Use changing document (1st line) text as its title

db
dbc183c7
Platform: Windows

Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:23 pm Post

I have 10s of thousands of notes etc. in multiple delimited, MB+, RTF files to get into Scrivener. I know that as the import splitting occurs, it will use some of the first text of the item as the Scrivener document's title -- fixed.
I know that this has been discussed before, quite a while ago, but ... Once the 'documents' are in Scrivener, it would be useful (to me) were their title to change as their first line/sentence changed. (For instance, even were the title quasi-fixed, it would be quicker to be able to change it 'on the fly' while I was still in the document, as the thought occurs to me.)

Having handled these notes/essays this way now for a couple decades+ in my current software -- which gives me the option to 'fix' the title or default it to changing-text -- it would be nice to be able to continue the practice in Scrivener.
(Windows)

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:31 pm Post

This is coming with the next major (paid) update of Scrivener - if a document doesn't have a title, the first few words of the text will be shown.

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

db
dbc183c7

Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:21 pm Post

I have seen that the trial version is the full Scrivener, merely time-limited to 30 session-days. (Or is it 30 non-consecutive days? :wink:)
Does this mean that the contemporaneous trial version of that update would not have the feature?

[Windows 7, 8 GB; Scrivener 1.9.0.0 (trial)]

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:48 pm Post

dbc183c7 wrote:I have seen that the trial version is the full Scrivener, merely time-limited to 30 session-days. (Or is it 30 non-consecutive days? :wink:)
Does this mean that the contemporaneous trial version of that update would not have the feature?

[Windows 7, 8 GB; Scrivener 1.9.0.0 (trial)]

No, AFAIK the trial version and the paid version downloaded from L&L are the same binaries; in the latter, you've just included the code. (Note this doesn't apply to the Apple Store version.)

The next major paid upgrade will be, IIRC, 3.0
--
Devin L. Ganger
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Life has a way of moving you past wants and hopes

db
dbc183c7

Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:25 pm Post

Thank you Devin,

devinganger wrote:IIRC, 3.0

Is this v3.0 for the Mac? As a Windows user, v3.0 for Windows would be a full version away for me.

george

devinganger

Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:32 pm Post

Again, as I understand it, the next major release of both Mac and Windows Scriv will be 3.0 -- Windows will skip 2.x.
--
Devin L. Ganger

db
dbc183c7

Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:50 pm Post

Thank you Devin.
I didn't know that Literature & Latte had adopted the same marketing signal as MS had with Win 10.
(No reply necessary)

george

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:50 pm Post

I'm not sure what the story is with Microsoft skipping version 9, but in our case, when we have both platforms running with the same level of functionality, it wouldn't much make sense to have one on 3 and the other on 2 (and presumably never catching up numerically, for no good reason at all, save that it started development several years later).
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

db
dbc183c7

Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:44 am Post

Ioa/Amber,

Thanks; that's pretty much as I supposed it to my spouse after reading Devin's answer.
And pretty much as I hoped ! having seen some nice Mac functionality in the 'using Scrivener' videos that I'd use, tools (apparently?) absent in the 1.9 Windows trial version with which I'm playing (on my Win7 platform).

No reply necessary -- though of course welcome! :D

george

I've read a few reasons for MS' #10, but one was similar -- to signal that they were up-to-date with the Mac OS. Another MS reason suggested was to put some distance between their new OS and the less than stellar v8.x.

devinganger

Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:30 am Post

dbc183c7 wrote:I've read a few reasons for MS' #10, but one was similar -- to signal that they were up-to-date with the Mac OS. Another MS reason suggested was to put some distance between their new OS and the less than stellar v8.x.

The most convincing argument I've seen has to do with volumes of poorly written applications that check for the version of Windows they're running on by matching the string "Windows 9*" to match Windows 95 and 98. It would match Windows 9 and cause all sorts of problems.
--
Devin L. Ganger

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:19 pm Post

Ha, that wouldn’t surprise me in the least. The Win9k [1] problem.

1. All right, I know, that makes no sense. :)
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

db
dbc183c7

Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:53 pm Post

devin,

Yes, that too was one I'd heard, and having reprogrammed a ledger & grant system through Y2K (aka Win9k), as you say, the most likely coding reason for '10'.

dbc183c7 wrote:one was similar

Of course, I meant 'similar' superficially! :D Quite happy with Win7, I am looking forward to Scrivener for Windows v3 MUCH more than to Win10.

Sanguinius

Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:47 pm Post

As someone with a W10 laptop and a W7 desktop, I can honestly say that I will never update the desktop to W10. It doesn't have enough to make me say, "Oh, yeah, this is definitely better than my current system!" I said that after Vista, and I'm still waiting to say it.

devinganger

Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:07 am Post

Sanguinius wrote:As someone with a W10 laptop and a W7 desktop, I can honestly say that I will never update the desktop to W10. It doesn't have enough to make me say, "Oh, yeah, this is definitely better than my current system!" I said that after Vista, and I'm still waiting to say it.

Being able to login with my Microsoft account across all of my devices and have specific non-document settings auto-synchronize? Heaven. Keeps me from having to maintain a domain controller at home, makes things easier for my family. LOVE LOVE LOVE Windows 10 on the desktop.

There is one desktop that isn't getting upgraded from Win7, but that's because it's nearly 6 years old and getting replaced with a Surface Pro 3 + docking station for my wife.
--
Devin L. Ganger

Sanguinius

Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:56 pm Post

devinganger wrote:
Sanguinius wrote:As someone with a W10 laptop and a W7 desktop, I can honestly say that I will never update the desktop to W10. It doesn't have enough to make me say, "Oh, yeah, this is definitely better than my current system!" I said that after Vista, and I'm still waiting to say it.

Being able to login with my Microsoft account across all of my devices and have specific non-document settings auto-synchronize? Heaven. Keeps me from having to maintain a domain controller at home, makes things easier for my family. LOVE LOVE LOVE Windows 10 on the desktop.

There is one desktop that isn't getting upgraded from Win7, but that's because it's nearly 6 years old and getting replaced with a Surface Pro 3 + docking station for my wife.

Eh, different strokes :)