Scrivener for Android + ipad questions

Xa
Xade
Platform: Windows

Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:28 pm Post

i tried an iPad once but really didn't like it, but im willing to try it for an iPad mini, I decided on a mini, due to the smaller size, it's closer to my Samsung tab s 8 inch, which is the perfect size for me so it won't be too hard to thumb the keyboard. I tried a full sized in BestBuy and I had to stretch for the middle keys, so I chose the mini. Since everyone says windows and IOS version can work so well (once dropbox syncs) I'll be sure to get a nice 4g mini. Next question, Can I save some money by buying the slightly older iPad 3? or should I stick to the 4 so I can stay up to date. What is the difference between them? I know I can check out reviews but I'd rather ask my peers here, who has used scrivener as much as I have.

Am
Amcmo

Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:54 pm Post

Mini 3 is good and would certainly do the job, if a little slower. If you can, find a 4 at a price that suits you as it will be upgradeable for 1-2 yrs longer than the 3.

The synch with Win Scrivener works great. Though I freely confess to being an Apple person, I do keep Win 7 and 10 systems running just to keep my hand in and to be able to support issues with iOS/Win syncing.

Regardless of preference for iOS or Android, you'll find iOS Scrivener great to use. Keith did an outstanding job.

If Johnny can get a knighthood for sexy round corners and 'thin', Keith deserves one for sexy code.

Xa
Xade

Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:17 pm Post

I took the plunge and rented an iPad mini from my favorite rental store. I know I'll pay three times as much but they have a 120 day same as cash so I'll only pay an extra hundred for it if I can pay 100 a month. Anyhow. I bought Scrivener and been about 90% happy with it. There's been some learning pains but so far I'm happy enough with it. 16 gigs is a tight fit, I can't do much more than use my writing tools, Evernote, dropbox, kindle, scrivener and shopping list app but it will do until they get their next shipment in.

TA
TAFenmore

Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:49 am Post

Xade wrote: Next question, Can I save some money by buying the slightly older iPad 3? or should I stick to the 4 so I can stay up to date. What is the difference between them? I know I can check out reviews but I'd rather ask my peers here, who has used scrivener as much as I have.

I use an old iPad 2 with no problems whatsoever.:mrgreen:

Xa
Xade

Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:03 pm Post

well, yeah, this one I am renting to own an ipad mini 1 16gb and am really enjoying scrivener on it. I cant play any good games or anything on it but I plan on eventually upgrading it. Perhaps after Christmas, the prices will drop within my price range and I can return the rented one for one much better. I almost had a 2 but it was a pawned school ipad, and the school locked it. They got some money for it and the shop got ripped off. Really annoyed me but what can I say? I'll just keep an eye on the shops and ebay until I find one that suits me

La
Latone

Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:27 am Post

Xade wrote:I think it would be awesome if we had scrivener for android. I for one would buy it in a heartbeat but such a feature rich software might be impossible for android, especially the touch screen interface.

I would like to add my vote - I am 100% android (or rather, 0% iOS use). However, I DO like to use my android tablet for writing. It has always prevented me from buying scrivener that it wasn't available. when I got scrivener for christmas I hoped maybe it WOULD be available (the gift-giver said it was - but they didn't understand "iOS only" mean not MY tablet).

PLEASE add scrivener for android! Make it tablet only to begin with if necessary!

Sh
Shieldslinger

Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:06 pm Post

I would also love Scrivener for Android.
I don't use ios AT ALL.
THANKS.

Vicky002
Platform: Win + iOS

Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:57 am Post

Add me to this list as well.

I’m a long time android and ipad user. I’ve never been able to choose one over the other, though I do use my android phone and tablet the most. The only thing I use ipad for is for scrivener, which is an absolute phenomenal app. I'm betting scrivener would be just as awesome on android as well. Can’t wait! :D

pi
pileobunnies

Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:15 am Post

Another vote for Android. I just had to resurrect an old Windows XP netbook to be able to use this on the go. I'd much rather use my beloved Android tablet.

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:10 am Post

Did I miss a poll or quiz somewhere?
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Winner "Best in Class", 2018 My First Supervillain Photo Shoot

nl
nluoma
Platform: Mac + Windows

Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:11 pm Post

I, too, would love to see Scrivener for Android. It's not that I don't like Apple products, as I've been an Apple user since the Mac Plus. And I do have an iPad 2, and bought scrivener for it. However, the iOS systems seem to be challenged with a lot of wifi networks. I spend have of my writing time turning off wifi, forgetting networks, and generally trying to force a connection. Then, once I start writing, if I take too long thinking over a plot point, it drops the network and I'm back to trying to get that network connection again. With my android tablet, it just seems to connect more reliably. It's gotten so frustrating I'm looking for alternatives to sync with Scrivener on an Android.

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:43 pm Post

nluoma wrote:I spend have of my writing time turning off wifi, forgetting networks, and generally trying to force a connection. Then, once I start writing, if I take too long thinking over a plot point, it drops the network and I'm back to trying to get that network connection again

:shock:
You don't need a WiFi connection to write on the iPad. You only need it when you are done writing and want to sync your project to the Dropbox server.
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

bs
bsolomon3000

Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:51 am Post

There are over 800 posts here relating to "Android". So, will there be an Android version or not?

Thanks

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:59 am Post

Short version: they probably won't say definitely whether there will be an Android version until they're well into making it happen.

So not today, not near future, but they haven't said "no way" yet either.
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Winner "Best in Class", 2018 My First Supervillain Photo Shoot

Ki
Kinsey
Platform: Mac

Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:13 am Post

A lot of those posts relate to the automated novel-writing android that Keith was working on. Called K-droid, Keith abandoned development because it was delaying iOScriv.