Scapple Beta - New Users Please Read

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:11 pm Post

Hi Frix,

Thanks, glad you like it!

As for margins in the map window, no, this isn't possibly, sorry--please see my explanation here:

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=22743

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Du
Dunesman

Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:24 pm Post

Just dl'd the trial version of this SCAPPLE thing. After about five minutes it was clear that I would be buying it. I'm a list-maker, note-taker, and idea-doodler and Scapple looks an awful lot like a digital napkin to me. Many thanks!

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:26 pm Post

That's the idea! Glad you like it. 8)
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

pi
pipegold

Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:37 am Post

Hi, I just started using Scapple after finally binning Freemind. Love it. Currently using it for storyboarding my novel. Two points have arisen so far:
First, an irritating little glitch is if you have customised the page colour, when you open the program/document, it loads with the default colour (which is not to my taste) for a second before flicking into the customised colour. Not a big issue, but it diminishes the otherwise stable, reliable, polished feel of Scapple.
Secondly, as a big part of my process is to use particular pieces of music as inspiration for scenes I'm writing, it would be nice to be able to add local hyperlinks (I think they're called?) to a music file - especially nice if it starts the file playing in my iTunes library. Not sure if that is possible, but in Freemind I could link to a music file held on my laptop.

Thanks for a very helpful, easy to use tool, though.

AmberV

Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:37 am Post

...if you have customised the page colour, when you open the program/document, it loads with the default colour...

I'm not seeing anything like that. I wonder if it is a performance related issue. Three potential factors:

• Age of computer. If it's pretty old maybe it's just slow and it takes a moment to load the settings.
  • Size of the file. If you have some pictures dragged into that might slow things down, especially if the pictures are high-resolution. Likewise there could potentially be drawing slow-downs with massive boards. Several hundred notes with many links, for example, might cause slowdowns.
  • File storage location. Is the .scap file stored on slow media like a file server, flash based thumb drive, or over a WiFi connection?

Secondly, as a big part of my process is to use particular pieces of music as inspiration for scenes I'm writing, it would be nice to be able to add local hyperlinks...

Yes, you can create hyperlinks in the software. The easiest way is to just hit Cmd-L while you are editing the note, but you can also use the `Edit/Add Link...` menu command. This just takes any valid URI, so that includes file:// protocol links to the hard disk. So one easy way of adding a file link is to type in "file://" and then drag and drop the file into the edit link URL box. That'll print the path name for you.
Ioa Petra'ka

pi
pipegold

Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:35 am Post

Thanks for your response, AmberV
My machine isn't very old, maybe two or three years. It's a simple and small .scap file, with no pictures or links, at 29KB. The file is stored on the machine itself.

Model Identifier: MacBookPro7,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

Mac OS X Version 10.6.8

On the link thing - that doesn't seem to work for music files. I did what you said a few times, producing this for example: file://Users/Matt/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/beach boys/sounds of summer_ the very best of the beach boys/01 beach boys - california girls.mp3
It just gives that duff error beep. So far tried with files set to start with iTunes or Quicktime.

AmberV

Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:42 am Post

Make sure it looks like "file:///Users/Matt/..." rather than "file://Users/Matt/...". The "://" is a part of the protocol, and then the third slash following it is actually a part of the system path. File types shouldn't cause a problem unless they don't normally load when you double-click on them in Finder. After you click the link, there is little difference between a double-click and a link click, technically.
Ioa Petra'ka

pi
pipegold

Wed May 01, 2013 9:41 am Post

Three slashes! It seemed odd to have three, so I 'meddled' with it :oops: That does seem to work. Great, thanks very much for your help. Cheers

Di
DianaCQ

Sat May 25, 2013 12:08 am Post

Sounds like a great program! I'll be buying it as soon as I get off work and can get to my computer.
I'm one of those who would also love an iPad version :D

sc
sciman

Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:09 pm Post

For those of you, like me, looking for an integration of MindMapping with Scrivener and Scapple even, MindNode 5 provides an inexpensive and very powerful solution. This software works like iThoughts and perhaps others, though MindNode prices strikes me as more reasonable.

One can attach notes to one or multiple hierarchical nodes in MindNode, and these come into Scrivener as title and content on separate cards and outline elements. Even more impressively, if one takes a Scapple and exports, with the option proved to create notes field in the opal export, the first line of scapple node appears as node, with secondary lines appearing in an editable notes pane which appears for each separate node as a sidebar to the diagram. So one can easily click around the mind map adding context and description to simple titles. A simple outline can be quickly enriched in MindNode, then the OPML taken directly into Scrivener. This is what I've wanted.