Add a Basic Macro Capability

Le
LeisaAGH
Platform: Mac + Windows

Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:07 pm Post

Scrivener 3 with the new Bookmarks feature has the capability to do almost everything I want to do, but something that would make Scrivener over the top awesome is to add a basic Macro Capability (NOT a complicated, extensive one like MS Word's macros).

1. Record keystrokes, commands, buttons, etc.
2. Some basic macro commands that you can put in it like" pause" for some kind of input, and something that calls another macro, end, loop, etc. Nothing too complicated.

Maybe in Scrivener 4???? :D

Leisa

mb
mbbntu
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:40 am Post

You should judge people not by how close they get to the top, but by how far they have come from the bottom. Some people have a mountain to climb just to get to the place where others start out. (Me, 2010)

da
dab123
Platform: Mac

Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:17 pm Post

mbbntu wrote:Keyboard Maestro? https://www.keyboardmaestro.com/main/

We should not have to pay $36 to be able to use macros!!

da
dab123

Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:18 pm Post

LeisaAGH wrote:Scrivener 3 with the new Bookmarks feature has the capability to do almost everything I want to do, but something that would make Scrivener over the top awesome is to add a basic Macro Capability (NOT a complicated, extensive one like MS Word's macros).

1. Record keystrokes, commands, buttons, etc.
2. Some basic macro commands that you can put in it like" pause" for some kind of input, and something that calls another macro, end, loop, etc. Nothing too complicated.

Maybe in Scrivener 4???? :D

Leisa

Yes, I agree. Also surprising they don't have a vote system for these ideas. Instead people have to keep posting on them...

mb
mbbntu

Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:52 pm Post

dab123 wrote:Also surprising they don't have a vote system for these ideas. Instead people have to keep posting on them...

I think you are new to these forums, so I'd encourage you to read the developer's comments in the first thread: https://www.literatureandlatte.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=312. Particularly no. 4.
You should judge people not by how close they get to the top, but by how far they have come from the bottom. Some people have a mountain to climb just to get to the place where others start out. (Me, 2010)

da
dab123

Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:27 pm Post

mbbntu wrote:
dab123 wrote:Also surprising they don't have a vote system for these ideas. Instead people have to keep posting on them...

I think you are new to these forums, so I'd encourage you to read the developer's comments in the first thread: https://www.literatureandlatte.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=312. Particularly no. 4.

I have read them. Not sure why this precludes me from politely noting that it is surprising that he does not have a voting system. He could still say he was not bound by any request that gets a lot of votes. But it would certainly help him get a sense of what issues affect many users and thus be more responsive and help prioritize. Otherwise, there may be lots of people who want this, but who are dissuaded from posting precisely because of the "read this" points.

Am
Amcmo

Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:00 am Post

No vote system, because as Keith has said, development decisions aren’t made based on a popularity system. It’s his company and his process.

If Keith and team feel a suggestion fits their vision for Scrivener it may be included.

Given their limited resources - 1 man for iOS who is also chief Mac developer, and dozens of requests holding breath is not recommended even when L&L say a feature is in the pipeline.

That said, what does come through the pipe is always tops.

Ji
JimRac
Platform: Win + iOS

Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:37 pm Post

dab123 wrote:
mbbntu wrote:

I have read them. Not sure why this precludes me from politely noting that it is surprising that he does not have a voting system. He could still say he was not bound by any request that gets a lot of votes. But it would certainly help him get a sense of what issues affect many users and thus be more responsive and help prioritize. Otherwise, there may be lots of people who want this, but who are dissuaded from posting precisely because of the "read this" points.
Hi da123,

My observation from the inordinate amount of time I spend on these forums is that Keith & the windows devs do prioritize issues based on the number of people impacted.

But this thread isn't reporting an *issue*, it's making a *feature request*. That's why it's in the "Wish List" forum.

In his "read this" post, which you've read, Keith clearly summarizes the factors that influence his consideration of feature requests, and "lots of people who want this" is explicitly called out as not being a factor. Bolding mine:
KB wrote:4) Scrivener is not "software-by-committee" and it is not open source. It is based on my personal vision of what I want for my dream writing software - it just happens that Scrivener has a fastastic user base whose suggestions have really helped refine that vision. There are some great software companies - such as the wonderful Hog Bay Software - who add features based on user votes, but - and I am very upfront about this - Literature & Latte is not one of them, and nor will it be. Features are not added based upon how many users press for them, but rather based upon whether or not I think the feature has a place in Scrivener. I base this on both how well I think the suggestion fits with Scrivener and could be integrated into the program, and also on how practical it would be to implement. You can politely try to convince me, but be aware that if I feel like I'm being bullied I might just direct you to the Cocoa documentation and give you tips on how to program your own app. :) With both this and (1) above in mind, please never reply to feature requests posted by others with nothing more than a "+1" - it adds absolutely nothing, and I'm not likely to spend many hours on hundreds of lines of code based on a two-second, two-character vote. :) If you have an opinion on a feature request, please express it politely, explaining exactly how you think it should work and why it would be useful.
So your implied question has already been answered, and I'm surprised at your surprise.

Best,
Jim
I’m just a customer.

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:30 pm Post

dab123 wrote:

Why not? The development effort and overhead for maintaining the code base and providing user support for this kind of feature has been priced by the market at an additional $36 as evidenced by Keyboard Maestro’s success.

What you’re asking here is for KB to do what the people behind KM have done, only for free. Now Keith does do that sort of thing from time to time (lots of additional features have appeared in free upgrades to Scrivener) but it’s worth having some appreciation for the effort (and market value) involved. And of course, KM (and similar apps?) would give you benefit across your entire OS rather than require that same development effort for something that can be used for only single application.
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
"Piggy, I'm beginning to wonder if you are the best person to take advice from." Jaysen, 26 Sept 2014

http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com

To
TomGoodell
Platform: Windows

Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:53 pm Post

LeisaAGH—you list yourself as "Mac + Windows." I'm strictly a Windows guy, and in Windows there's a fabulous, free, open source app called AutoHotkey that provides macro capabilities across all Windows programs. I use it extensively in Scrivener. If you're running Scrivener on Windows it would probably address your needs.

Le
LeisaAGH
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:26 pm Post

Unfortunately, I use Mac for my actual work. I keep up on the Windows version because I teach Scrivener and want to be able to help anyone who uses the Windows version.

However, thanks for letting me know, I might try it in the Windows version and see if there are macros I could create and share with students who have the Windows version. :D

lunk

Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:36 pm Post

LeisaAGH wrote:Unfortunately, I use Mac for my actual work.

Have you looked at Alfred? It can do a lot of things, including issuing keyboard sequences
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

TromboneAl

Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:10 pm Post

dab123 wrote:

It's well worth the investment, and you'll find you use that program in many other applications and situations.
Al Macy
Scrivener Version 3.1.4
iMac 21.5 Version 10.15.1