Better User Interface

sfosparky
Platform: Windows

Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:12 pm Post

Bdillahu wrote:Sure agree with this, although I had some problems with the "highlight" color in the Binder... if you have a dark background in the Binder, I couldn't figure out a way to set the "selected" color to be light.Bruce

See also viewtopic.php?f=4&t=25146 (Wish: Add option to specify color of selected Binder entry)

Cheers & Happy 2014, too,
Riley
SFO

Bd
Bdillahu
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:50 pm Post

Yep, that's the very thing... thanks for the pointer to the other thread!

Bruce

AndreasE

Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:23 pm Post

I ask myself whether the initiator of this thread maybe has overlooked the "compose"-functionality and it's many options? To create a "WriteRoom"-like interface should be a piece of cake.

Am
Amcmo

Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:13 pm Post

Pretty interface vs superior functionality....mmm.

Seems a no-brainer to me.

I'd go for the pretty interface... NO I WOULDN'T!

Scrivener 'just works' like all good things Mac/iOS.

I'm now 60,000 words into my second book, effortless work in Scrivener (compiling was the only learning curve). Also using it for Uni assignments (Doing another masters at 60+). What is not to like about the program?

Kev, don't be tempted to go pretty just for pretty's sake. Keep giving us the superior program!

Scrivener has been the best $$ I've spent on a program in MANY years, and the licence is the most family friendly I've ever seen.

Looking forward to the iOS version so I can contribute another very modest $ to your retirement fund in return for a massive enhancement in my productivity!

Floss
Platform: Windows

Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:53 am Post

Amcmo wrote:Kev, don't be tempted to go pretty just for pretty's sake. Keep giving us the superior program!

c,mon people. even though we all know people who have had some damn ugly children, it,s against the rules of social conformity to tell people their kids aren,t attractive.

not that this applies in your case, keith. scrivener is a darn good lookin baby.
:€

Am
Amcmo

Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:09 am Post

I should have said, I find it just fine looking, it doesn't need additional prettying.

For me the main point is just how great it works.

ba
bamboo
Platform: Mac

Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:33 pm Post

Hello,

What I initially meant, wasn't that Scrivener needs a complete featureless look (minimalistic look like iA Writer), but there could be better interface styles. Let me give an example:

Please look at the following screenshot of Adobe Photoshop CS 6, which is a picture software:

http://img.creativemark.co.uk/uploads/images/324/14324/img3File.png

This looks amazing, although this is the feature richest applications for photographers, media designers, etc. And the look doesn't get old, they are doing this now for three Photoshop versions, and it still WORKS.

Those clumpy Buttons and Sliders don't look good at all...

KB
Site Admin

Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:02 pm Post

You really think Photoshop looks amazing? Don't get me wrong, it looks fine and does the job, but it's just a dark and functional, and it is not something that users often bring up as "beautiful". A dark UI wouldn't suit Scrivener at all (given that most users will be writing on white "paper"), and nor would palettes and such. Scrivener uses a *standard Mac UI* - exactly as laid out by Apple. If you don't like the look of buttons and sliders, then you probably need to take that up with Apple. :)
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Jo
Jordi Mora

Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:51 pm Post

KB wrote:You really think Photoshop looks amazing? Don't get me wrong, it looks fine and does the job, but it's just a dark and functional, and it is not something that users often bring up as "beautiful". A dark UI wouldn't suit Scrivener at all

Completely agree: beauty may be in the eye of the beholder but genuine functionality isn't, and if Scrivener looked like that screenshot I'd never get any writing done.

Just how does that example comport with the minimalist ("iA Writer, OmmWriter") aesthetic originally asked for?

AndreasE

Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:43 am Post

I happen to know a lot of people in graphic design etc. who work with Photoshop, but I never heard any of them claim Photoshop to be beautiful. On the contrary, most comments are in the line of "yeah, it's butt-ugly, but there's no way around it". And having a look on the screenshot, I agree (at least for the butt-ugly-part). Of course, this is a matter of taste, and not all tastes are alike. And for software that deals with images, it is probably a good idea to keep everything around the workspace as dark as possible.

Then again, Scrivener's colours are changeable. I'm sure one could create a look and feel that's quite dark, if one's more comfortable with that. The controls, of course, are OS X-specific, but there's also the possibility to choose "graphite" appearance in the system settings instead of "blue".

Ti
Timotheus

Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:02 pm Post

For me both the look and the functionality of Scrivener are perfect. I don't desire anything else.
• Scrivener – Nisus – Bookends – Devonthink – Lightroom
• MacMini 2018 / MacBook Pro 2014 (10.14.6) – iPhone 7 (12.4)

I went there and came back / It was nothing special / The river at high tide / The mountain veiled by misty rain

ra
raffo77

Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:05 pm Post

We just need a lot of power in a beauty (that it's already) form... :)

p.s.: and some more features as we go... :)
p.p.s.: more powerful styles, maybe :)

Tu
Turgon

Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:50 pm Post

AmberV wrote:I wouldn’t include Ulysses in my diatribe above, I think it has a nice looking interface.

You can of course achieve a very similar look and feel with Scrivener. :)

That's a cool look you did there. I can't figure out how to change my set up to look like that. Is there a video that would show me how? A forum post that details it? Also, how hard is it to change back to the default when working on another project?

Ra
Rayz

Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:25 pm Post

bamboo wrote:Hello,

What I initially meant, wasn't that Scrivener needs a complete featureless look (minimalistic look like iA Writer), but there could be better interface styles. Let me give an example:

Please look at the following screenshot of Adobe Photoshop CS 6, which is a picture software:

http://img.creativemark.co.uk/uploads/images/324/14324/img3File.png

This looks amazing, although this is the feature richest applications for photographers, media designers, etc. And the look doesn't get old, they are doing this now for three Photoshop versions, and it still WORKS.

Those clumpy Buttons and Sliders don't look good at all...

Photoshop has a dark UI because it allows its users to pick out colours better on the canvas. Now, imagine what Scrivener would be like with black text, on a white background, surrounded by a black UI.
As if I didn't talk enough: Dom on Writing

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:44 pm Post

Turgon wrote:That's a cool look you did there. I can't figure out how to change my set up to look like that. Is there a video that would show me how? A forum post that details it? Also, how hard is it to change back to the default when working on another project?

For the most part these are default colours. The main exception is the fixed width editor background colour, which I changed to dark grey to match the Ulysses look. So you need fixed width editing turned on in the Editor preference pane (I think I recall a setting of around 580 width matches the Ulysses default). I also played with the margins a bit here.

The rest is all tweaks to the project. The Binder only affects the left column, done with the `View/Binder Affects/` sub-menu command. I've then set up clicks in the left column (which is an Outliner view with only the Title & Synopsis column) to automatically load in the text editor on the right by clicking the double-facing arrow in the footer bar. Then I hid the header and footer bars for both editors (`View/Layout/`).

As to your last question, check out the `Window/Layouts/Manage Layouts` tool. You can save this look (the part not set up in preferences that is) and apply it to other projects, and quickly switch in between it and other views. But each project has its own layout. If you create a new project after having done this, it will look normal. Everything that you can do in the menus or buttons within the project window is saved into the project's appearance settings---that project alone.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles