Scrivener for iOS - When?

TA
TAFenmore
Platform: Windows

Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:53 am Post

As long as I can see the binder contents so I know which file is which and it synchs reliably, I'd buy it regardless of cost. Everything else can be added via updates as Keith's team is good and ready.
The app could be called "Bridge to Scrivener" as opposed to "Scrivener Lite". When "Scrivener Lite" is ready to be launched, those owning "Bridge to Scrivener" can upgrade and pay the difference. Example: If 'Bridge' costs $15 and 'Lite' costs $30, then 'Bridge' users pay another $15 for the 'Lite'.
As a windows user, I know Keith's team does an excellent job of giving us updates regularly so I know it will be the same for iOS.

Please don't anyone use my post for hurling insults at Keith & his team.

Thanks,
Tricia

Edit:
P.S. - Or just call it "The Bridge" so no one is confused with it being 'the real Scrivener'.
Last edited by TAFenmore on Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

te
tempestglen
Platform: Mac

Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:43 am Post

KB wrote:
Flur wrote:Also, I didn't "accuse" you of mentally rebelling against the iPad, I suggested you might be and then acknowledged that it was something I'd done in the past. Sorry if it offends you that I'm acknowledging that people rebel against change, but the truth is that we all do it, it's human nature. We all sometimes just don't like things, which I've already acknowledged. No need to get worked up about it.

I'm not saying I don't rebel against change - ask my wife, who constantly despairs over my dislike of anything remotely resembling change ("Wait, you want us to have a different meal on Wednesdays?"). It's just that the iPad isn't for me. I love my iPhone and will use Scrivener for iOS on it all the time. I'm also vaguely thinking about only taking my iPad Pro with me when I go on holiday in February, to see how well the iOS version stands up without the desktop version nearby over a few days, but that will mainly be an experiment for the sake of users (and assuming I've made enough progress to do so by then - I very much hope so).

So, the top reason I like Scriv for drafting is the ability to rearrange the order of scenes. That's exclusive to Scrivener, correct?

I think there are other apps that do that these days, but they either don't allow you to view them either in isolation or as a whole (it's either one or the other), or they don't support any structural features.

Hi KB, since apple inc. has decided to develope ipad pro as productivity, ie content creating rather than content consuming device, you may write a letter to them and show your difficulty of making a fantastic productive app on iOS. I guess they will notice your complain with possible "change" on iOS text system.

Cm
Cmariegi

Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:17 pm Post

TAFenmore wrote:As long as I can see the binder contents so I know which file is which and it synchs reliably, I'd buy it regardless of cost. Everything else can be added via updates as Keith's team is good and ready.
The app could be called "Bridge to Scrivener" as opposed to "Scrivener Lite". When "Scrivener Lite" is ready to be launched, those owning "Bridge to Scrivener" can upgrade and pay the difference. Example: If 'Bridge' costs $15 and 'Lite' costs $30, then 'Bridge' users pay another $15 for the 'Lite'.
As a windows user, I know Keith's team does an excellent job of giving us updates regularly so I know it will be the same for iOS.

Please don't anyone use my post for hurling insults at Keith & his team.

Thanks,
Tricia

Edit:
P.S. - Or just call it "The Bridge" so no one is confused with it being 'the real Scrivener'.

I think this would be a fabulous idea! I also don't mind the cost the scrivener team comes up with or paying twice if need-be for a bridge version then a lite version in the future.

All the best,
Christina

Better with Coffee
Platform: Mac + Windows

Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:34 pm Post

From a profit standpoint, you could offer it low cost and have a required sign in where you then have their email to market to for the desktop versions.

You could have tiered system with in app purchases.

You could also have apps require purchased upgrades (not real popular with users....go check out omnioutliner's comments :D)

I think that if it did something as simple as access the data from dropbox it would be nice...of course a managed server is sweet but that takes time and money.

te
tempestglen

Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:32 pm Post

I am learning Scrivener now, one bad thing is the "icon and text" menu font is quite small, the footer view font is especially little and my eyes stressed. I've change the font to 20 size in preference but not all font are big enough.

I hope all font size doubled in my 13" macbook air.

wi
wingwizard

Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:36 pm Post

Hi, I'm new here, a scrivener user of a few years but read this thread after posting a question Keith replied to on the facebook page. I was quite surprised to see, on a thread concerning the development of an ios version of scrivener a general trend toward downplaying or at least being mystified at the advantages of ipad over macs and pcs, which are abundant for those who have that preference. I'd like to make a few points on this, and chuck a couple of questions Keithward if possible. :) I definitely am not interested in a mac vs ipad thing because it's absolutely meaningless, like arguing chocolate cake vs pizza (pizza btw.. no chocolate cake... no pizza).. and generally devolves a useful discussion into people trying to justify their expenditure.

This is intended as an ipad positive post, and an ios scrivener positive post from someone excited about the latter.

