Scrivener for iPhone?

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:36 am Post

I'd settle for, ' The Idiot's(') Guide to, Scrivener's Tutorial For Scrivener v1.1, For Dunmmies
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

Go
Gordon Robb
Platform: Windows

Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:41 am Post

So, Pigfender, are you indeed amazed that no one as asked for Scrivener for Smart Watch?

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:50 am Post

When used other than to start a sentence, "pigfender" isn't capitalised.

I think Scrivener is the killer application that will define the SmartWatch platform, especially if it can be integrated with something like Dragon Dictate.

Of course, it would only need a limited set of features compared to the desktop version.
http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
Image Image

Go
Gordon Robb

Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:06 am Post

OK then pigfender. (is there an interesting story behind the name?)

Since I know nothing of Smart Watches (unless you mean ones that look smart), I cannot comment.

Also, since I cannot tell whether you are being genuine, or ironic (which is the word I tend to use when describing humorous sarcasm), I will leave you to your thoughts rather than explore it further and risk further critique of my writing ability :D .

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:09 am Post

Gordon, in context, Pigfender wasn't being sarcastic towards you or anyone else (at least not in his first post - he seems to have gone off on one since :) ). As a bit of fun, when the Windows team were localising the interface into different languages, Pigfender created them a "sci-fi" translation" (with lots of Star Trek references in the menu items if you installed it). It's been a sort of running joke that I keep telling him we can't have that in the Mac version - hence his joke about whether we'd have it in the iPhone version, which led to the flip-up communicator/Smart Watch banter.

(Also, if Apple does announce Smart Watches, I can guarantee that users will email us halfway through their presentation asking us if we are going to develop for the Smart Watch. :) Which, by the way, is not a gripe - it's very nice to have enthusiastic users, and as frustrating for us as it is for them that we've kept them waiting so long for the iOS version.)

As for that iOS version, I wish we had kept quiet about it rather than announce that we were working on it when we did, and kept up a "we have no news on that" facade for as long as it took, but you live and learn (although I'm sure that would have frustrated users too).
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Go
Gordon Robb

Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:20 am Post

KB

My question was really only looking for a state of play as I'm getting my head around prep for this year's NaNO (the only time I actually do any creative writing :) ).

I wasn't looking for promises, but I am genuinely looking at what other options there are that will allow me to do some of the work on the iPad, and sync it with my PC.

However, I really like Scrivener, and would prefer it to stay as my solution.

Not knowing your plans, or how difficult it is, I would pay for a version that only allows me to do that, I don't need all the additional functionality you are intending (wonderful as it will be I'm sure).

Keep at it and, if you can, keep us informed.

robertdguthrie

Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:59 pm Post

Gordon Robb wrote:KB

My question was really only looking for a state of play as I'm getting my head around prep for this year's NaNO (the only time I actually do any creative writing :) ).

I wasn't looking for promises, but I am genuinely looking at what other options there are that will allow me to do some of the work on the iPad, and sync it with my PC.

If Scrivener for iOS's release was estimated finish sometime in October, but it couldn't be guaranteed to do so, what would you do? I think it behooves you (and everyone doing NaNoWriMo) to prep as if it's not going to be ready this year.
Often wrong, rarely in doubt.
Time for a change... I'm now rdale; same dog-avatar, same dog... channel?

KB
Site Admin

Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:18 pm Post

robertdguthrie wrote:If Scrivener for iOS's release was estimated finish sometime in October, but it couldn't be guaranteed to do so, what would you do? I think it behooves you (and everyone doing NaNoWriMo) to prep as if it's not going to be ready this year.

If it's not ready this year I'm going to have a nervous breakdown.
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

robertdguthrie

Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:35 pm Post

KB wrote:
robertdguthrie wrote:If Scrivener for iOS's release was estimated finish sometime in October, but it couldn't be guaranteed to do so, what would you do? I think it behooves you (and everyone doing NaNoWriMo) to prep as if it's not going to be ready this year.

If it's not ready this year I'm going to have a nervous breakdown.

Well, I'm sure it will be, but it takes me a good month or two to ponder and work out major plot points and explore character motivations. If I were relying on an iOS version to be ready so that I could plan out my novel prior to November 1, then it'd have to be ready by early August (I'm gong to go out on a limb and assume that's not going to happen). If, on the other hand, I just assume it won't be out before the end of the year, I can set up whatever workflow I need now, begin my planning.

If iScriv is ready well before Nov 1, then that's just a huge bonus. Well, not a HUGE bonus-- I only have an iPhone. So a pocket-sized bonus!
Often wrong, rarely in doubt.
Time for a change... I'm now rdale; same dog-avatar, same dog... channel?

Jaysen

Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:31 pm Post

KB wrote:If it's not ready this year I'm going to have a nervous breakdown.

Should we preplan nom's trip? I hear his methods are ... Well, no one talks about them so they must be perfect.

Piggy, I dare you to manage NiaD on your phone next time. I double dare you.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

Go
Gordon Robb

Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:59 pm Post

robertdguthrie wrote:
Gordon Robb wrote:KB

If Scrivener for iOS's release was estimated finish sometime in October, but it couldn't be guaranteed to do so, what would you do? I think it behooves you (and everyone doing NaNoWriMo) to prep as if it's not going to be ready this year.

Just to be clear, I don't need Scrivener on iOS to do any of my planning/prep. As part of my planning/prep I'm looking at streamlining the process I will use come Nov 1st do do the actual writing.

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:02 pm Post

Jaysen wrote:Piggy, I dare you to manage NiaD on your phone next time. I double dare you.

Next time?
http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
Image Image

Jaysen

Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:32 pm Post

pigfender wrote:
Jaysen wrote:Piggy, I dare you to manage NiaD on your phone next time. I double dare you.

Next time?

You know you can't say no to a NiaD. It's like crack to you. Just the thought sends a shiver down your spine.

Now go get the outline done. On your phone.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:04 pm Post

Not everyone plans for NaNoWriMo. I think I've started, in all but one case, on November 1 with nothing but some alphabetic symbols. An empty piece of software would work well, too.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Jaysen

Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:24 pm Post

AmberV wrote:An empty piece of vic-k's brain would work well, too.

Fixed it for you.

Although I'm not sure a "full piece" ever existed...
Jaysen

ImageImage