Scapple no longer saves automatically

db
dberreby

Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:54 pm Post

Not a biggie, but I have noticed that lately Scapple is no longer automatically saving every few seconds, as it once did. The red dot used to go back to clear quite quickly; now, I notice when I go to quit or close a Scap, I get the "do you want to save changes?" question. Even if I have done nothing in the app for a long time.

There doesn't seem to be any setting in preferences that I could have accidentally changed. Moreover, the problem seems to be Scapple-specific, as Scrivener projects are auto-saving normally. So I am a bit stumped. Anyone have any ideas?

David

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:54 pm Post

Scrivener uses its own custom auto-save system, as the new one that Apple introduced in Lion is not suitable for complex formats. Scapple, just being a simple single-file document format can take advantage of auto-save, so it will work like TextEdit, Preview and many other programs. They would be better things to compare against.

There is a setting that will disable auto-save at the system level. Check and make sure "Ask to keep changes when closing documents" is disable in the General system preference pane.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

db
dberreby

Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:17 pm Post

That was it! My hard drive recently died, and in recreating my system I must have tinkered with that setting (after all, it sounds like such a good idea, to ask before quitting!).

Thanks! Both for the solution and for the explanation of the difference between the two apps.

Happy New Year,

David