Prose Editing

subgeniuszero
Platform: Mac

Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:54 pm Post

My largest issue with this idea... Since when have the "rules" actually mattered when it comes to writing? I enjoy playing with words and do not want a pile of squiggles telling me I have to comply with a rule that destroys the rhythm of what I'm working on. "My voice", as others have often called the way an individual writer ... writes, should be unique to me and not some automate clone of grammar rules.

And you're free to ignore any suggestions such a system would make. You'd even be free to — gasp! — turn such a system "off" if you wished, I'd imagine. Free to not use it at all. (I know, it's a radical concept, the idea of not using a provided feature because you don't need it, rather than having it not available at all to anyone else who might actually need it or want it.) Those of us who do want to follow basic grammar rules, however, and who do delight in working within the established parameters of the English language, would like to have Scrivener support some measure of telling us when we get things wrong or right, however. I don't think this is too far of a bridge to cross for a piece of software that bills itself as being "y'know, for writers."
"We are star-stuff. We are the universe, made manifest, trying to figure itself out." — Delenn

KB
Site Admin

Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:12 am Post

subgeniuszero wrote:
My largest issue with this idea... Since when have the "rules" actually mattered when it comes to writing? I enjoy playing with words and do not want a pile of squiggles telling me I have to comply with a rule that destroys the rhythm of what I'm working on. "My voice", as others have often called the way an individual writer ... writes, should be unique to me and not some automate clone of grammar rules.

And you're free to ignore any suggestions such a system would make. You'd even be free to — gasp! — turn such a system "off" if you wished, I'd imagine. Free to not use it at all. (I know, it's a radical concept, the idea of not using a provided feature because you don't need it, rather than having it not available at all to anyone else who might actually need it or want it.) Those of us who do want to follow basic grammar rules, however, and who do delight in working within the established parameters of the English language, would like to have Scrivener support some measure of telling us when we get things wrong or right, however. I don't think this is too far of a bridge to cross for a piece of software that bills itself as being "y'know, for writers."

Maybe read my reply up-thread for why it is a bridge too far?
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

xiamenese

Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:00 pm Post

subgeniuszero wrote:Those of us who do want to follow basic grammar rules, however, and who do delight in working within the established parameters of the English language, would like to have Scrivener support some measure of telling us when we get things wrong or right, however. I don't think this is too far of a bridge to cross for a piece of software that bills itself as being "y'know, for writers."

The trouble with that statement is that structures like the passive, that software grammar checkers mark as "incorrect", are part of the "established parameters of the English language", and in fact are so basic that we all of us use them every day in our speech without noticing. So the 'rules' that you are wishing to follow are not those of the English language, but those of some self-appointed pundits who have decided what is to be considered too difficult to understand.

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.6, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 14, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:09 pm Post

KB wrote:Maybe read my reply up-thread for why it is a bridge too far?

Considering the outcome of a previous expedition who really went a bridge too far, I hope KB is wise enough to stand by his statement in teh reply up-thread. Going a bridge too far may end up in disaster, for some involved.
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, running different OS.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:43 am Post

lunk wrote:
KB wrote:Maybe read my reply up-thread for why it is a bridge too far?

Considering the outcome of a previous expedition who really went a bridge too far, I hope KB is wise enough to stand by his statement in teh reply up-thread. Going a bridge too far may end up in disaster, for some involved.

No fear. KB is very good at sticking to his guns.
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Life has a way of moving you past wants and hopes

Fr
FredBob
Platform: Windows

Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:07 pm Post

Very fun to listen to Stephen Pinker talk about all the No-Nos that are not.

non-rules: dangling bits, preposition placement, splitting phrases,...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV5J6BfToSw

Lots of links to his other vids on this page.

Maybe a modifiable plug-in for Scrivener that could provide some grammatical suggestions?

shrumpkin

Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:28 pm Post

Keith—

Please, no prose-editing software. We are wordsmiths here. Experimenting with language is what writing’s about.

Best,
Michael

li
lit_addict
Platform: Mac + Windows

Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:09 am Post

shrumpkin wrote:Keith—

Please, no prose-editing software. We are wordsmiths here. Experimenting with language is what writing’s about.
l

You're right. 8) However, when I think about prose editing, I recall one not so good story that once happened with my friend. He composed a few funny short stories and read them on one of the literature evenings we had in our town.

Imagine what was his rage, when he discovered that one of people who was there on that night, published a storybook with some of my friend's stories! Yes, this person has presented them as they were his own. My friend used online plagiarism checker and showed our lit community the report with direct percentage of similarity. Besides, he made a lot of posts in social media about this case. After all, this storybook was withdrawn from our local bookstores.

So, even if you are inspired by some well-known story (I believe everyone was once inspired by the story of Romeo & Juliet or by detective stories of Agatha Christie, etc.), it's editing and wit that will let you compose your own story without violating any laws. Make the most of Scrivener and don't afraid to try some extra tools e.g. Power Thesaurus to make your writing rich and memorable.
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery - Charles Caleb Colton