Per Project Personal Word list

Bi
BigT29
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:17 am
Platform: Windows

Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:05 pm Post

As a story writer one thing that constantly frustrates me about scrivener is that the spellcheck feature really seems to lack a key feature. Personal wordlists are nice but the fact that the list is applied globally kinda kneecaps it, the ability to have the list linked to the project rather than the program.

When i'm writing a sci-fi novella functions pretty well. I can tell it to ignore or learn names, and certain words. But then when I switch to writing and essay or magazine article I don't want it to ignore the same words and names. What's a spelling error in one project can be a proper spelling in another, especially when it comes to names.

Having the/a personal word list that is saved as part of the project would make matters much easier and make spell checking.. less frustrating with scriverner.

User avatar
subgeniuszero
Posts: 279
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:34 am
Platform: Mac
Location: New Albany, IN
Contact:

Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:46 pm Post

I second this feature request. I also want to expand upon it: I think it would be great if Scrivener allowed us to use these "personal word lists" to generate glossaries or appendices for our projects; it would greatly simplify life for those of us who write sci-fi or fantasy epics, which usually come with these sorts of appendices and/or glossaries in the back matter of the book, and which need to be written along with the book. Maintaining these types of word lists, each within a specific project, would help with the generation of these immensely.
"We are star-stuff. We are the universe, made manifest, trying to figure itself out." — Delenn

User avatar
KB
Site Admin
Posts: 20709
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:23 pm
Platform: Mac
Location: Truro, Cornwall
Contact:

Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:26 am Post

I'm afraid this isn't possible because the spell-checking system is provided by macOS, and there is no way to have it learn or ignore words on a project-by-project basis because the spell-checker is global.

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

User avatar
krastev
Posts: 247
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:21 am
Platform: Windows
Contact:

Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:35 pm Post

KB wrote:I'm afraid this isn't possible because the spell-checking system is provided by macOS, and there is no way to have it learn or ignore words on a project-by-project basis because the spell-checker is global.

All the best,
Keith

What about windows?
Krastev
Scrivener for Windows Version 1.9.12.0
Windows 7 & Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Testing Scrivener Beta for Windows

Bi
BigT29
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:17 am
Platform: Windows

Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:12 am Post

krastev wrote:
KB wrote:I'm afraid this isn't possible because the spell-checking system is provided by macOS, and there is no way to have it learn or ignore words on a project-by-project basis because the spell-checker is global.

All the best,
Keith

What about windows?

Yeah. Us windows users aren't bound to those MacOs limitations.

User avatar
devinganger
Posts: 1445
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:55 pm
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS
Location: Monroe, WA 98272 (CN97au)
Contact:

Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:23 am Post

BigT29 wrote:
krastev wrote:
KB wrote:I'm afraid this isn't possible because the spell-checking system is provided by macOS, and there is no way to have it learn or ignore words on a project-by-project basis because the spell-checker is global.

All the best,
Keith

What about windows?

Yeah. Us windows users aren't bound to those MacOs limitations.


We are bound to the limitations of the third-party spelling library we have to use because Windows doesn't provide a system-wide one like OS X.

We are bound to keep our formats interoperable. Having per-project spelling lists on Windows that disappear when the project is synced on iOS or OS X would probably cause more support tickets than it would be worth.
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Winner "Best in Class", 2018 My First Supervillain Photo Shoot

User avatar
krastev
Posts: 247
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:21 am
Platform: Windows
Contact:

Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:53 am Post

devinganger wrote:
BigT29 wrote:
krastev wrote:What about windows?

Yeah. Us windows users aren't bound to those MacOs limitations.


We are bound to the limitations of the third-party spelling library we have to use because Windows doesn't provide a system-wide one like OS X.

We are bound to keep our formats interoperable. Having per-project spelling lists on Windows that disappear when the project is synced on iOS or OS X would probably cause more support tickets than it would be worth.

Your cat :wink: uses very big words and sometimes it's really hard to understand what she/he wants to say. In this particular case, is she/he saying that we can or can't have it? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I'm confused. :?
Krastev
Scrivener for Windows Version 1.9.12.0
Windows 7 & Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Testing Scrivener Beta for Windows

User avatar
devinganger
Posts: 1445
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:55 pm
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS
Location: Monroe, WA 98272 (CN97au)
Contact:

Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:24 am Post

krastev wrote:
devinganger wrote:
BigT29 wrote:Yeah. Us windows users aren't bound to those MacOs limitations.


We are bound to the limitations of the third-party spelling library we have to use because Windows doesn't provide a system-wide one like OS X.

We are bound to keep our formats interoperable. Having per-project spelling lists on Windows that disappear when the project is synced on iOS or OS X would probably cause more support tickets than it would be worth.

Your cat :wink: uses very big words and sometimes it's really hard to understand what she/he wants to say. In this particular case, is she/he saying that we can or can't have it? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I'm confused. :?


