Scapple (and Scrivenar) suggestions

le
legendary
Platform: Mac

Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:12 pm Post

I love both of these apps and have supported them from the beginning.

Does L&L actually read any of these suggestions and action any of these changes? How many suggestions about modifier contraint / alignment functions in Scapple do we need to make before they get heard?

I do feel that L&L enforce an ideology on their products without listening to real-world feedback at times. I've had this experience with both Scrivenar and Scapple over the years.

Yes, Scapple is meant to be freeform. Okay, but there are some alignment functions available - why not include some constraint options via modifier keys? Does this really corrupt the free-form ideology?

Please listen to your user base. These are the apps I want to use, but L&Ls approach feels incredibly obtuse at times.

Regards

kewms

Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:08 pm Post

We read all feedback. All suggestions are considered.

Whether and when a particular suggestion will actually be implemented depends on how well it fits the overall product, how difficult it is to do, and where it falls on our overall development priorities.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

le
legendary

Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:10 pm Post

And regarding the specific issue raised of modifier keys for alignment - it's currently possible to align after the fact via various menus, which is cumbersome and ineffective, but not while working via modifier keys. Can you address this issue specifically? Thanks

Ka
Katherina_74
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:00 pm Post

I just downloaded the trial version of Scapple, and very likely will purchase it.

I plan on using Scapple as a backward flowchart for different projects. What I would love to see is a grid background where I can layout the month when different branches of the project need to be completed. I have tried other systems and apps, but nothing has worked. I see a huge potential for such planning with Scapple and I hope the feature becomes available in the future.

May be there is a workaround this too, and that feature might not be necessary. I will keep experimenting.

le
legendary

Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:27 am Post

Can my previous question be addressed please?

Again: will modifier keys be introduced to help with alignment while creating charts, not after the fact?

lunk

Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:46 am Post

L&L never tell in advance what they plan to implement, or when. The general answer is ”you buy the product in its current shape”.

You won’t get an answer. :)
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

lunk

Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:59 am Post

Katherina_74 wrote:What I would love to see is a grid background where I can layout the month when different branches of the project need to be completed.

You can have any image as your background, so you could make one yourself. The only limitation to that is that the Scapple board has no limits. It will keep expanding of you let it, and your image won’t. But if you make your background image sufficiently large it should work.
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

le
legendary

Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:53 pm Post

lunk wrote:L&L never tell in advance what they plan to implement, or when. The general answer is ”you buy the product in its current shape”.

You won’t get an answer. :)

Absolutely true. To L&L: I supported you from day one, but because of your arrogant attitude towards your supporters regarding both pieces of software, I'm out.

kewms

Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:09 pm Post

So you're saying we can't win?

If we provide a roadmap and release dates, we get raked over the coals if we fail to meet them.

If we don't, we're arrogant?

Got it, thanks,

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:15 pm Post

kewms wrote:So you're saying we can't win?

If we provide a roadmap and release dates, we get raked over the coals if we fail to meet them.

If we don't, we're arrogant?

Got it, thanks,

You forgot the option "provide a roadmap and release dates, hit the targets, and be crucified because you didn't include the niche features/fixes three people wanted."

How dare you not invent time travel so you can combat the 24-hour day.

YOU MONSTERS.
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Winner "Best in Class", 2018 My First Supervillain Photo Shoot

le
legendary

Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:20 am Post

Who's raking L&L over the coals for not meeting release dates?

It's about a measured response to queries and suggestions.

And they're hardly niche requests.

lunk

Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:02 pm Post

legendary wrote:Who's raking L&L over the coals for not meeting release dates?
A lot of people. There are several threads with angry people because L&L made a guess about when the new Win version would be released and missed it. The same before the iOS version was ready.

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:15 am Post

legendary wrote:Who's raking L&L over the coals for not meeting release dates?

It's about a measured response to queries and suggestions.

And they're hardly niche requests.

The same people who don't read the forums when L&L take the time to respond and explain why they won't implement a (commonly requested) feature, that they don't design features by popularity contest (unlike some software publishers that everyone loves to rag on but manages to implement a number of features that people seem to really want even when using software specifically designed to Not Act Like That).
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Winner "Best in Class", 2018 My First Supervillain Photo Shoot