Scrivener for iPad

AndreasE

Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:33 pm Post

The only "iPad-backend" that would make sense I can imagine would be a tool to help proofreading. The workflow would be like this:

1. You write and re-write on your work (novel or something else) in Scrivener as usual.
2. You compile it unto the iPad.
3. There your work-in-progress appears as a beautiful ebook.
4. You leave your desk, take your iPad to your couch, sit down there and read what you have written. Due to the changed shape in which it appears, you suddenly see a lot of possibilities to improve what you have written. Whenever you stumble across a word that's not right and you likle to change, a sentence you want to delete, or whenever you like to make an annotation, you just do it in the "book" you are reading.
5. When you're done, you somehow tunnel back all your annotations into Scrivener, where all corrections, deletions, annotation simply pop up as if you made it there.
6. Proceed from point 1 until deadline arrives... :wink:

If this workflow would be possible, I'd buy an iPad the same day. But I doubt seriously this will ever happen in my lifetime.

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:47 pm Post

The trouble would be getting the notes back in. With Scrivener 2.0 you can export to epub and therefore view your work in iBooks easily enough, but there isn't any way to take notes and have said nonexistent notes come back into Scrivener.

Best,
Keith

Je
Jeff Imig

Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:55 am Post

re taking notes on iPad ... I'd say EverNote. It works great on iPod Touch... I'm using it for all kinds of things. With multitasking it should work. Wondering if EverNote opens ePub... hmmm should go check.
Favorite text color: Amber on black. The magic numbers are FFBB00 ... it takes me back to my Atari days.

KB
Site Admin

Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:29 pm Post

Notes will sync with Simplenote, as I say. No plans for Evernote right now, as that works in the opposite direction - Simplenote sync will make it easy to take notes from a Scrivener project to the iPad and then have them back in the Scrivener project again when you return to your computer.

Best,
Keith

scamper

Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:44 am Post

KB wrote:So: any putative future version of Scrivener-for-iPad (not ruled out, not in the works) would not be complete Scrivener solution, no matter what - for the reasons given above - and a desktop version would always be the hub.)

Actually, that sounds ideal to me. I don’t need to corkboard or adjustable split views or all manner of fonts and styles (beyond the basics). I think an app like this might be viable simply as a single-chapter viewer. If you could manage multiple chapters in the left pane, and writing area on the right (a la Simplenote), even better. But much more than that would be overkill. “On the go” should be the aim, not feature-by-feature parity (which would drive any developer bonkers!). This plus a painless sync back to the Scrivener hub on the Mac.

So, yes, I’d definitely be interested in something like this. Scrivener Lite, I’d buy that.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:04 am Post

That's the cutest avatar on the planet, by the way.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

KB
Site Admin

Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:31 am Post

If you could manage multiple chapters in the left pane, and writing area on the right (a la Simplenote), even better. But much more than that would be overkill.

Scrivener 2.0 will in fact have Simplenote sync, so you will be quite well served for this sort of basic editing until we can explore iPad possibilities in more depth.

Best,
Keith

scamper

Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:56 am Post

And Hog Bay’s PlainText app (which I just saw) is looking exactly like the app I was describing. All it needs (yeah, there’s always the clause) is bold and italic.

KB
Site Admin

Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:16 am Post

All it needs (yeah, there’s always the clause) is bold and italic.

Ha, you won't be seeing that in many iPad apps for the next year or two - even any putative Scrivener-for-iPad wouldn't have bold or italics. This is entirely down to Apple not making rich text capabilities available on the iPad. They've used private APIs to achieve it with Pages; Office2 HD have managed it, but goodness knows how; but I doubt you'll see rich text apps coming from other developers for some time.

Scrivener 2.0 should also be able to sync with Hog Bay's PlainText, though.

Best,
Keith

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:19 am Post

If it had bold and italics, it wouldn't really be called PlainText then, anyway. :)
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

scamper

Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:19 pm Post

KB wrote:
This is entirely down to Apple not making rich text capabilities available on the iPad. They've used private APIs to achieve it with Pages

Amazing. And I know I shouldn’t have expected as much from an app called “PlainText.” Still, Apple’s is a frustrating omission for those of us who want to do more than write Notes, but who have no use for wrapping text around a giraffe’s neck.

I remember in the early 1980s when I got my second computer, an Apple IIe, capable of displaying both upper and lower case letters. It seemed like a real feat then, just as API-enabled RTF support will be (hopefully) in upcoming iterations of iOS. Until then I may have to notate italics **thusly**.

Ke
Kendric

Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:08 pm Post

I know you're not considering developing one for iPad/iPhone 4 right now... but I'd buy it if you produced it. In a heartbeat.

I was out and about the other day, had an idea for a project I'm working on. It would have been wonderful to just whip out my iPhone and go. I actually had it out of my pocket before I remembered that the best I could do was WriteRoom.

KB
Site Admin

Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:25 pm Post

In 2.0 you'll be able to add a note in Simplenote or Hog Bay's PlainText and have it import or sync with your Scrivener project really easily.

In the meantime, you can of course just use a notepad or e-mail yourself your ideas - I know many people think Copy and Paste is akin to using a mangle these days, but it does still work. :)

StaceyUK
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:33 pm Post

KB wrote:I know many people think Copy and Paste is akin to using a mangle these days, but it does still work. :)

Great quote!
Blessings, Stacey

System Specs

Windows 7
Scrivener 1.9.7 / 2.8 /3.0.3/1.1.5 (1301)
Scapple 1.0.0.0
Windows 2.9.0.26 Beta

Wr
Wrex

Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:04 am Post

How about an iPad/iPhone version that would work in conjunction with another app, such as Documents to Go?

I was thinking of getting a netbook running linux for writing portability, then I got hooked on Scrivener and am reluctantly considering a used Macbook Air. I can't see doing lots of writing on an iPad, but my Dad has one and it's certainly portable maybe for light editing or using with a keyboard.

I currently use Documents to Go for my iPhone and I love being able to keep all my writing files on my phone. It's just a matter of exporting my Scrivener files to .doc format and the folder they are in automatically syncs to my phone. I certainly can't use the phone for writing or editing, but it's really handy to have that list of characters or draft of the last chapter I've been working on if, for instance, I'm sitting in a doctor's waiting room and want to brainstorm or plan ahead. I'd love to be able to push a button and sync all my Scrivener files to my phone without converting individually, but I understand the challenges involved. But if it would build upon an already existing app--Documents to Go or something similar--would that make it more doable? I might even consider an iPad intead of a Macbook air if I felt I could use it for that. I still think Apple missed the boat not making a netbook, though. It's hard to get excited about a device that is basically a bigger version of my phone without the phone part.