ios Snapshots

Bl
Blylier
Platform: iOS

Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:04 pm Post

I searched as thoroughly as i could and I didn't see anyone requesting this. Please add snapshots to the ios version. I write using my ipad and I don't have snapshots! It's an amazing feature and scrivener is a great product, btw. :)

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:39 pm Post

Although we did not find an elegant way to integrate this feature, there is a setting that is disabled by default that will give you a good session based snapshot whenever you sync. In the Sharing: Sync preference tab, enable Take snapshots before updating documents. As noted in the user manual:

When this option is enabled, documents that have been modified on iOS will have a snapshot taken of them directly before before merging the iOS changes in. Given that iOS has no snapshot capability of its own, this feature can stand in for that capability.

Be aware that every single edit made to the text will cause a snapshot to be created. Over time these could build up and bloat the size of your project. It might be a good idea to prune them every once in a while with the Snapshots Manager (§15.8.5, The Snapshots Manager, pg. 428).
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Bl
Blylier

Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:26 pm Post

So does this mean there are no plans to bring snapshots to iOS? Creating a snapshot for every letter typed is not very useful and I wouldn't even be able to tell which snapshot I'm needing to go back to.

AmberV

Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:56 pm Post

The setting I'm referring to does not take a snapshot every time you type a letter. That would indeed be useless, and there is no setting in Scrivener that does that. It creates one for each document that was changed when you open a project on the Mac/PC that has been edited on iOS. You get a before and after sync view, basically.
Ioa Petra'ka

Bl
Blylier

Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:48 pm Post

Okay thank you but my real question was the first one I asked.

AmberV

Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:16 am Post

There are no plans at the moment, no.
Ioa Petra'ka

sc
scshrugged
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:08 pm Post

An alternative strategy––duplicate the document, leave the original untouched. Use the Highlight feature as a manual form of Track Changes for any revisions made in the duplicate. Change (or remove) the color of the highlighted text (or text to be) as you reach any meaningful goal/satisfaction, and/or as a means of separating characters, ideas, etc....
I'm a Scrivener user, not an L&L employee.

Bl
Blylier

Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:05 pm Post

I'd like to request to please add snapshots to iOS. As it stands, the iOS version is an incomplete product because of this and I have to switch back and forth between iOS and desktop just so I can access snapshots.

lunk

Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:07 pm Post

Blylier wrote:I'd like to request to please add snapshots to iOS.

Huh? :shock:

I do think you’ve already gotten the answer...

AmberV wrote:There are no plans at the moment, no.
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running Mojave.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

Bl
Blylier

Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:47 pm Post

lunk wrote:Huh? :shock:

What on earth? So this wishlist section is only for requesting features for which there are *already* plans to implement them?

Silverdragon

Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:40 pm Post

On the contrary, I’ve observed L&L to add features that many people have politely asked for. But it’s not a question of “user votes.” In descending order of probability:

If it’s easy to implement AND fits the designer’s (Keith’s) vision of the app, it may well arrive in the next minor update. (for example,1.0.5->1.0.6)

If it’s moderately difficult to implement, but fits the designer’s vision of the app, it might arrive in a significant minor update. (For example, 1.0.5->1.1.0)

If it’s extremely difficult to implement, but fits the designer’s vision of the app very well, it might arrive in a major paid upgrade. (For example, 1.0.5->2.0.0) Such upgrades are extremely rare; there have only been two for the Mac so far in more than ten years. The first paid upgrade for Windows is now in beta. iOS Scrivener is very young compared to the other two.

If it doesn’t fit the designer’s vision for the app, but many users present polite, cogent arguments in its favour AND it’s easy to implement, it might or might not arrive in a minor update. But if not easy to implement, Hell will freeze over. :D

“No current plans” probably means that it’s either moderately to extremely difficult to implement (I’d bet on “extremely”) and that the designer hasn’t yet ventured or formed an opinion on desirability. Please note that there’s only Keith to implement changes on both Mac and iOS, and he’s still fine-tuning Mac 3.0.x, so likely this answer means it's not even on his extensive "like to do it someday" list. :D Doesn't mean it won't get there, but I won't hold my breath.

FWIW, I'd like to see snapshots on iOS too, but it's not a big deal for me.
So you know where I'm coming from:
  • I write fiction.
  • I'm not an L&L employee.
  • Mac Scrivener 3.1.4, MacBook Air 11, MacOS 10.14.6 (Mojave)
  • IOS Scrivener 1.2; iPhone 8+, iPad 6; i(Pad)OS 13.2.3

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:23 pm Post

This is definitely the wish list, and we welcome user requests! However, not all wishes will or can be granted. :) In this case SilverDragon's reply was spot-on. It's not possible to bring all macOS features to iOS, because iOS is a very different platform and has a lot less depth (no menus, fewer ways to get to extra features). If you compare the iOS version to the macOS version, then the former will always be "incomplete". What we tried to do, however, was bring all of the core features to iOS, and build the iOS version around iOS UI standards. Snaphots is one of the features that doesn't fit very well into the iOS version. I never say never, so it might be that I one day find a way of implementing Snapshots on iOS, but it's not something that I'll be able to add any time soon.

Thanks and all the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

lunk

Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:18 pm Post

Blylier wrote:
lunk wrote:Huh? :shock:

What on earth? So this wishlist section is only for requesting features for which there are *already* plans to implement them?

"Have you ever heard of a wish sandwich? A wish sandwich is the kind of a
sandwich where you have two slices of bread and you, hee hee hee, wish you
had some meat..." :lol:
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running Mojave.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

Bl
Blylier

Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:55 pm Post

KB wrote: I never say never, so it might be that I one day find a way of implementing Snapshots on iOS, but it's not something that I'll be able to add any time soon.

Thank you for the reply, Keith. I love your product and it's great when developers listen to their customers. :) Hopefully this can make it to iOS one day. Do you ever allow outsiders to add code? I'd be willing to offer some help. I'm an app developer btw.

Te
Teddyt

Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:46 pm Post

Amber, is there a good tutorial or blog somewhere on the site that gives recommendations about handling multiple drafts and edits in the iOS version of Scrivener?

Thanks!
TeddyT