iOS trial for NaNoWriMo!

dw
dwoell
Platform: Win + iOS

Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:43 pm Post

Hi,

I was first introduced to Scrivener by using it for NaNoWriMo several years ago, and I have been hooked since. That being said, I've been contemplating getting the iOS version for on the go writing, but am not sure how much I would really use it. I love that Scrivener extends its trial version for use during the entire month of November, and I think it would be a great idea to extend this trial (if possible) to the iOS version. Another thought would be offering a discount code for winners to the iOS version as well. It would be a great way to get laptop scrivener users interested in the iOS version (not to mention more motivation to win)!

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:21 pm Post

Hi,

Unfortunately, as mentioned in our Special Offers thread on the NaNo forums, neither of these options is possible, otherwise we would have offered them. The only way to distribute iOS apps is via Apple's App Store, and Apple provides no way of offering trial versions or discounts via their App Store. This is why we can only offer trial versions and discounts on the desktop versions. (We can't offer a discount on the Mac App Store version of Scrivener, either, for the same reason - we can only offer a discount for the version on our site.)

Thanks for your interest in the iOS version, though!

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Ka
Kalus
Platform: Mac

Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:10 pm Post

If this helps you decide... Do it!

This my sixth year doing NaNoWriMo, and I've been using Scrivener for iOS since launch to great success. I know how hard it can be to find the time to make word count, and having the ability to jump right in whenever you have a moment of inspiration or a few minutes on the subway is worth every penny. Even if it's just to take a note or two.

Also, Scrivener for iOS can track writing sessions, so you can set the target word count to 1667 just like the desktop version. It might even be a little easier on iOS, since it puts that button right at the top of the page.