Imagine the chaos that would ensue if L&L hacked up aspell and allowed ScrivWin to set per-project spelling lists. Since they can't be supported in OS X or iOS, what would happen to those per-project lists the first time a project was synched between Windows and one of the other formats?
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Winner "Best in Class", 2018 My First Supervillain Photo Shoot

Bi
BigT29
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:17 am
Platform: Windows

Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:52 am Post

devinganger wrote:
krastev wrote:
devinganger wrote:
We are bound to the limitations of the third-party spelling library we have to use because Windows doesn't provide a system-wide one like OS X.

We are bound to keep our formats interoperable. Having per-project spelling lists on Windows that disappear when the project is synced on iOS or OS X would probably cause more support tickets than it would be worth.

Your cat :wink: uses very big words and sometimes it's really hard to understand what she/he wants to say. In this particular case, is she/he saying that we can or can't have it? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I'm confused. :?


Imagine the chaos that would ensue if L&L hacked up aspell and allowed ScrivWin to set per-project spelling lists. Since they can't be supported in OS X or iOS, what would happen to those per-project lists the first time a project was synched between Windows and one of the other formats?

That makes sense but does that really happen a lot? Do windows writers often sync up with their Ipads? Kinda figured they'd be more likely to be using android or surface tablets.

Though it sort of begs the question... why doesn't MacOs support such things. I mean it would be a boon to anyone doing any degree of word processing or working with any large volume of text regularly.

Wait a tick. Scriv already supports having one personal wordlist that is applied to all projects, Now that list is getting stored and called up from somewhere...where is that? Because the way I'm thinking, wouldn't it be just as simple as defining a template, creating a function to export a list to that template, and then simply have a way to tell it where to pull the personal word list from.

That way a user could export a custom word list and simply select that list be loaded from a specific directory/location. While not so much being saved with the document this would achieve the same effect, in fact it would even be better. I mean If a project is one book and you're setting multiple stories in the same world. then having such a thing would go a long way to keeping spellings consistent across multiple stories that share a world.

Working on the second book of the Kingward series? Export the personal list you used in the first one and load it as your personal wordlist for the second. Bam!

As said. It's storing the personal wordlist somewhere, right? just having the option to select where it's stored (export) and where it's loaded from (import) would go a long way and I don't think it would be hurting the MAcos and Ios versions too much I mean if they have a personal wordlist feature as well then it should work much the same way even with MAcOS

User avatar
krastev
Posts: 247
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:21 am
Platform: Windows
Contact:

Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:11 am Post

devinganger wrote:
krastev wrote:
devinganger wrote:
We are bound to the limitations of the third-party spelling library we have to use because Windows doesn't provide a system-wide one like OS X.

We are bound to keep our formats interoperable. Having per-project spelling lists on Windows that disappear when the project is synced on iOS or OS X would probably cause more support tickets than it would be worth.

Your cat :wink: uses very big words and sometimes it's really hard to understand what she/he wants to say. In this particular case, is she/he saying that we can or can't have it? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I'm confused. :?


Imagine the chaos that would ensue if L&L hacked up aspell and allowed ScrivWin to set per-project spelling lists. Since they can't be supported in OS X or iOS, what would happen to those per-project lists the first time a project was synched between Windows and one of the other formats?

Sorry, but that's not relevant here. Aspell and Scrivener already support custom lists, so no hacking needed. The only thing that needs to be implemented is the ability to save and load those lists on a project basis.
OSX or iOS are also not relevant since there is no syncing of the customs lists even now, but that's OK.
What OP wants, and I support it, is, Scrivener for Windows to have such custom lists. If it's not much of a hassle. :mrgreen:

Regards,
M
Krastev
Scrivener for Windows Version 1.9.12.0
Windows 7 & Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Testing Scrivener Beta for Windows

User avatar
devinganger
Posts: 1445
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:55 pm
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS
Location: Monroe, WA 98272 (CN97au)
Contact:

Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:26 am Post

krastev wrote:Sorry, but that's not relevant here.


If you're going to be that way, NONE of our nattering is relevant here. What IS relevant is what L&L think.

krastev wrote:Aspell and Scrivener already support custom lists, so no hacking needed. The only thing that needs to be implemented is the ability to save and load those lists on a project basis.
OSX or iOS are also not relevant since there is no syncing of the customs lists even now, but that's OK.
What OP wants, and I support it, is, Scrivener for Windows to have such custom lists. If it's not much of a hassle.


What everyone who isn't a full-time software developer who makes their living from the product they directly write *AND SUPPORT* keeps forgetting is that's it's not just about whanging the bits around and getting the feature to work. L&L has made multiple commitments to get the Windows version up to par with the Mac version after years of it being behind, because they have a vocal set of customers who a) expect things to Just Work cross-platform and b) are upset when it doesn't.

