Adding a compile wizard that will walk new users through the compile process step-by-step

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:27 am Post

zeddd wrote:Casual users can and do invest time and money in software all the time. What makes them casual users isn't whether or not they would pay for software but their level of comfort in using computer programs, in general. If it's confusing or difficult to use you may have a low conversion rate from a free trial to paying customers and that's a big deal.

And since none of us has access to L&L's download and sales data, there's no real point in any of us trying to tell them how to run their business, now is there? They've managed to keep things up and running for a while now and the sheer uptick in drive-by forum postings is at least one indicator that they enjoy a reasonable number of customers who are willing to pay for the software.

Not everything needs to be or SHOULD be catered to the lowest common denominator.
--
Devin L. Ganger
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Life has a way of moving you past wants and hopes -- Kevin Flynn

kewms
Platform: Mac

Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:07 pm Post

zeddd wrote:If you haven't done so already, I would suggest running a few focus groups to get feedback on what an average user would find useful. I think you might be surprised to find how little control casual users actually want. Most simply want to output their document with as few clicks as possible. I'd wager that the overwhelming majority could make do with the default formats if they were presented in a streamlined fashion so as to not overload their senses.

To "output a document with as few clicks as possible," simply choose one of the default formats. There's a list right there in the main Compile screen.

As I noted up above, though, plenty of casual users of software are still very serious writers, with very sophisticated publication requirements. No wizard is going to be able to eliminate the complexity that is inherent in what they are trying to do.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

jc
jcarman

Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:38 am Post

kewms wrote:
jcarman wrote:I spoke too soon.

I get Times New roman with these settings.

What are you using to open the resulting file?

Does that software have access to the font you're using?

Katherine

I am using PDF Export in the print dialog to make the file and I open it in Preview.

gr
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:22 am Post

One of the things L&L did do during the development of version 3 and the new Compile function was gather data on how people tend to structure their Binder — to find out, for example whether typical users might generally use a Part - Chapter - Scene type hierarchy, etc. This resulted in a system whereby Compile formats can default to assigning Section Types automatically by Binder structure. This one move makes it possible for new users to simply use a canned Compile format to get rich output without doing any heavy lifting — no delving into compile settings or even assigning documents to section types.

So, the new and casual user has a way to proceed without too much fuss.

I think, zeddd, it is when someone wants to open the hood and customize their own compile format that things get more complex!
gr : Scrivener user : not affiliated with Lit^Lat
"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." —Philip Larkin

kewms

Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:15 am Post

jcarman wrote:
I am using PDF Export in the print dialog to make the file and I open it in Preview.

Try setting up a document using this font in TextEdit, and printing to PDF with the standard Apple dialog. If that works, please open a support ticket and attach a sample project demonstrating the problem.
https://www.literatureandlatte.com/contact-us

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

xiamenese

Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:36 am Post

jcarman wrote:I am using PDF Export in the print dialog to make the file and I open it in Preview.

Excuse me for asking, but what does PDF export in the print dialog have to do with setting up compile in Scrivener?

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
M1 MacBook Air (2021), 11.2.3, 16GB RAM, !TB SSID
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.7, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 14.4.1, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

jc
jcarman

Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:15 am Post

The discussion is a bit split, isn't it?

jc
jcarman

Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:17 am Post

xiamenese wrote:
jcarman wrote:I am using PDF Export in the print dialog to make the file and I open it in Preview.

Excuse me for asking, but what does PDF export in the print dialog have to do with setting up compile in Scrivener?

Mark

I will. However, I am sure my lack of understanding is behind this.

kewms

Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:58 am Post

xiamenese wrote:

Mark

You can Compile to Print, and then send the file to PDF. But I don't know if that's what this user is doing.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

gr

Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:09 pm Post

If jcarman is using the print-to-pdf function (standard feature of the mac print dialog box), that would certainly explain everything. One’s compile format font settings do not effect directly printing or directly printing to pdf. So, he woukd be getting Times in his direct output b/c that is the font used on his text in the Scriv editor.

gr

jc
jcarman

Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:11 pm Post

That's what I'm doing. I did not know those setting wouldn't pass through. I'm not using Times in the editor, however, but Helvetica.

kewms

Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:41 pm Post

Just to clarify, printing directly from the editor is a completely separate function from Compile, intended as a convenience for your own use. It ignores your Compile settings completely.

Compiling to Print *does* use the Compile settings, as does Compiling to PDF and printing the result.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

gr

Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:03 am Post

jcarman wrote:That's what I'm doing. I did not know those setting wouldn't pass through. I'm not using Times in the editor, however, but Helvetica.

There are settings under File > Page Setup that you can use to effect your direct-from-editor printing or print-to-pdf, including one that will set/change the font. If you go to that dialog and hit the top pop-up menu and choose Scrivener, you will a raft of Print settings special to Scriv direct output. Under the Text tab is an option to set the font. Maybe check that to see if that is how the result you are seeing is happening.

gr

jc
jcarman

Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:54 pm Post

Those settings you have pointed out fix my issue generally. Thank you. However, it breaks special fonts I use.

I'm trying to get what is in the editor to print as-is. I'd like to use section layouts and the like, but so far, manually doing everything seems to be the only way to get what I want.

kewms

Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:06 pm Post

The simplest way to print what you see in the Editor exactly as-is is the File -> Print Current Document command.

The second simplest is the Default Compile Format.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team