whatever name will be given to this new explorer of the caves of the human mind)...

Spelunker!
Spelunk?
Splunk!!

As in....I'm off to splunk a few chapters, dear. :shock:

kewms

Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:26 am Post

I certainly hope the Program to Be Named Later will be easier to use than Tinderbox. And probably prettier, too. Oy.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

richardoz

Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:42 am Post

How about a little greek (or a variation of) - Hypotyposis, which means to put something before our eyes, to bring it alive for us.* I admit it may not fall easily from the lips, and yes, it does sound a little like something you might not want to catch.

There is also Typosis, a fake disease that makes you make typos, used as a joke among people mostly on a forum but also in chatrooms. (Found this at urbandictionary.com)

Perhaps forum readers can make something of this.

*Taken from page 179 in James Wood, How Fiction Works (Vintage) 2009

Cheers from Australia.

KB
Site Admin

Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:28 pm Post

Thanks for all the suggestions! We now have a name for the unnamed app, and all that remains is an icon and the user guide. I'll have a beta out shortly...
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:43 pm Post

Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (6.88 KiB) Viewed 2541 times

Right, that's the logo done. It was hard cos I didn't know what you were really after, but I reckon I nailed it anyway.

Now you just need the User Guide. No need to thank me.
http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
Image Image

richardoz

Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:39 am Post

Too late! Just came up with another Silus as in Rheobatrachus silus, missing since 1981 but scientists are still looking for it. Interesting frog. Female swallows fertilized eggs that secrete a substance which turns off her gastric juices. The eggs gestate in the mothers stomach and emerges from her mouth. Now isn't that what the new software does? The call sounds like a washboard in a jazz band if that helps anybody who might consider helping to look for it in the Conondale Ranges in south eastern Queensland. Ok. Promise I won't come up with any more.

Cheers

PS Great logo pigfender. Would love to use it on a pin-brooch! see my http://youbeaut.com

KB
Site Admin

Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:34 am Post

Hi all,

I'm now locking this topic, as Scapple - as it shall henceforth be called - now has its own Beta-Testing area and subforums. Please test out the new version and submit feedback and bugs on the new beta-testing forum:

viewforum.php?f=42

See this post for further details and to download the beta:

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=20396

Thanks everyone for all the great feedback! A lot of your ideas went into Scapple, and I hope you like it.

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."