Automatic Backup: similar to auto-save.

ps
pseingalt
Platform: Mac

Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:32 pm Post

kewms wrote:
pseingalt wrote:
And if you're up against Apple's stingy storage limits, Time Machine is useless. Maybe if you have a TB, 256 GB is useless.

Excuse me? You can buy whatever size external Time Machine drive you want, from any company you want. Mine is a 4 TB Seagate drive.

Katherine

External USB drives fail regularly. Data corruption can occur easily if the cable is pulled out or the drive improperly unmounted. Then there's all the Apple Support posts about Time Machine not working properly. The popularity of data recovery software. Clean room labs. These are not rare occurrences either.

ps: You better get another drive, If your external drive fails, you'll be out of luck.

Ru
RuffPub
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:24 pm Post

pseingalt wrote:]

External USB drives fail regularly. Data corruption can occur easily if the cable is pulled out or the drive improperly unmounted. Then there's all the Apple Support posts about Time Machine not working properly. The popularity of data recovery software. Clean room labs. These are not rare occurrences either.

ps: You better get another drive, If your external drive fails, you'll be out of luck.

There are a few support posts about Time Machine not working correctly out of the tens of millions of people using TM on a regular basis. The most common Time Machine failure is in fact user failure. I have personally assisted dozens of people to use TM to drill back to a specific moment to recover data they thought was gone for all time.

Time Machine is one of the most robust backup systems out there. Yes, like any system, you can have hard drive failures and user screw ups, but as part of a robust backup process it is about as good as tech gets.

That said, there are other options. I use a combination of TM and Carbon Copy.

kewms

Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:56 pm Post

pseingalt wrote:External USB drives fail regularly. Data corruption can occur easily if the cable is pulled out or the drive improperly unmounted. Then there's all the Apple Support posts about Time Machine not working properly. The popularity of data recovery software. Clean room labs. These are not rare occurrences either.

All of the hazards you cite are equally relevant to any backup, whether created by Scrivener or not.

In addition to Time Machine, I have a second external backup (actually a half-dozen rotating drives), use an offsite "cloud" backup service, and have copies of critical projects on multiple machines and in a second "cloud." I think I'm okay.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

er
erk
Platform: Linux

Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:36 pm Post

devinganger wrote:Having the program stay open is just asking for syncing issues.

True.

My usage scenario is that the program sits open for a long time on my desktop, but when leaving home (which might imply writing on the iPad on the train) I shut the machine down. (Or, well, now I'm auto shutting Scrivener down since doing it the old way could leave you without backups for weeks...)

However, whenever I've happened to have both desktop and iPad open (which is quite seldom) while editing the project I haven't had any sync issues,

Maybe the low frequency of that event is the key to my success...

drmajorbob

Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:00 am Post

You don't need a backup every 2 minutes. Scrivener is NOT unstable enough to worry over it, unless your operating system/hard disk is unstable ... in which case all those many, many backups are not worth the bits they're printed on. If the machine is unstable, everything on it is unstable.

All you need is a zip backup on close + a backup of that backup. Put backups in Dropbox or back them up in some other way, then close Scrivener every once in a while, and you're fine.

I use Dropbox, Time Machine, and ChronoSync, but in over 8 years using Scrivener, only ONCE have I needed to retrieve work from anywhere but a zip backup on the hard drive. Then, it was a zip backup in Dropbox. Even if you delete zip backups, Dropbox holds onto them more than long enough.
Teeth, without gums, fall loosely in the mouth.

(I'm not a Literature & Latte employee. Just another user.)

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:30 am Post

Itäs also possible to set Scrivener to backup on Manual Save, so if you know you’ve been writing a lot of new stuff and don’t want to close the project, just hit Save and you’ll get an extra backup.
Alas, make sure you adjust the number of possible backups or you’ll quickly delete older backups.
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, running different OS.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

Fr
FredBob
Platform: Windows

Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:44 pm Post

I apologize for the delay.

""I do not understand the necessity for the hostility and abusive language being used here, it is entirely unnecessary..""

It was sarcasm. It's called humor.

But my statements still stand. Most users are being restricted by the assumption that those with large projects will be hampered because they will not know how to change the auto-backup settings to their liking.

Sad so much effort in the thread was in response to other posters mis-reading what i wrote.

kewms

Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:09 am Post

FredBob wrote:I apologize for the delay.

""I do not understand the necessity for the hostility and abusive language being used here, it is entirely unnecessary..""

It was sarcasm. It's called humor.

But my statements still stand. Most users are being restricted by the assumption that those with large projects will be hampered because they will not know how to change the auto-backup settings to their liking.

Sad so much effort in the thread was in response to other posters mis-reading what i wrote.

Many users actually *don't* know that the automatic backups exist, much less how to change the relevant settings.

Still, in the very post you quoted here, Ioa explained that your requested feature is unusable for "normal" projects, not just unusually large ones. Back in 2018, in response to your original feature request, he noted that your request was actually implemented during the Scrivener 3 beta, and explained why turned out to be unusable.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team