Typewriter Mode for the iPhone

tx
txmccoy
Platform: Mac

Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:23 pm Post

Are there any plans for typewriter mode on the iPhone? Thanks.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:59 pm Post

Mostly not because there isn’t space for the button, but also the benefits are far less compelling on a phone. The main goal is to keep one from staring at the very bottom of the screen for hours, which isn’t very ergonomic if the bottom of the screen is close to the desk, such as on a laptop or a clamshell style iPad case+keyboard. With a hand held device the main thing typewriter scrolling is going to do is cut the available, already minimal, screen space in half.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

tx
txmccoy

Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:49 pm Post

Thanks, Amber.

I asked the question because when I've used Ulysses on my iPhone, typewriter mode is fantastic and takes absolutely nothing away from the available screen space. Maybe it's a coding issue between the two different writing platforms that accounts for the reason for not having it on Scrivener. I thought I'd ask anyway because it's missed feature, since I most my writing on my iPhone and then edit on my Mac.

Kindest regards,

McCoy

AmberV

Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:42 pm Post

We’ll take a look at it. Once the macOS 3.1 update is out we’ll be focussing on iOS for a while, and so that would be a good time to see if there is a compatible solution.
Ioa Petra'ka

tx
txmccoy

Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:04 pm Post

AmberV wrote:We’ll take a look at it. Once the macOS 3.1 update is out we’ll be focussing on iOS for a while, and so that would be a good time to see if there is a compatible solution.

Thank you, again. That would be super.

Most of my iPhone typing is done with a blue tooth keyboard with the phone on a collapsible stand. Works great. Every once in awhile I use my thumbs.

Kindest regards,

McCoy

Ka
Kalus

Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:12 pm Post

AmberV wrote:We’ll take a look at it. Once the macOS 3.1 update is out we’ll be focussing on iOS for a while, and so that would be a good time to see if there is a compatible solution.

Ooh! Any hints as to what's in the pipeline? :D

AmberV

Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:20 pm Post

Not yet. :mrgreen: We have to get 3.1 for Mac out the door before thinking about that.
Ioa Petra'ka