Scrivener should become subscription

Pe
Pen_and_Sword
Platform: iOS

Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:36 am Post

I will support Scrivener whether it’s one-time pay, yearly pay like Agenda, or subscription.

Just please update the iOS app :D

It’s got the potential to be so utterly glorious.

ps
pseingalt
Platform: Mac

Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:28 pm Post

Please do not do so. I also have a Ulysses subscription. During the year, I got a new credit card. Late on a Sunday night, with no warning, Ulysses sent a renewal through, Since the credit card number was no longer valid, the renewal was declined. So they tried again.
And again.
And again.
Until the bank's security protocols were activated. Now my Apple account is suspended. I am stranded overseas due the pandemic and the nearest branch is 8000 km away.
(I won't go into the issue of how an Apple Store license is a 'lesser' license, but it is.)
Ulysses' corporate couldn't do anything, or so they claimed.

kewms

Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:10 pm Post

pseingalt wrote:Please do not do so. I also have a Ulysses subscription. During the year, I got a new credit card. Late on a Sunday night, with no warning, Ulysses sent a renewal through, Since the credit card number was no longer valid, the renewal was declined. So they tried again.
And again.
And again.

Bad store design! Best practice would be to let it decline once, *maybe* twice, then send the customer an email asking what they want to do. And when the failure can be anticipated -- like the card is past its expiration date -- send the email *first.*

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

GryphonGordon
Platform: Windows

Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:31 pm Post

Oh, heck and more heck no! If they want to license collaboration or reasonably limit the number of synch documents or services or other premiums I'd certainly understand this, but if or when the basic application turns into YA subscription model, that is when I export my docs and just go somewhere else. I'm a hobbyist, not a superuser or dependent professional.

Ru
RuffPub
Platform: Mac + Windows

Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:00 pm Post

pseingalt wrote:Please do not do so. I also have a Ulysses subscription. During the year, I got a new credit card. Late on a Sunday night, with no warning, Ulysses sent a renewal through, Since the credit card number was no longer valid, the renewal was declined. So they tried again.
And again.
And again.
Until the bank's security protocols were activated. Now my Apple account is suspended. I am stranded overseas due the pandemic and the nearest branch is 8000 km away.
(I won't go into the issue of how an Apple Store license is a 'lesser' license, but it is.)

It sounds as if you have the App Store version and your App Store account has been locked due to outstanding balance? If it is the App Store it wasn’t Ulysses sending a renewal through but the App Store subscription which you signed for being processed. Catches a lot of people out (diary when subscription renewals are due, and make sure subscription payment methods are kept up to date?) If so and you have a new card log on and change your App Store payment method. It should attempt to clear any outstanding charges and unlock the account. If you are unable to, call AppleCare for assistance. They can assist to unlock the account.

ps
pseingalt

Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:26 pm Post

RuffPub wrote:
And again.
And again.

It sounds as if you have the App Store version and your App Store account has been locked due to outstanding balance? If it is the App Store it wasn’t Ulysses sending a renewal through but the App Store subscription which you signed for being processed. Catches a lot of people out (diary when subscription renewals are due, and make sure subscription payment methods are kept up to date?) If so and you have a new card log on and change your App Store payment method. It should attempt to clear any outstanding charges and unlock the account. If you are unable to, call AppleCare for assistance. They can assist to unlock the account.

The lesser license of the App Store version, unfortunately.
No outstanding balance: the old card expired; new card issued before the Sickness.
Subscription fatigue. To diary them is not impossible, but not practical either.
"If you have a new card": you didn't read the post. The App Store payment method cannot be changed using current card, according to Officer Algorithm,
Cannot call Apple Care from overseas, but thanks.
I am sure your suggestions are well-intended and probably apply to someone whose circumstances fit them.

Ru
RuffPub

Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:55 pm Post

pseingalt wrote:
The lesser license of the App Store version, unfortunately.
No outstanding balance: the old card expired; new card issued before the Sickness.
Subscription fatigue. To diary them is not impossible, but not practical either.
"If you have a new card": you didn't read the post. The App Store payment method cannot be changed using current card, according to Officer Algorithm,
Cannot call Apple Care from overseas, but thanks.
I am sure your suggestions are well-intended and probably apply to someone whose circumstances fit them.

My suggestions were based on the most common causes of the issue you appeared to describe, including when attempts are made to charge a subscription with an expired card.

A call to AppleCare will almost always resolve the issue. I don’t know where you are compared to the account etc but in most countries there’s a local number to call and/or chat support. In most countries, you can also get Apple to call you.

