Word repetition detector

Platform: Mac

Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:48 pm Post

Hello! I browsed and searched here and there on these forums, but I cannot find any way to detect repeated words in a text - I am not talking about statistics, but a tool able to enlighten close repetitions of words, in order for the writer to spot and eliminate them.

Is there already something similar in Scrivener? If not, I think it should be implemented in some update, it doesn't seem such a difficult feature to add!

Thank you

Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:38 pm Post

The grammar checker will detect repeated words. Under Edit- Spelling and Grammar.

Platform: Mac

Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:47 pm Post

Sorry, I was not very clear. For 'repeated words' I did not mean the same instance of a word put/left by mistake as in 'I am am Italian'.

I meant rather the recurrence of the same word like twice in a sentence, or three times in a couple of lines. As in: 'His eyes were blue, while his wife's eyes were deep green, a very nice eye colour'. These are stylistic blunders that sort of tool (recurrent word detector) could help to correct :)

Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:35 am Post

Even I am looking for a tool within Scrivener that will highlight word density and proximity/ spread -- how often I have repeated a word and how close the repeats are to each other.
For example, in my case, I tend to use the word "also" a bit too often! So it would be most useful if Scrivener can highlight every occurrence of "also" in the text, giving me a visual overview of how close together these alsos are.
Similarly for other words, Perhaps this feature can be added to the Statistics box where clicking on an individual word shows you where all you have used it in the document.

Incidentally, to the previous poster, I don't see any option under Edit to run a Spelling and Grammer check. The only option is Spelling. I am on the latest Windows beta -- has the Grammer check been removed?