highlight connections - feature request

mu
mund
Platform: Mac

Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:36 pm Post

hello,
would be great if I could highlight all the topics that are connected to a note when I click it with a key combination (and or fade the others).
just an idea
thanks mund
ps: and by the way, an IOS version!

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:08 pm Post

While the connection line itself cannot be highlighted, notes connected to the current selection can be added to the selection, with Edit ▸ Select ▸ Connected Notes (Shift-Cmd-A). And there is also a variant that will recursively do so. For in-between cases: repeat the connect notes selection function the desired number of times.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

mu
mund

Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:49 pm Post

perfect. very useful. thank you

se
seeitinmyeyes

Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:38 pm Post

I give my vote to this feature request.
:D I think this will be a very useful feature!

To highlight a connection is like focusing your brain only on those connecting ideas. You'll have a birds eye view on related words/topic instead of getting overwhelmed with entangled spider web of connections.

See my attached image for demo.

mund wrote:hello,
would be great if I could highlight all the topics that are connected to a note when I click it with a key combination (and or fade the others).
just an idea
thanks mund
ps: and by the way, an IOS version!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-06-16 at 8.34.55 PM.png
Demo
Screen Shot 2019-06-16 at 8.34.55 PM.png (355.12 KiB) Viewed 489 times

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:58 am Post

Just to be clear, we consider the selection method to be the answer to this request—that is how it has always been.

If you require further visual aid, I would suggest inverting your selection and fading the rest of the board (you can Undo when you are done). You might need to set up a custom shortcut for one of those, but I think this is a default sequence:

1. ⇧⌘A (Select connections)
  2. ⇧⌘I (Invert selection)
  3. ⌥⌘F (Fade selected notes)
  4. ⌘D to clear selection.

That should provide an extremely clear view of what you want to focus on. :) If you use macro software, consider bundling all of that into one keystroke.

Another approach is to copy and paste into a new board—it’s about the same number of steps, but the advantage is that you can set this “focus view” as a reference alongside the main board, and once you have that "scratch board" you can just drag and drop new clusters into it, and clear it when you're done.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles