Scrivener for researchers

Ch
Chris_M2018
Platform: Mac + Windows

Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:51 pm Post

Hello again!!
After some time searching several resources, both in forum and elsewhere, I conclude that the simplest workflow for a novice user of both Scrivener and Latex is:
  • write in Scrivener
  • compile for Latex (MultiMarkdawon -> Latex (.tex))
  • final format and compile in a Tex Editor (mine favourite TexShop)
So, I created a new Project Format (from File->Compile-> gear button->..) and now I am in the process of editing all regular preferences (i.e. Latex packages etc.) that I usually need for a research paper in the "Latex Options" tab.
Since, I am more familiar with Latex commands for sectioning, equations, tables I thought that writing Latex commands such as

Code: Select all

\section{Introduction}
inside my Scrivener project would be easier to compile the document in TexShop, but it seems that I am missing some parts of the equations.
When I do follow this workflow I get back 4 .tex files:
  • Name_of_project.tex: is the main body of my document
  • mmd-scrivcustom-header.tex: including all the information that I have typed in the "Header" from "Latex Options" tab such as Latex packages, \title{..}, \author{...} etc.
  • mmd-scrivcustom-begin-doc.tex: including Latex commands that I have inserted in the "Begin Document" such as \begin{document}, \maketitle
  • mmd-scrivcustom-footer.tex: including Latex commands that I have inserted in the "Footer" to load my bibliography that is stored as a .bib file \bibliography{my_biblio} and the \end{document} command.

However when compiling the project and open the main .tex file I get the following issues:
  1. Sectioning: using raw Latex commands (i.e. \section{Introduction}) for sectioning I get back \textbackslash{}section\{Introduction\} in the .tex file, which is something that does not be recognised by the TexShop as a proper way of sectioning.
  2. Quotation marks: wherever I have inserted either single or double quotation marks in Scrivener, they are not recognised in the .tex file.
  3. Labels for figures and tables: is there a Latex-friendly way of labelling figures and tables in Scrivener and exported in the .tex file?
  4. Equations: how should I write my in-line or numbered equations in Scrivener, so as to be recognised by the TexShop?
  5. Automatically numbered figures and tables: is there an easy way of annotating numbered figures and tables?
  6. Citation keys: I have not tried to rename all references in the document using the \cite{citation_key} command, but I suppose I would get the \textbackslash issue.
  7. Footnotes: I have not tried them yet, but I will definitely need them!
I suppose that most of those issues may be resolved if I make some adjustments in the "Replacement" tab, but I am not quite sure what kind of replacements should I make. As you may get, I am trying to make Scrivener more Latex-friendly so as to make the final adjustments in my Tex editor.
I have read that many users prefer Pandoc for exporting and formatting but this route is rather sophisticated for my level of understanding, So any advice (or even better a suggestion for a step-wise user manual, videos, photos etc) that is more close to the Latex philosophy is highly appreciated!!
Thanks again!

mn
mnott
Platform: Mac + Linux

Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:27 pm Post

Hi,

I've taken another approach; rather than struggling with the export features of Scrivener, I evaluate the .scriv directory directly, and compile my LaTeX content from there.

You may want to look at TeXDown:

http://github.com/mnott/texdown

Here I've done a video about my larger workflow:

https://youtu.be/86rnBMz6XnU

ar
arehrlich
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:59 pm Post

One workaround that I've been using is to use Zotero as my citation manager. I keep a 'citations' folder in my Scrivener file and when I cite a paper, I simply go into Zotero, right click on the paper and copy the citation to the clipboard and insert it in my 'citation' folder in Scrivener. A manual system at best, but it seems to work - at least for me at this time.

I do wish that Scrivener would be integrated with Zotero. I'm not overly enthusiastic about Bookends.

Alan