Worktime tracking

thomas.rabenstein
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:43 am Post

Hi Scrivener Team,

Since Scrivener is my central planning, writing and production App/Tool, I wish it would have an integrated time tracking system that shows me not only charactes and word count, but also working hours on project or document. This would give me a better idea over time, on projecting a novel.

I sah a falling star last nicht, so you need to take this wish seriously. ;-)

Greetings,
Thomas
Friendly greetings,
Thomas
Selfpublisher

kewms
Platform: Mac

Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:12 pm Post

I've found that Timing is very good for this, as it tracks both per application and per document. So it can capture related activities across Scrivener, DevonThink, and Chrome and summarize them by project or client.
https://timingapp.com/?lang=en

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

thomas.rabenstein

Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:34 pm Post

kewms wrote:I've found that Timing is very good for this ... [...]
Katherine

Hi Katherine,

This was a very good hint and it looks the App is really perfect for what I need.
I just pulled it from the App Store and it is already running on my Mac.
Thank you!

Greetings,
Thomas
Friendly greetings,
Thomas
Selfpublisher

Hu
Hugh
Platform: Mac

Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:18 am Post

thomas.rabenstein wrote:
kewms wrote:I've found that Timing is very good for this ... [...]
Katherine

Hi Katherine,

This was a very good hint and it looks the App is really perfect for what I need.
I just pulled it from the App Store and it is already running on my Mac.
Thank you!

Greetings,
Thomas

You may be pleased to hear that a new version, Timing 2 - more flexible, less "mechanistic" in its tracking if you wish it to be, and less in-your-face in its UI - is currently in beta.
'Listen, some quiet night, when you've shirked your work that day. Do you hear
that distant, almost inaudible clicking sound? That's one of your
competitors, working away in the night in
Paris or London or Erie, PA.'

thomas.rabenstein

Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:31 pm Post

Hugh wrote:You may be pleased to hear that a new version, Timing 2 - more flexible, less "mechanistic" in its tracking if you wish it to be, and less in-your-face in its UI - is currently in beta.

Hi Hugh,

Sounds great to me. :)
So there will be two Apps I am waiting for now ... Scrivener 3 - and Timing 2. :)

Greetings,
Thomas
Friendly greetings,
Thomas
Selfpublisher

lunk

Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:07 pm Post

thomas.rabenstein wrote:So there will be two Apps I am waiting for now ... Scrivener 3 - and Timing 2. :)

You don't have to wait. You can get the new beta version of Timing 2 right now. Just contact the developers.
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, running different OS.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

pe
pepperjam
Platform: Windows

Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:34 am Post

I came to request this feature.

I'm on PC, so I can't use Timing.

I'd like to have a "work log" toolbar with a dropdown box for "writing", "revising", "editing", and "custom labels". You could click a button to manually start/stop logging. It would be ideal if it logged time for each individual section as well as overall totals for the project.

It would also be nice if logging could be set to start automatically when a dropbox option is selected; the program could start logging and only stop after five minutes of inactivity (no keypresses or mouse movement), and then start again when activity is detected. This way the user wouldn't have to worry about leaving Scrivener open while away from the PC and messing up their log times.