Citing and Referencing Resources

ja
jamesroughton
Platform: Windows

Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:47 am Post

I like using Scrivener and have found it very useful for other avenues outside of just writing documents. I use it mostly to teach an online course wack and organize my material logically.

However, I would like to use Scrivener for more technical writing which requires citing and referencing resources appropriately.

I currently use MS Word to accomplish this and would like to place my suggestion on the wish list for a method that I use, with hopes that someday it could be incorporated into Scrivener as a plug-in.

The software that I am referring is Docear - http://www.docear.org, Academic Literature Suites which uses Free and Open Source architecture based on an open source mindmapping program Freeplane http://www.freeplane.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page and JabRef - a graphical application for managing bibliographical data - https://www.jabref.org/

Part of the process that ties together is a plugin called Docear4Word is an add-on for Microsoft Word that allows you to insert references and bibliographies from BibTeX files to MS-Word documents.

This type of technique would be a great help to technical writers who need to cite and reference resources on the fly.

Docear is no longer being supported but still works well.

This is my 2 cents worth.

Refer to the attached dcoument for Docear4Word
Attachments
Overview & Details « Docear.pdf
(466.51 KiB) Downloaded 105 times

gr
Platform: Mac + iOS

Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:29 pm Post

The first thing to realize is that it would generally be the developer of the citation manager software that makes such plug-ins. Who wrote the plug-in that makes Endnote work with Word (and updatesit every time Word changes)? Endnote did. I am sure the story for Docear is the same.

Second, (though I do not speak for Lit&Lat) it seems entirely unlikely that any developer is going to be developing for Docear anymore. As you say, it is no longer being actively supported by its maker/community.

So, it is really too much to ask.

Best,
gr

P.S. Didn't previously know about this software. It is an interesting concept (since I am in love with mindmapping).
gr : Scrivener user : not affiliated with Lit^Lat
"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." —Philip Larkin

JJ
JJSlote
Platform: Windows
Location: Unlogged bugs thru RC8:  t=61527 HTML clipboard miscode; 62407 Multiselect on edit

Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:42 pm Post

gr wrote:it would generally be the developer of the citation manager software that makes such plug-ins.
That would require Scrivener to have plug-in and scripting capabilities. Not in prospect at this point, but those wishing for particular plug-ins are among the natural constituency for such an enhancement.

gr
Platform: Mac + iOS

Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:27 pm Post

JJSlote wrote:
gr wrote:it would generally be the developer of the citation manager software that makes such plug-ins.
That would require Scrivener to have plug-in and scripting capabilities. Not in prospect at this point, but those wishing for particular plug-ins are among the natural constituency for such an enhancement.

That's fair.

ma
marcoiac
Platform: Mac

Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:11 am Post

didn't know Docear and looks interesting. But why do you say it's no longer supported? It doesn't look like that from their website and blog

http://www.docear.org/docear/blog/

Am I missing something?

js
jstovell
Platform: Mac

Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:04 am Post

The way this is usually done with Scrivener is to paste in the temporary citation codes from your bibliography software, and then after you compile your project, run your bibliography scanner/formatter on the compiled document.