(Yes, to answer an earlier question, there are many of us Windows users who have iPhones and iPads and use them for Scrivener. It was one of two major reasons that drove my adoption of iPhone after I had to abandon Windows Phone, the other being Android's incredibly messy security/patching/update situation.)

Scriv for Mac allows you to learn custom words, just like Sriv for Windows, across the entire installation (or at least across the logged-in user; I believe they are both across all platforms per-user. They don't sync, but at least it's consistent. Why would they change the project structure to include a feature that could only be implemented on one of the three platforms -- on the platform that (I am willing to bet) is their smallest -- and generate all those tickets for cross-platform scenarios AND get the macOS and iOS folks riled up agitating for an ability they can't/won't deliver on those platforms?

Because that is what it would take. It would take a change to the project structure. It would take (at a minimum) a patch to the macOS and iOS versions to ignore that change to the project structure. That would create yet another project incompatibility barrier.

And all for a feature that, while a few people want it, in the end is low priority given all the other requests/features that are on the list to do *after Windows Scrivener is finally released and caught up*. Features that apply across all platforms, or at least across both desktop platforms.

Windows users have been pissed off for years that Mac has features we don't have. I don't see L&L hurrying to turn the situation around. It doesn't make sense in the larger picture, unless it can be done on Windows *and* macOS at a minimum.
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Winner "Best in Class", 2018 My First Supervillain Photo Shoot

User avatar
krastev
Posts: 247
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:21 am
Platform: Windows
Contact:

Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:43 pm Post

devinganger wrote:What IS relevant is what L&L think.

:arrow: Exactly my point. Good thing you are not part of the L&L team then. :twisted:

I don't see L&L hurrying to turn the situation around.
Again, talking as if you have some kind of insider knowledge, doesn't make your argument more valid.

How easy or complicated the implementing of such functionality is, is also beyond the point. This is a Wish List. We can add whatever we want inside. In the end, it's up to the developers to decide if they gonna implement it or not.


Regards,
M
Krastev
Scrivener for Windows Version 1.9.12.0
Windows 7 & Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Testing Scrivener Beta for Windows

User avatar
devinganger
Posts: 1445
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:55 pm
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS
Location: Monroe, WA 98272 (CN97au)
Contact:

Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:25 pm Post

Yes, I suppose you *can* keep bringing up stuff on the Wish List that L&L has already said they won't do, but that doesn't mean the rest of us can't also weigh in.

Also, "have some understanding of how the software industry works" != "insider knowledge" just to be clear. Just like "reading and remembering what L&L have previously stated on this topic" != "insider knowledge".
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Winner "Best in Class", 2018 My First Supervillain Photo Shoot

User avatar
krastev
Posts: 247
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:21 am
Platform: Windows
Contact:

Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:41 pm Post

devinganger wrote:Yes, I suppose you *can* keep bringing up stuff on the Wish List that L&L has already said they won't do, but that doesn't mean the rest of us can't also weigh in.

Also, "have some understanding of how the software industry works" != "insider knowledge" just to be clear. Just like "reading and remembering what L&L have previously stated on this topic" != "insider knowledge".

No one has said they won't or can't do it on Scrivener for Windows. But hey, I may have missed a post.
Krastev
Scrivener for Windows Version 1.9.12.0
Windows 7 & Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Testing Scrivener Beta for Windows

Bi
BigT29
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:17 am
Platform: Windows

Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:37 am Post

krastev wrote:
devinganger wrote:Yes, I suppose you *can* keep bringing up stuff on the Wish List that L&L has already said they won't do, but that doesn't mean the rest of us can't also weigh in.

Also, "have some understanding of how the software industry works" != "insider knowledge" just to be clear. Just like "reading and remembering what L&L have previously stated on this topic" != "insider knowledge".

No one has said they won't or can't do it on Scrivener for Windows. But hey, I may have missed a post.

I don't recall that either and if they did well.. it would be rather silly. I mean as pointed out, the lack of such a feature makes spellcheck pretty much useless for people who you know, actually write novels, since things like name spellings, and unique words basically have to be ignored and that's really where you want that feature.

Just because I have a character named "Harld" in one story doesn't mean I don't want it picking up when I accidentally typo "Harold" in another. It could even be saved in the application settings as opposed to user settings, granted that means you wouldn't have the luxury of the custom word list on the go or if you sync to a mac device, but at least you'd have the feature when you got back to your desktop.

As is, i have to export my projects and spell check them in another application. This is of course annoying since it involves me either leaving the spell checking for the final draft, or having to have two applications side by side so one can show me the errors I need to correct in the other.

This should not be a thing.

My suggestion of how it could work is fairly reasonable I think. As said, it supports a single custom word list already and from what I've seen this feature should also be in the IoS/Macos version. assuming they both use wordlist.ini (what the windows version uses), would it be that difficult to simply change the application to load/save the file from the project directory or a custom directory.

That's basically all that's needed. Though now that I've learned where the file is and how its formatted. I'll probably just write up an app to rename and swap multiple versions of the file.