Scrapple color connections

jd
jdsandara
Platform: Windows

Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:37 pm Post

I haven't been using Scrapple very long, so forgive me if this feature exists and I can't find it. I have searched online and found nothing and even was surprised that I couldn't find this wish already.

I have a fairly complex double intrigue type story with a lot of connections between people and places. It's hard, even with the help of Scrapple to keep them all straight. It would really help if in addition to dotted lines and arrows if I could color these. For instance a love connection is red arrow, but a false love would be red dotted, a friendship could be yellow, one person betraying another would be black, etc.

I think this would be a great way to find connections with one quick glance.

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:36 pm Post

ScRapple..? :shock:
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

mb
mbbntu

Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:22 am Post

Yes, I suspect a lot of people are familiar with the game called Scrabble, and insert a letter that isn't there.
You should judge people not by how close they get to the top, but by how far they have come from the bottom. Some people have a mountain to climb just to get to the place where others start out. (Me, 2010)

xiamenese
Platform: Mac

Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:32 am Post

Scrapple, also known by the Pennsylvania Dutch name Pannhaas or "pan rabbit",[1][2] is traditionally a mush of pork scraps and trimmings combined with cornmeal and wheat flour, often buckwheat flour, and spices. The mush is formed into a semi-solid congealed loaf, and slices of the scrapple are then pan-fried before serving.

From Wikipedia!

:)

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
rMBP 13" (early 2015) 10.14.5, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
2017 iPad, iOS 12.3.1, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

mb
mbbntu

Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:12 am Post

Well, I suppose you could say that some of my mind maps are like that ...

:mrgreen:
You should judge people not by how close they get to the top, but by how far they have come from the bottom. Some people have a mountain to climb just to get to the place where others start out. (Me, 2010)

lunk

Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:42 am Post

jdsandara wrote:I have a fairly complex double intrigue type story with a lot of connections between people and places. It's hard, even with the help of Scrapple to keep them all straight.

Excuse me for asking, but... if you, being the author and inventor of the story, can’t keep track of the intrigue and all the connections, how do you expect a reader to be able to do it while reading? Or are you planning to provide the reader with a Scapple map of all the connections?
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:31 pm Post

lunk wrote:
jdsandara wrote:I have a fairly complex double intrigue type story with a lot of connections between people and places. It's hard, even with the help of Scrapple to keep them all straight.

Excuse me for asking, but... if you, being the author and inventor of the story, can’t keep track of the intrigue and all the connections, how do you expect a reader to be able to do it while reading? Or are you planning to provide the reader with a Scapple map of all the connections?

One might presume that during the process of writing, when such connections can be in flux, it is much harder to keep track of them to make sure they are properly recorded, than it is to read the result where such connections have been set in stone. The former is keeping track of possible vs. actual, the latter is simply noting which connections have been revealed, No?
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Winner "Best in Class", 2018 My First Supervillain Photo Shoot

Jo
JoRo
Platform: Mac

Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:11 pm Post

jdsandara wrote:I haven't been using Scrapple very long, so forgive me if this feature exists and I can't find it. I have searched online and found nothing and even was surprised that I couldn't find this wish already.

I have a fairly complex double intrigue type story with a lot of connections between people and places. It's hard, even with the help of Scrapple to keep them all straight. It would really help if in addition to dotted lines and arrows if I could color these. For instance a love connection is red arrow, but a false love would be red dotted, a friendship could be yellow, one person betraying another would be black, etc.

I think this would be a great way to find connections with one quick glance.

Not what you want (nice idea, by the way), but do line labels at least go someway to helping you do what you want?

Slàinte mhòr.