Paste as separate notes

bobembry
Platform: Mac + iOS

Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:25 pm Post

Occasionally I have a block of text containing multiple paragraphs, it would be convenient to paste each paragraph into a separate note — stacked. Blank lines would have to be removed before the paste.

Thanks

Bob

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:50 pm Post

Note you can do this by importing a text file. That means the extra step of dropping text into a file first, and then dropping the file into the board. I was going to say you can just drop the text straight into Finder to create a .textClipping file, but unfortunately Scapple treats that as an unknown file type, so you just end up with a hyperlink to the file if you drop it onto the board. I'll see if that is something that can be easily fixed. It's still an extra step, but one drag and drop rest stop along the way to makea .textClipping file isn't that much of a burden.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

bobembry

Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:42 pm Post

AmberV wrote:Note you can do this by importing a text file. That means the extra step of dropping text into a file first, and then dropping the file into the board. I was going to say you can just drop the text straight into Finder to create a .textClipping file, but unfortunately Scapple treats that as an unknown file type, so you just end up with a hyperlink to the file if you drop it onto the board. I'll see if that is something that can be easily fixed. It's still an extra step, but one drag and drop rest stop along the way to makea .textClipping file isn't that much of a burden.

The drag and drop from a text file works great

Thanks

Bob

AmberV

Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:39 am Post

Okay, glad to hear it. Unfortunately the .textClipping trick isn’t viable for us to accommodate. It’s an old Mac trick, but modern software (i.e. most stuff after Mac OS X 10.0) can’t access the data stored in them at all.
Ioa Petra'ka

parf
Platform: Mac

Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:02 am Post

This solution does not work for me now. When I drag a text file to Scapple, it does ask "Would you like to split the imported text into multiple notes?", but puts everything in one note anyway.

AmberV

Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:08 pm Post

We’ll need some procedure to follow, preferably starting with the creation of the .txt file you are using to drop into Scrivener. No problems here:

1. Open TextEdit, hit ⇧⌘T to make the window plain-text.
  2. Type in “one”, “two”, “three” with each word on its own line; no return after the last word.
  3. ⌘S; saved as “test_scapple.txt” using UTF-8 encoding.
  4. Drag the icon from the TextEdit header bar into a blank Scapple board.
  5. Click Split into multiple notes separated by… and indicate a single carriage return by first pressing ⌘A in the text field, then pressing the Return key.
  6. Click Import.

Result: three notes. Before/After sample files included; I’d advise likewise.

I imagine you’re doing a few things different in your procedure though.
Attachments
import_and_split.zip
(1.83 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
Ioa Petra'ka

Ka
Kalense

Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:44 pm Post

AmberV wrote:We’ll need some procedure to follow, preferably starting with the creation of the .txt file you are using to drop into Scrivener. No problems here:

2. Type in “one”, “two”, “three” with each word on its own line; no return after the last word.
  5. Click Split into multiple notes separated by… and indicate a single carriage return by first pressing ⌘A in the text field, then pressing the Return key.
  6. Click Import.

Result: three notes. Before/After sample files included; I’d advise likewise.

I imagine you’re doing a few things different in your procedure though.

I've followed this procedure exactly. It works perfectly with 3 words. It doesn't work at all with the notes I want to use (see below). I've also tried dropping the .txt file into Scapple using Finder. I've also tried copying the entire text and pasting into Scapple. All I get is a single note with the posts listed in it.

Here is my list that I want as separate notes:

zoonoses
water allocation
waste (greenhouse gasses)
violence
supply chain breakdown
soil degradation and loss
security
sea level rise
population growth
pollution
plastic
pandemics
ocean acidification
migration
inequity
impoverishment, market collapse
human demands
health hazards
habitat fragmentation
habitat conversion
ghg emissions
geopolitical rivalry
fossil fuel decline
food chain disruption
fire (Amazon, Arctic)
financial e.g. Eurocrisis
failed states
extinction
expanding exploitation
epidemics
energy availability
ecosystem disruption
economic growth
democratic backsliding (Brexit)
deforestation
climate change
biofuels
biodiversity loss
air travel

popcornflix

Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:37 pm Post

bobembry wrote:Occasionally I have a block of text containing multiple paragraphs, it would be convenient to paste each paragraph into a separate note — stacked. Blank lines would have to be removed before the paste.

You could do this with Keyboard Maestro. It would take some work, so you'll probably have to ask for help from the user forum. The steps would be like this:
-Copy the list to the clipboard
-Separate the paragraphs on the clipboard into a variable as an array, delineated by <CR>s
-Loop through the array, pasting each into a new note using keyboard shortcuts in Scapple.
.:popcornFlix:.

lunk

Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:41 am Post

Kalense wrote:
AmberV wrote:We’ll need some procedure to follow, preferably starting with the creation of the .txt file you are using to drop into Scrivener. No problems here:

6. Click Import.

It doesn't work at all with the notes I want to use (see below).

I tested with your list, did exactly like AmberV wrote, and got the result in the image. Every row a separate note, but they didn't have any borders. Command-A selects them all and shows that they are indeed separate notes.

I have used this to separate large chunks of text, inserting a chosen split-character (like ##) and then importing the text to split. Works perfectly.

Screen Shot 2019-10-05 at 10.32.49.jpg
Screen Shot 2019-10-05 at 10.32.49.jpg (81.37 KiB) Viewed 453 times
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running Mojave.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

Ka
Kalense

Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:05 pm Post

Thanks AmberV.

It simply doesn't work for me.

I'm following the procedure exactly but getting a different result.

What is going on? This is extremely frustrating.

Here is the screenshot of what my result looks like.

ImageScapple Screen Shot by Martin Sharman, on Flickr

lunk

Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:12 pm Post

Did you remeber step 1?
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running Mojave.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

Ka
Kalense

Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:47 pm Post

lunk wrote:Did you remeber step 1?

Yes. You can see that in the screen shot. If I hadn't had it as plain text, you would see the name of the font, the font size, and all the bells and whistles for bold text, italics and underlining, as well as tab stops. This is just text. No formatting.

lunk

Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:02 pm Post

I copy-pasted your list from the forum into TextEdit, then dragged the icon from the header bar in TextEdit into Scapple, got the query about split character, and all worked.
It lloks as if you have soft line feeds and not carriage return, to get it as one note.

Ka
Kalense

Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:08 pm Post

They are hard carriage returns, as represented in Word by ^p.

Ka
Kalense

Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:24 pm Post

Lunk's suggestion gave me the inspiration to end each line (and hoped-for note) with #. This produced the result I wanted.

Lunk, tack så mycket för ditt förslag. Jag hälsar dig från nära Sundsvall.