Scrivener for iPad

robertdguthrie
Platform: Mac

Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:47 pm Post

I wish I could find this level of maturity elsewhere on the internets. I'm impressed with everyone involved in this discussion for being willing and able to make nice after being offended/annoyed. Too often, I've seen minor turns of phrase conflated into perceived insults on a poster's thoughts, appearance and very existence. And on the rare occasions where discussions here do devolve into name-calling and disparaging theories on a person's lineage, it's almost always in reference to vic-k, and therefore in good fun. :P

Now I must go and post to another forum, where some troglodyte has claimed that Ninjas have even the remotest chance of subduing a pirate ship and it's crew. :roll:
Often wrong, rarely in doubt.
Time for a change... I'm now rdale; same dog-avatar, same dog... channel?

rw
rwodaski

Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:13 pm Post

KB wrote:I apologise if my own responses came off particularly harsh rather than "fed-up-of-iPad-ish".

Which merely illustrates how strong the desire for iPad support is, right? :o

I remember (and can understand) the reasons why iPad support doesn't exist. But the inability to grab my iPad and edit a chunk of text is the only real annoyance I have with Scrivener. As much as I sympathize with your annoyance, I have my own opposite annoyance. So it goes, eh?

It's also annoying that there is no RTF support on the iPad.

FWIW, the iPad is the center of my creative life, and it is physically capable as a content creation platform (i create animations both hand drawn and more formally constituted, I edit movies, I sketch and create grpahic art, I take - sometimes copious - notes). I just can't edit anything I've written because Scrivener content can't be touched on the iPad. So I carry my 17" laptop everywhere I go, as well as my iPad. I think of your dilemma every time I leave the house - that's my side of the annoyance equation. <g>

If you should ever have the time to address this, the bare minimum that is required is the ability to open a text chunk and edit it, then put it back. I do this with Dropbox for the (minimal) text I have to write in MS Word for cooperative projects with non-Scrivener types. So I understand the value proposition quite well, which only increases my pain. :shock:

KB
Site Admin

Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:20 pm Post

Have you read any of my other replies? Or my posts elsewhere? Or my blog post? You know, the bits about how Scrivener 2.0 has Simplenote and Dropbox-useful-for-use-with-the-upcoming-PlainText-for-iPad-app?

Just wondering. :?

rw
rwodaski

Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:46 pm Post

KB wrote:Have you read any of my other replies? Or my posts elsewhere? Or my blog post? You know, the bits about how Scrivener 2.0 has Simplenote and Dropbox-useful-for-use-with-the-upcoming-PlainText-for-iPad-app?

Just wondering. :?

I see stuff about that from time to time; so far, the stuff that was posted (at least that I have managed to find; I'm doing a dropbox search right now) fell too far short to be practical. Typically, the required steps get in the way of maintaining creative flow. But it's been a bit, in fact I'm here hoping to uncover some better news. If one does not spend frequent time in the forum (and I''m not able to do that; I go long stretches working my butt off with never enough time <g>), it's hard to find your way around.

let's see what I can find. It's the nature of a forum that things get scattered. I wrote that reply because I hadn't found anything useful. I'm especially having a hard time finding out what is going to be in Scrivener 2 - am I missing something there? Have you got a description up somewhere, or is it still in flux? The only thing I've found so far as from way back, last year.

Continuing to look...

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:56 pm Post

It sounds like most of the tips you've gleaned are from the iPad for Writing/Research thread, which primarily discusses what can be done now, and yes I would agree that right now there is a good deal of "mechanics" involved---all over the place, not just with Scrivener, it's still a very new workflow and platform. The new system under discussion will work seamlessly with Simplenote or file & folder based services like Dropbox. You'll need to set it up a bit the first time, but after that keeping these two resources in sync will be extremely simple, and no more creatively jarring than opening Scrivener, I'd say.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

KB
Site Admin

Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:59 pm Post

I have indeed only hinted at what's to come so far - but I have said that some stuff is coming in 2.0 that will do much of what you want. I haven't announced the exact featureset yet and won't until early September.

As for the desire for the iPad version, as I have said elsewhere, it is nothing compared to the desire for a Windows version, and has significantly tapered off since more people have become accustomed to what the iPad actually does. But I'm not getting involved in that discussion again, as it's been done here to death!

dr
druid
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:57 am Post

zenmonkey wrote:En alhoewel ik erg veel respect heb voor de mensen die er oneindig veel meer van af weten dan ik, vind ik het toch erg jammer dat een mens niet gewoon enkele vragen kan stellen, enkele statements kan maken zonder weggejaagd te worden.

Whoa, now I really feel low. Dissed in Dutch! A great country and people, and my favorite stop in Europe.

Sorry, zm.....I really should learn to be more patient and emulate Keith and Amber, who answer the same questions over and over and over. Mea culpa.

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:15 am Post

druid wrote:I really should learn to be more patient and emulate Keith and Amber, who answer the same questions over and over and over. Mea culpa.
Nahhh!! :shock: Why change the habit of a lifetime, Snapper? :?
Vic
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.