So. Here are some points based on the experience of someone who loves Scrivener, and has used the windows version for a few years now, as his sole writing program. When I first plotted a novel, I was 16 and I, as I often do, invented the planning method I needed. I bought a huge sheet of black sugar paper, as my project had become unwieldy, and I needed an instant visual reference. To this I stuck tens of differently coloured memo pad note sheets, with chapter titles - the colours relating to the thread of the novel. I was amazed when I discovered that corkboarding existed in apps, and realised very quickly that Scrvener (having grown sick of microsoft word's constant formatting issues) had emerged as the byproduct of a writer who could code simply making in one app all the things they had lamented the absence of in others.

So what with all the talk of simplifying and natural interfaces - it's very odd to me that there's any mystery over why the ipad as an interface might be preferential to a mac or pc for writing and plotting. It is a touchscreen interface. I can touch the screen and instantly drag around coloured cards, visually, just as I did with the sugar paper. Even in the corkboard mode on desktop scrivener, I find this very clunky (remember, I adore scrivener), just as I do with most mindmappng software on pc or mac. Even on ipad, apps like index card aren't great -- why can't I zoom in and out, on a touch screen, which for almost all apps features pinch to zoom? On a corkboard app begging for this. The very best planning app for me is corkulous. It's so fluid and intuitiive. Unlike index card I can drag and resize my cards, pinch to zoom right on and out. The freeform corkboard is something I'd been waiting for on windows scrivener as I can't really use the rigid one. To change the size of a card, involves changing the size of all cards. Another thing that is essential to me, is being able to mess about with cards and order in different areas of the page. This was what the freeform looked good for. On corkulous I may have a few cards in clusters, for different sections of the book that are getting arranged seperately from each other. This is a very basic and necessary function that is lacking in most corkboard apps.

This brings me to my first question:

- As mentioned in someone's above post, that I greatly related to, ipad scrivener would be fantastic as an editor and for restructing. These are the two most important points for me. To this end - will the freeform corkboard be a part of the app?

If I was able to export from scrivener an opml or something into a mind mapping app retaining the label colours, I would be happy, then exprt back. But as it is, I don't think exporting to any mind mapper retains the colours of labelswhich I work with almost exclusively as my major organisation tool. It's useless to me to be able to import an opml when all that means is a structural tree. I'd have to go through the whole mind map adding colours and then I may as well build the whole chpater structure from scratch in corkulous which I prefer anyway (currently the best looking option - I wish I could import export into it from scriv... this is why I'd like scrivener ios lite-whatever it ends up being called to ahve the freeform corkboard...)

- Also.. if the corkboard is included on ios, seeing as the ipad has intrinsic advantages over any mac or pc that is not touchscreen, would there be a pinch to zoom feature? I am something of a power user, not that I ever thought I would be, of ipad apps, for lots of creative pursuits, and the apps, it should be noted, that succeed and are a joy are ones that feel like they are written for ipad and understand the major advantages of the hardware and interface. The ones that tend not to do so well, are those that feel like they're trying to port a desktop interface onto ios - having to use menus to resize or zoom is so cumbersome - just as having to click on a touchscreen with your finger to select text is less intuitive than using a mouse. There are advantages and disadvantages either way.

The ipad is infinitely more intuitive as a touchscreen device in terms of navigating visual media. So as a planning/plotting tool it is a joy to use compared to desktop stuff. It's light portable, the battery does last a lot longer in reality than laptops (I know there are things you can tweak but this is the reality for 99 percent).

I'll digress for a moment to say that on my ipad pro, I can draw, with the most beautiful interface for portable sketching out there, write, compile a comic, and record music to a professional level, use touchscreen soft synths, arrange and compose... as a writer/musician and hmm sort of artist trying to get back into it, it's the most exciting piece of equipment I have owned. I want writing to be a part of that, and organising novels in a visual way - it should be a perfect match.

The pro hardware wise is more powerful than most macs and pcs in the wild - people are working on scrivener on laptops that are a few years old mostly. So the only distinction really is ios.

Here's my next question :) (hope you don't mind)

- I noted in the apple store, that typing in pages using the official external keyboard, meant there was no auto capitalisation and apostrophising etc. This is an absolute deal breaker for me for a writing app. It was the same on my air with a bluetooth keyboard and I realise it must be that those functions natively (not sure if right term, hope you understand what I mean) are designed to work with the onscreen keyboard only. However... when I used the microsoft word app, it was beautiful, auto capitlisation everything worked wonderfully so it's obviously not a problem except in certain apps not fully coded for ios. Will scrivener work fully like this? I find it a joke that apple's much publicised word processor, doesn't even work properly with its official keyboard when micrsoft's app does. Not a particularly hilarious joke, I must admit - i didn't double over in howls of laughter on finding this in the store but there you go. :)

