Accommodating the new touch bar

Br
Briar Kit
Platform: Mac

Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:17 pm Post

kewms wrote:Haven't seen the touch bar, but you can already auto-hide the Dock when not in use.

Katherine

Aye, and you can even hide the Menu bar as well these days.
Account closed January 2017

Am
Amcmo

Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:24 pm Post

Hi Briar,

I use my 13" work unit with an iMac 27" and a Dell 27" 4K monitor as external monitors when I'm in my office. The monitor is my own while the iMac is work provided, so I'm spoiled. (I work from home)

Word of warning, the 5k 27" iMac can't be used as an external monitor. I have one of those also work provided that I use as a research machine as the 13" is my primary machine with all the data in and out if office.

Br
Briar Kit

Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:31 pm Post

Amcmo wrote:Hi Briar,

I use my 13" work unit with an iMac 27" and a Dell 27" 4K monitor as external monitors when I'm in my office. The monitor is my own while the iMac is work provided, so I'm spoiled. (I work from home)

Word of warning, the 5k 27" iMac can't be used as an external monitor. I have one of those also work provided that I use as a research machine as the 13" is my primary machine with all the data in and out if office.

Safe to assume you do more than writing with such a lot of screen estate? You're clearly loved by your work—very nice kit.

Am
Amcmo

Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:45 am Post

Safe to assume,

however my 15" MBP also connects to the 4K monitor so at the push of a button I can go writing. I love screen real estate. In my last book I had google earth and local pictures and even a video up on the screen as I wrote low flying scenes to make action as real as possible.

You can never have to much screen. :)

I also have a Full size Bluetooth keyboard that also jumps between the computers at a push of the button, saves having multiple keyboards and cable cluttering the desk.

Back to the topic, I do lust after the new 15", but struggle to justify while my old one works perfectly.

Br
Briar Kit

Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:57 am Post

Amcmo wrote:Safe to assume,

however my 15" MBP also connects to the 4K monitor so at the push of a button I can go writing. I love screen real estate. In my last book I had google earth and local pictures and even a video up on the screen as I wrote low flying scenes to make action as real as possible.

You can never have to much screen. :)

I also have a Full size Bluetooth keyboard that also jumps between the computers at a push of the button, saves having multiple keyboards and cable cluttering the desk.

Back to the topic, I do lust after the new 15", but struggle to justify while my old one works perfectly.

There's something about having a lot of screen acreage and assuaging one's inner megalomaniac. :lol: Used to have the 30" ACD. It was epic, and tremendously useful in the ways you highlighted.

As to your last sentence, it is such a pain when old kit keeps working so well. :shock: In such cases, you need to remember just one central justification above all others: you're deserve it.

br
brookter

Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:11 am Post

That's the trouble with Macs: they just keep working (or I've just been lucky with the ones I've had).

My iMac 27" is 5 years old and it's stubbornly refusing to be anything other than a) completely reliable and b) more than powerful enough for what I do. How fair is that, I ask you?

de
derick

Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:28 pm Post

Yep. I upgraded my 2011 iMac with an SSD and second internal HD in place of the DVD drive, and it runs beautifully. If only I could magically add a retina screen....

Am
Amcmo

Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:00 pm Post

Yes, on the subject of Macs keeping on working, I saw a recent quote from IBM. Their Macs cost more to purchase yet from memory work out around $500 cheaper over a lifetime with support and maintenance costs.

I'm leaning towards Briar's suggestion - I deserve one, so why not upgrade to the latest? I can get good $$ for my old one on eBay, or pass it on down to one of the kids.

Br
Briar Kit

Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:38 am Post

brookter wrote:That's the trouble with Macs: they just keep working (or I've just been lucky with the ones I've had).

My iMac 27" is 5 years old and it's stubbornly refusing to be anything other than a) completely reliable and b) more than powerful enough for what I do. How fair is that, I ask you?

I've got a MBP and an iMac, both from 2008. Will they stop working or slow down so I have an excuse to replace them? Appreciate they are not as fast as modern Macs, but they are both trooping on with aplomb.

Spent some time with a Touch Bar MBP in the Apple Store in Covent Garden yesterday. Didn't find the changes—between apps—in the Touch Bar to be a distraction at all, so my initial thoughts were entirely unfounded.

Wasn't convinced I would use the Touch Bar very much—for example, easier to use the trackpad to reply to an email than use the Touch Bar reply button—and didn't like having to lift my hands from their resting position to have to reach the Touch Bar. Imagine it would take a little while to adjust. Assume that more inventive implementation would help to drive habitual changes. It can be used to depress or slide: the same as the trackpad. Good at scanning through photos, but no better than using the trackpad to do the same thing. The most significant difference, for me, was that the Touch Bar MBP is faster than its function-key sibling.

Br
Briar Kit

Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:54 am Post

Amcmo wrote:Yes, on the subject of Macs keeping on working, I saw a recent quote from IBM. Their Macs cost more to purchase yet from memory work out around $500 cheaper over a lifetime with support and maintenance costs.

I'm leaning towards Briar's suggestion - I deserve one, so why not upgrade to the latest? I can get good $$ for my old one on eBay, or pass it on down to one of the kids.

If I had only known that I had such superhuman powers of suggestion, I would have used them to suggest reading one of my books rather than buying an Apple product. :lol: And a perfect time to read HANSON DRAKE, given that the eponymous Hanson's non-religious Advent story can be read in real time from 30 November onwards. Hanson is a meliorist, and so am I. (If you should pick it up, only read to the end of the main part of the book on 25 December. Don't read the three epilogue parts. And if you leave it lolling on the sofa and have youngish or sensitive kids, don't leave it open on the chapter about the fawn...I get far too many admonitions about that particular tale. And if you know or like any of Bowie's music, pick up on any references to his songs and films, and want to know if the book is in part about his passing [even though it was published three years before he died], I'm not going to tell you the answer to that question, other than to say that my general answer is given in the postscript...which I have just urged you to not read. Conundrum.)

Seriously, having had a rather wretched time with health issues over the last few years, I am very aware of the fundamental truth that our time here is short. If you want or need something now—and can afford it—then get it now, as you probably can't buy and use the things you want in whatever comes or doesn't come next.

If you want the pleasure of a new Mac or a walk on the beach or to hold your kids in your arms or to stand on a mountain and smell cold crisp air, now is the only time that you have.

br
brookter

Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:45 am Post

Oh, I'll get one (in my case a new iMac -- I'm very happy with last years MacBook 12").

I'd decided I'd wait till October to get an updated version, which never came of course. I nearly bought the older version then, but the price increased Brexponentionally, so I'm waiting till next year and a new model now.

The reality it is, the current model really does everything I want, so if I'm going to be self-indulgent, I'm going to be so with a new model.

de
derick

Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:01 am Post

So after eight days with the MPB with Touch Bar in which I've made the switch from busily installing software to getting real work done, I'd say don't bother with the Touch Bar (especially if you will need to pay current UK prices!) unless you want the machine for other aspects of the specs . I rarely use it, and don't see a lot of scenarios where it is going to be super useful for writing. It's nice for editing in Photos but certainly isn't proving essential or groundbreaking for anything.

Siren
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:56 pm Post

brookter wrote:Brexponentionally

Brilliant word. I shall plagiarise shamelessly.
Literature & Latte support team

Bi
Bivalve

Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:20 pm Post

At least you don't have to say 'Trumpian.' (sigh)

David Munch

Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:50 am Post

Ulysses 2.7 was just released with TouchBar support. Maybe there's some inspiration to get there.