Web Based Version

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:41 pm Post

Marcelk wrote:Given all the threads and posts on this topic, there is clearly a market for this feature. Passing off the difficulties in the endeavour (of which there are surely plenty) by telling your users that they themselves should make a technical design for you is nonsense and in poor taste. They are aspiring writers, not IT engineers.
If you can't give your customers what they want, then try to present them with an interesting alternative. Don't try to make it their fault. That's not how you run a business.

There is no universal law saying that every business has to meet all customers demands.

If there is a market, there is also an opportunity for someone to rise to the challenge. Why don’t you yourself do it?

There is an old saying I really like:
"Don’t demand of others what you are not willing to do yourself"

L&L has given an explanation for why there won’t be a web based version of Scrivener. The "interesting alternative" is Scrivener for Mac, Windows and iOS. Repeating that message isn’t a way of trying "to make it their [the customers] fault"
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

kewms
Platform: Mac

Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:40 pm Post

Marcelk wrote:That being said: what you're doing is questionable entrepeneurship. Given all the threads and posts on this topic, there is clearly a market for this feature. Passing off the difficulties in the endeavour (of which there are surely plenty) by telling your users that they themselves should make a technical design for you is nonsense and in poor taste. They are aspiring writers, not IT engineers.

Speaking of nonsense, it is quite common for people seeking a web version to imply that such an endeavor would be trivially easy, and that L&L's failure to create one is therefore a sign of both technical incompetence and blatant disregard for users. Those people are the ones being addressed by my comment.

As you would know if you had actually read the previous threads on this topic, it is not at all clear that the market for an online version of Scrivener is large enough to support the not-insignificant costs of such a project, particularly since its main potential competitor, Google Docs, is both free and supported by a company with effectively unlimited resources.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

Ji
JimRac
Platform: Win + iOS

Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:54 pm Post

Marcelk wrote:I find my writing motivation popping up at the most erratic of times and I would like to make use of it when it arises.
Me too. That's why, in addition to the desktop version, I use iOS Scrivener.
I’m just a customer.

RJ
RJO
Platform: Windows

Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:24 pm Post

Marcelk wrote:Regarding the idea of a web version: it would add the last bit of flexibility to make your product truly universal.

How do you conclude it would be universal? People have also asked for: 1) an Android version, 2) a revived Linux version, and 3) a Portable Apps version (at least).

As
Astaff
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:36 pm Post

On this and the other threads pointed to by L&L staff this subject had been covered so many times. The L&L response, they don’t see the demand, they don’t have the resources staff and financial, they don’t intend to do it.

Endlessly arguing the toss is not going to change all that.

As for the comment ‘given all the threads there is clearly a market’ ... what ....8 or 10 people demanded it in multiple posts doesn’t establish a viable demand.

No-one asked anyone to do it for L&L, just said if you are so convinced of the demand and want it feel free to invest your own time and $$ and do it. Hey you might be the one to put L&L out of business as one or two posters in the threads seem convinced is the outcome if they don’t give in to the demand.

One final point, suggesting ‘questionable entrepreneurship’ is more likely to get a ‘Sod off’ response than a ‘you are so right’.