Make CSV data two-way with Outliner?

En
EndlessLoop
Platform: Mac

Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:59 pm Post

I really like that you can export the Outliner contents as a CSV file.

What I'd really like is a way to import a CSV to the Outliner and have it populate its fields. I understand that this might be complex due to exception handling for missing or badly formed titles and/or cell entries, but I think it could be as simple as if there isn't a corresponding entry in the incoming file or it isn't what Scrivener wants, they are just ignored.

The reason that I'm asking is at the moment I'm working with a project with a lot of custom metadata, and while Scrivener isn't by any means that hard to work with for the entry component, doing it initially in a spreadsheet would be a lot faster.

Thanks for the consideration.

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:55 pm Post

That's definitely a reasonable suggestion, and I've added to the list of possibilities for the future. It won't be entirely trivial because of all the checks it would have to make, and there is quite a lot on the to-do list at the moment, so I cannot promise when or if this will make it in, but it's definitely something I'll look at.

Thanks and all the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."