Clearly I don’t know what unusual, uncommon group of circumstances/location apply to you that mean the usual trouble-free approaches are non-starters. I also haven’t a clue what ‘officer algorithm’ means.

Thanks for the backhand.

th
thomas.neuburger
Platform: Linux + Windows

Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:11 pm Post

kewms wrote:I think Keith has previously expressed his lack of interest in the subscription model.

Katherine

Thank you!

Thomas

fu
fuentesmax

Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:42 pm Post

Not really, I don't think it should be like that, at least in my opinion.

St
Stardust

Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:33 pm Post

Please no subscription. I moved from the App Store version to L&L. Syncing with Dropbox requires a minimum of patience, writing does, too.

ps
pseingalt

Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:25 pm Post

RuffPub wrote:
pseingalt wrote:

A call to AppleCare will almost always resolve the issue. I don’t know where you are compared to the account etc but in most countries there’s a local number to call and/or chat support. In most countries, you can also get Apple to call you.

I also haven’t a clue what ‘officer algorithm’ means.

Thanks for the backhand.

When I said there's no official Apple presence here and no way to call, I meant just that.

The algorithm is AI, not a human being. So "Officer Algorithm" is a name given to a non-human AI security official who only understands those inputs it knows about. When Officer Algorithm thinks "all paper is letter-sized and there's an Apple Store with a +1 telephone number in your neighborhood" and you say, "but wait, my paper size is A4 and I can't dial +1 numbers" Officer Algorithm doesn't know what to do.

Ru
RuffPub

Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:41 am Post

pseingalt wrote:
When I said there's no official Apple presence here and no way to call, I meant just that.

The algorithm is AI, not a human being. So "Officer Algorithm" is a name given to a non-human AI security official who only understands those inputs it knows about. When Officer Algorithm thinks "all paper is letter-sized and there's an Apple Store with a +1 telephone number in your neighborhood" and you say, "but wait, my paper size is A4 and I can't dial +1 numbers" Officer Algorithm doesn't know what to do.

And I still have no idea what you are saying. What country are you in?

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:34 am Post

If Apple was happy to sell you stuff via the App Store in your country I’d be absolutely amazed if your country wasn’t on this list of local numbers to call:
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201232

Of course most of those numbers are freephone lines which is irritating enough in itself as they’re free from landlines (who still has one of those? Thanks, Apple) but expensive from mobiles. A regular number would actually be cheaper (free - or at least in included minutes) for many (most? Almost all?) users.

I’d also be absolutely amazed if you genuinely can’t change your credit card details for the App Store. You might need to do it via your Apple ID (if memory serves) which has very sensible security precautions attached so not just as simple as typing in new numbers and clicking update — but if Apple have a bug that means there are some customers they’re not able to take money from, I can assure you they’ll want to know about it!
http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
Image Image

ps
pseingalt

Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:47 pm Post

pigfender wrote:If Apple was happy to sell you stuff via the App Store in your country I’d be absolutely amazed if your country wasn’t on this list of local numbers to call:
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201232

Of course most of those numbers are freephone lines which is irritating enough in itself as they’re free from landlines (who still has one of those? Thanks, Apple) but expensive from mobiles. A regular number would actually be cheaper (free - or at least in included minutes) for many (most? Almost all?) users.

I’d also be absolutely amazed if you genuinely can’t change your credit card details for the App Store. You might need to do it via your Apple ID (if memory serves) which has very sensible security precautions attached so not just as simple as typing in new numbers and clicking update — but if Apple have a bug that means there are some customers they’re not able to take money from, I can assure you they’ll want to know about it!

This is a good example of what I call the "expat tax." "Things can't work that way..." except they do. We're way off point here, but;

1) buy a product in one country
2) travel to another country
3) stay in the other country due to the pandemic
4) Officer Algorithm thinks you live in the other country: you don't.
5) You could pay $$ to call Apple--maybe.
6) You don't want to pay $$ to call Apple.
7) Apple is not in the country where you are physically located.
Etc.
What astonishes me is that developers can't fix these problems either.
Without reading my other posts the situation may not make sense because subsequent posts are incomplete. I've made my point and had my say. The Apple Store software license is a lesser license not controlled by the developer. Over and out.

kewms

Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:52 pm Post

FWIW, we've also had support issues when people moved to countries where the Apple Store isn't available at all. And of course neither we nor any other developer can control how Apple's licensing requirements might change in the future.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team