(Quick note Re ipad writing apps

Something I find frustrating is the tendency toward markdown on ios. I despise markdown text - some people swear by it, but for me it's the equivalent of trying to record an electric guitar part, without hearing it amplified. How am I supposed to play and feel the part and express it, if while I'm playing it, I can't hear what it will sound like, just unamplified notes. This is why I have no interest in most of the journalism based markdown text editors. I found it astonishing the generation of people who truly find less functionality an improvement. I understand the use but I think the hubbub over it was beyond silly if you don't work in publishing magazines. Focused writing, full screen editing, that's what I want. Not horrendous invasive symbols representing things plaguing my text, and having to think in semi code - it's a huge complication posing as streamlining and looks hideous. ahem.)

Again, I wrote this as simply an explantion of why I, and many others, love the ipad as a writing tool and hopefully to return the tone to one that's more excited about ios scrivener as just coming to this thread as a new member, the tone was extremely downbeat regarding the platform, one that for me is infinitely more useful and productive than any mac or pc has ever been (from a ten year logic pro mac and pc user). It shares dna with scrivener, in the ethos of being a hands on tool, that demystifies things, and allows us to do what we want to do in our heads. I just think ios is a bit cumbersome and apple a very restrictive company regarding their policies and decision making - this has been evident in the ios musican community for some time now. Anyway, I promised I wouldnt get into that.

Thanks for a fantastic piece of software that has opened up my writing into what I wanted it to be. I hope ios scrivener will do the same, even further. I don't mind it being simplified, but why not take advantage of the platform rather than seeing it as a limitation - touchscreen freeform corkboard, much like corkulous, where you can resize pinch to zoom, edit cards in clusters. That for me would be wonderful and something not possible on other systems.

wi
wingwizard

Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:12 pm Post

Oh.. I had one more question. Are collections an ios scrivener feature? I like to make a collection for each label colour I use. Say I have three labels, all my chapters are marked and coloured as. These correspond to three diff threads in a novel. I set up a collection for each, by defining it with the label name, in a search of label title's included that name. I then end up able at any time to clik on a collection and see every chapter I have written or labelled, in the structural order, that is part of that thread. It's a bit ocnvoluted but it works, and I can flick between seeing the whole novel strcuture in corkboard cards, and switching that round, and then for each individual thread, the narrative order, and how each affect each other. This is what I always wanted to be able to do. AND because I set up the collections with search terms, each collection updates automatically every time I add a new chapter with the relevant label. Will it be possible in ios scrivener?

Thank you again.

Ri
RickyJJ

Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:52 am Post

wingwizard wrote:I noted in the apple store, that typing in pages using the official external keyboard, meant there was no auto capitalisation and apostrophising etc.

iOS 9.2 has just added all autocorrect features to external keyboards, so you don't have to worry about that anymore.

wi
wingwizard

Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:16 pm Post

Thanks for that! Just downloaded - solved a major problem.

da
datahound2u

Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:02 pm Post

I was just poking around on the IOS app store, and I came across an app called Scrivo for Scrivener, by Kairoos Solutions SL. Version 1.0 was just released on 17 December, and it seems (at least from reading the description, it has no reviews yet) like it would be much more robust than SimpleNote, which I am currently using to sync with Scrivener.

I searched this forum, but could not find anything related to Scrivo for Scrivener. Does anyone know anything about it? Has anyone tried it? The price tag is $4.99, so I'd sure like to hear from someone who has already used it before I take the plunge.

Tw
Tweedwave

Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:23 pm Post

Thanks for the tip
I'm taking that 4.99 plunge
PRAYING for iOS version and getting an iPad Pro (instead of new reading glasses :)

ma
marcoiac

Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:03 pm Post

it does look like these developers are re-writing the same app and re-branding for different uses and users. i am talking about scrivo developers. i don't see anything special in the app that an app like textilus can't do. i may be wrong. most likely i'll end up buying it myself, but i am in no rush, since i love the portability of my MB12"

Je
JeremyH

Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:43 pm Post

I'm a Textilus user, and yes, Scrivo looks almost identical to Textilus.

re
reepicheep
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:00 pm Post

I'm only using Textilus until Scrivener for iOS is available.
Techie details in case I forget

Scrivener 3.1.3 (11945)
Mac OS X 10.13.6
Scrivener 1.1.5 (1301)
iOS 9.3.5/12.3.1

Pa
Patti

Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:17 pm Post

Tweedwave wrote:Thanks for the tip
I'm taking that 4.99 plunge
PRAYING for iOS version and getting an iPad Pro (instead of new reading glasses :)

And I see they've already raised the price to $5.99. And have a Pro version at $9.99....

I agree--it doesn't look much different than Textilus. Can someone tell me what the big difference is?

I think they're playing on the Scrivo/Scrivener soundalike, hoping desperate people will take the plunge.