lock binder order to prevent accidental reordering

st
starrigger
Platform: Windows

Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:52 pm Post

lunk wrote:You don’t need to roll back. Copy and rename the backup, open it and compare with your current project.

Is there a "compare" function? Or can you open the two files side-by-side? (I've never tried something like that in Scrivener.)

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:59 pm Post

You can open two projects yes, in separate windows, and compare.
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running Mojave.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:52 am Post

starrigger wrote:Giving users options is rarely a terrible idea.

Spoken like someone who has never done real deep technical support.
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Winner "Best in Class", 2018 My First Supervillain Photo Shoot

devinganger

Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:54 am Post

TromboneAl wrote:Whenever I create a new version, I do a compare with the last version and make sure I didn't cause such a major error, but not everyone does that.

No matter how smart you make the tool, the user has to be smart enough to use it. There are seldom technological solutions to behavioral problems.
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG

st
starrigger

Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:33 am Post

devinganger wrote:
TromboneAl wrote:Whenever I create a new version, I do a compare with the last version and make sure I didn't cause such a major error, but not everyone does that.

No matter how smart you make the tool, the user has to be smart enough to use it. There are seldom technological solutions to behavioral problems.

Rarely have I encountered such a supercilious attitude toward users who are trying to make their best use of a product. Really. A product is supposed to serve the user, not the other way around. There are in fact many technological solutions that address what you call behavioral problems. Auto-save being the most obvious example.

is
isagirl
Platform: Mac

Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:49 am Post

starrigger wrote:Isa, I'm missing something in your suggestion to use backups as a way to correct an accidental move of a scene or chapter. Yes, I see that you can roll back to an earlier version. But let's say you find a version three days ago, before you unwittingly moved a chapter inside another chapter. If you revert to that version, you lose all the work you did during the interim. What you want is a way to find the errant chapter and move it back.

I probably wasn't clear on this point. In this particular case I wouldn't revert, but use an old version to look at the scene order in the binder and correct the new version manually.

st
starrigger

Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:10 pm Post

isagirl wrote:
starrigger wrote:Isa, I'm missing something in your suggestion to use backups as a way to correct an accidental move of a scene or chapter. Yes, I see that you can roll back to an earlier version. But let's say you find a version three days ago, before you unwittingly moved a chapter inside another chapter. If you revert to that version, you lose all the work you did during the interim. What you want is a way to find the errant chapter and move it back.

I probably wasn't clear on this point. In this particular case I wouldn't revert, but use an old version to look at the scene order in the binder and correct the new version manually.

I see. Thank you. I thought I had tried in the past to open two projects simultaneously, and not been able to. But I see now that you can. All is clear.

On my computer, Word is much faster than Scrivener, so doing the same thing but using the Word exports is probably easier. Same principle, though.

There was some mention of sorting the binder by last date changed. I'm not seeing how to do that. (Using Windows version.)

devinganger

Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:30 pm Post

Ricson wrote:As someone who has repeatedly accidentally moved things in my binder (on Windows, using a perfectly good mouse), I find the reasons given for not offering the option unpersuasive. I notice the reason wasn't "we can't do it for coding reasons"; it was, "if we do it, other things will be affected."

The person who would have to do the work, and the people who would have to support the customers after the work was done, find it a persuasive argument...which is pretty much all of the people who need to be persuaded, no?
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG

Bj
Bjorn

Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:05 am Post

I agree that a lock on the folders would be a great benefit. It has happened a couple of times that a text or a folder suddenly "dissapeared" only to be found later inside another folder or text...

I therefore manually added a number to the folders to make sure that one did not go missing.

As
Astaff

Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:43 am Post

Ricson wrote:As someone who has repeatedly accidentally moved things in my binder (on Windows, using a perfectly good mouse), I find the reasons given for not offering the option unpersuasive.

Without wanting to be rude, it doesn’t matter how ‘unpersuasive’ you find the reasons. The Mac developer(and owner of L&L) has said it’s a firm NO.

On very rare occasions he can decide something requested is a good idea after all (iOS Scrivener), though in this case as I read their replies, there are more negatives than positives. A persuasive argument backed up by facts if you have the technical knowledge to support may achieve a discussion, but saying the argument is unpersuasive, very unlikely.

End of the day, Keith & Co don’t have to persuade anyone their decision is the best. It’s theirs to make.