Suggestions

Lo
LostInTheTrees
Platform: Mac

Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:39 pm Post

I posted this first in Scable Beta Testing, but I am not convinced that anyone is looking at that anymore. I was using Scapple in the beta, but fell out of the habit for a while. Just finally purchased and see some easy improvements. I like it a lot.

First, a very easy add that would make my life MUCH easier in Scapple. When the SHIFT (or whatever) key is held down, constrain dragging of selected objects to vertical or horizontal. Once stuff is aligned, this makes retaining alignment very easy. Right now I have to realign after most drags. I know the arrow key movement works for short drags.

Second, and this is a lot more trouble, make "stacking" a persistent characteristic. This could mean cells in a stack could be dragged to another position in the stack and the stack would "re-stack" in the new order. Also, when a stack is surrounded by a magnetic shape, when the stack is added to, the shape should expand to contain the new element. I use stacking a lot because it is the only way to create indented content. For me, a stack is one note in multiple pieces and should be kept intact.

Third, a minor thing really, the "padding" in background shapes. I notice that the padding around notes within a background shape is modifiable with the mouse. This is impractical because there is no good way to make it uniform or quick. Why not make this a setting in the Preferences? Something like "Padding <n> pixels".

And last, a small thing that would make editing quicker is that when you click on an arrow or connection, select the two connected notes. Right now, I believe that action has no semantics. This would make selecting two notes in order to delete or modify an arrow or connection much quicker.

-Bob

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:09 pm Post

Third, a minor thing really, the “padding” in background shapes.

I don’t follow this one. There isn’t any padding, these are just freeform. Do you mean if it is initially created around a group of selected notes? That seems kind of fiddly to have a preference for to me, though. One thing that may help you is Opt-drag when resizing. This will do a symmetrical resize from the direction you start from, so when done from a corner it will let you resize the shape from the centre rather than the corner you started on.

And last, a small thing that would make editing quicker is that when you click on an arrow or connection, select the two connected notes.

We already have some plans here that will make what you are working around easier.

Second, and this is a lot more trouble, make “stacking” a persistent characteristic.

Indeed, that would require redesigning what a stack even is. Right now it is a loose definition based on the placement of items. It doesn’t exist anywhere except as a temporary state generated by the items themselves.

And yes, the beta testing forums are kind of dead whenever there isn’t an active beta cycle going on.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Lo
LostInTheTrees

Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:42 pm Post

I was a little confused about the padding issue. However, what I meant was when you create a magnetic shape around a set of notes, it is bigger by a certain amount, the "padding". Your choice is big for my taste, thus the idea about a preference. Not a big deal though.

The cmd-drag does help a lot. However, it is freeform. If you implement the shift means "vertical or horizontal", it should apply to corner drags too. It should mean "maintain aspect ratio" in this situation, which I believe is a natural extension of the concept.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:45 pm Post

Yes, adding Shift to Option to constrain a symmetrical resize with the original aspect ratio is fairly conventional.

Okay, thanks for the clarifications. I'll put these on our list for consideration.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Lo
LostInTheTrees

Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:03 pm Post

AmberV wrote:
Second, and this is a lot more trouble, make “stacking” a persistent characteristic.

Indeed, that would require redesigning what a stack even is. Right now it is a loose definition based on the placement of items. It doesn’t exist anywhere except as a temporary state generated by the items themselves.

Actually I don't think you need any (much?) new data structure for this. I make a stack into a single structure by putting a magnetic shape around it. My shape has no visible boundary or background. That allows me move the group around easily. So far so good. When I drop a new note on top of the shape, it sticks.

So, consider a new "stack with a shape" or something like that. This means "stack the selected notes and put a magnetic shape around it". When you drop a new note onto the shape, it re-stacks the set of notes in the shape and re-sizes (deletes and recreates?) the magnetic shape around the new set.

All of these are operations and structures you already have. You would need a way to say "stack with a shape" and perhaps a flag in the shape that denotes that its contests are stacked. Even the flag may not be needed if the dropping of a new note onto the stacked shape is accompanied by a modifier that means "restack and reshape the notes on this shape".

Thanks for listening.