Scrivener + Scapple ... writing and mapping on the same application

Ke
KenRandall
Platform: Mac

Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:36 am Post

AmberV wrote:
I think the best answer is still to use Bookmarks—which does just about everything you could want from this kind of integration, that is feasible. You get a preview in the sidebar if that is what you really want, but if you want to modify or edit this thing (which evidently has no connection to any data in Scrivener and is a complete disconnected data model that has no inherent benefit in being in Scrivener) then you double-click the bookmark instead of single clicking it. :) Easy---and it works just as well for Excel spreadsheets too, or whatever else you need.

This is brilliant! I did not know really what Bookmarks were for until you mentioned them - Just tried it with a Scapple file and presto - what a great way to access mind maps! Thanks. :D

bm
bmscmoreira

Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:59 pm Post

AmberV wrote:You get a preview in the sidebar if that is what you really want, but if you want to modify or edit this thing (which evidently has no connection to any data in Scrivener and is a complete disconnected data model that has no inherent benefit in being in Scrivener) then you double-click the bookmark instead of single clicking it. :) Easy---and it works just as well for Excel spreadsheets too, or whatever else you need.

Thanks. I didn't realized it was possible to preview the file as is. Was I distracted or Scrivener 2 didn't have this? Anyway, thanks, I don't mind double clicking to edit the map – I was more worried by having to open it in an external program just to see its contents.

Thanks everyone!

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:27 pm Post

It’s a new feature in Scrivener 3. In the previous version there was something functionally similar to the top half of this pane, called “References”, but it was just a simple list at the bottom of the inspector. In this version there is now a whole pane for them, which provides enough space to show a preview of files—or if the Bookmark points to another text item inside the project, a fully-featured editor.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

bm
bmscmoreira

Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:30 pm Post

Still haven’t got the time to check Scrivener 3 as it deserves :)

Ke
KenRandall

Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:49 am Post

AmberV wrote:I think the best answer is still to use Bookmarks—which does just about everything you could want from this kind of integration, that is feasible ... then you double-click the bookmark instead of single clicking it. :) Easy---and it works just as well for Excel spreadsheets too, or whatever else you need.

This work fantastic! Combining Bookmarked Scapple maps with the Drag-n-Drop from Scapple-to-Scrivener Binder is all I needed. Thanks ! :D