Scriv 3 for Mac: toggle visibility of audio and video controls

Jo
Jolanth Szatmary
Platform: Mac

Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:26 am Post

In Scrivener 3 for Mac, the Quicktime control elements for audio and video playback are only visible when the mouse pointer hovers over them. For lengthy interview transcriptions it would be very helpful to be able to toggle the controls to »always on«. That way, you can always know where you are in your, say, 30 mins audio or video file, Thanks!

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:31 am Post

Unfortunately that is how Apple’s media player works. Please do send your complaint to them as well! They need to hear that not everyone just wants to use their programming environments for providing entertainment software, which is clearly what this thing is geared toward.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Jo
Jolanth Szatmary

Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:38 pm Post

Thanks AmberV! I'll write a note to Apple, but not hoping for much in that respect. Apart from that, for me personally Scrivener ist the best piece of entertainment software ever developped ;-)

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:02 pm Post

Oh yeah, there is little hope to be sure, but never go without a fight, I say. :twisted:
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

KB
Site Admin

Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:27 pm Post

In actual fact, the player used in Scrivener is not the standard Apple player but one built from the ground up by me to look like and behave the same as the Apple player. It uses Apple's AVPlayer technology to create a custom player view rather than using the standard Apple AVPlayerView, simply because when I first started replacing the deprecated QuickTime views, Apple's own AVPlayerView was buggy and would not work in two panes at the same time. I don't know if they have improved their standard player since, given that I rolled my own solution.

Rather than adding an option to toggle the visibility of audio and video controls, for 3.0.2 I have just made it so that the controls are always visible for audio files.

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Jo
Jolanth Szatmary

Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:34 pm Post

KB wrote:
Rather than adding an option to toggle the visibility of audio and video controls, for 3.0.2 I have just made it so that the controls are always visible for audio files.

All the best,
Keith

That's fantastic! Thanks very much, now I'm actually looking forward to the next interview transcription session. By the way: Scrivener 3 is one of the best pieces of Software I've ever seen.

SarsenLintel
Platform: Mac + iOS

Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:49 am Post

Awesome.

Keith, while you're at it - any chance of adding an option for copying the current playback position for timestamps and such? It'd probably also mean adding a preference sheet somewhere to select the desired time format. That's the only reason I still use a different playback program, but it'd be nice to have that all in-house as it were, especially now that I'm starting to switch between the Mac and the iPad more often.