Automatic Backup: similar to auto-save.

Fr
FredBob
Platform: Windows

Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:39 am Post

SAVE IS DESTRUCTIVE. And after you close the program ALL UNDO HISTORY IS GONE.

If you had deleted something that you should not have, without a backup, you are shit on a rope. Period!

Regular, and separate, backups are the only way to cover you ass.

I have Scrivener set to BACKUP with EVERY MANUAL SAVE. And I manually save way often. The backups are saved on a separate disk. Another safe-guard. This is how real programmers work. Why should users be treated any differently?

I would prefer to set an auto-backup every 3-4 minutes, or after a specific number of changes, ala Cakewalk DAW.

To tell us that the majority, as in prolly 99% of users, cannot have this feature because there are lunatics that have been so stoopid as to have projects way beyond any sense of human reason, is silly at best. Why should the majority have to suffer for the mental illness of the fewest?

Auto-backups do not have to be enabled by default, as too many windows, and apple, “features” are. They should be USER defined. As are the current settings for save and backup.

I want to be able to auto-backup as I desire. This makes TOTAL sense.

The code already exists. How about providing a few check boxes for users to use it?

Am
Amcmo

Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:56 am Post

To tell us that the majority, as in prolly 99% of users, cannot have this feature because there are lunatics that have been so stoopid as to have projects way beyond any sense of human reason, is silly at best. Why should the majority have to suffer for the mental illness of the fewest?

Just because a writer's project is a different size to yours doesn't make them a lunatic, stoopid (sic), or suffering from mental illness, and insulting them is unlikely to convince anyone of your argument. In fact likely the opposite. Neither is continuing to berate after a member of the L&L team has given you their response.

From the Beta download page
A Note on Suggestions
To help resolve remaining bugs, we'd appreciate keeping the beta forum posts dedicated to bug reports or questions on working with the beta. Suggestions for the interface or functionality should instead be posted in Scrivener's general wishlist forum, since most of these affect the design for both Windows and macOS. Thank you!

Your request is not a bug, so perhaps post it on the wishlist page as a request, where no doubt it will receive due consideration.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:43 pm Post

Moderator Note: I have split off this entire tangent back into your original feature request thread, in which this topic was already discussed at length. This has nothing to do with whether or not the beta is a safe platform to work from.

FredBob wrote:To tell us that the majority, as in prolly 99% of users, cannot have this feature because there are lunatics that have been so stoopid as to have projects way beyond any sense of human reason, is silly at best. Why should the majority have to suffer for the mental illness of the fewest?

I do not understand the necessity for the hostility and abusive language being used here, it is entirely unnecessary. Large projects like these are in fact well within the design parameters of this program, and a big reason for why it uses a distributed folder architecture for its storage model. A simple single-file XML model would probably have been a better choice if the idea was to not put much into a project other than your words.

That is really neither here nor there however, as projects can be excluded from the automated backup system. The problem with your request (to reiterate) does not have to do with outliers, but rather that it is annoying with “99%” scenarios.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Go
Gothelittle
Platform: Windows

Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:00 pm Post

Huh, ok, I stand (or sit) corrected. :) I assumed he was talking about saving, because it would not have occurred to me to keep making full backups every few minutes.

If I'm working on a particular section and I think I may want to preserve the way I started it, I usually copy-paste it into the Notes and then delete it when I'm happy.

I never leave my project open for more than one day. When I go to bed, I close all my programs and set my computer to either sleep (less common, for if I need quick PC access in the morning) or shut it down to restart fresh the next morning.

That said, it's not like I have any problems with someone having a feature request I don't use.

But I don't think the autosaving or auto-backup is any different between Scrivener 1.9 and Scrivener 3 Beta,

rdale
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:09 pm Post

There's another option for leveraging the vestigial File->Save shortcut, which is to make Scrivener take snapshots of all of the documents that changed since... the last snapshot of the current writing session, I think. It bloats your project if you use it too frequently*, but it makes it a LOT easier to sort through the changes you've made to a given chapter document over the course of a few hours/days.

* This feature creates a full copy of the binder item's text content every time you create a snapshot, so it's not really worth it to invoke it every few words. But a handful of times per writing session as you start editing gives you a reasonable set of snapshots that you can compare to the current text in the editor.
FKA: robertdguthrie
AKA: R Dale Guthrie, Robert, Mr. Obscure, and "Oh, it's you again".