Wish: Add option to specify color of selected Binder entry

sfosparky
Platform: Windows

Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:26 pm Post

------
Per the attached PNG screenshot, I'd like to be able to specify the color Scrivener uses to highlight a selected item in the Binder.

Scrivener01060100BinderHighlightOptionWISH.png
Screenshot showing default Scrivener for Windows highlighting of selected Binder entry
Scrivener01060100BinderHighlightOptionWISH.png (114.83 KiB) Viewed 2086 times

In the screenshot, the Binder entry Step 4: Full Screen is selected. The highlighting of that item is close enough to the default background color of the Binder that it requires a bit of searching to locate it.

I've experimented with the Binder Background option, and am familiar with View —> Use Label Color In —> [Binder | Icons]. Both are nifty settings but neither specifically provide a way to more clearly highlight a selected Binder entry.

So assuming (uh oh) that there is currently no way to specify the Selected Binder Entry color, my wish is for that capability to be added to some future release of Scrivener.

Cheers & thanks,
Riley
SFO

robertdguthrie
Platform: Mac

Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:46 pm Post

I just discovered this myself; it's controlled by the OS in System Preferences->General->Highlight Color. I don't know if Scrivener could override that.
Often wrong, rarely in doubt.
Time for a change... I'm now rdale; same dog-avatar, same dog... channel?

sfosparky

Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:36 pm Post

robertdguthrie wrote:I just discovered this myself; it's controlled by the OS in System Preferences->General->Highlight Color. I don't know if Scrivener could override that.

I'm on Windows 7. 'twould appear that Highlight Color is an Apple option?

I say that having poked around W7's Window Color and Appearance tool without finding an option labeled Highlight Color(?)

Cheers & thanks,
Riley
SFO

JJ
JJSlote

Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:04 pm Post

Hi Riley

In Windows 7, there are "Advanced Window Color and Appearance" settings if you're willing to use a Classic or High Contrast theme. See item 7 at:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/28 ... hange.html

Unfortunately, the Classic Theme engine is gone in Windows 8, probably to achieve a faster boot time. Microsoft exhorted developers to let the OS manage these colors, and then removed users' ability to customize them in Control Panel.

Rgds -- Jerome

robertdguthrie
Platform: Mac

Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:27 pm Post

sfosparky wrote:
robertdguthrie wrote:I just discovered this myself; it's controlled by the OS in System Preferences->General->Highlight Color. I don't know if Scrivener could override that.

I'm on Windows 7. 'twould appear that Highlight Color is an Apple option?

I say that having poked around W7's Window Color and Appearance tool without finding an option labeled Highlight Color(?)

Cheers & thanks,
Riley
SFO

:oops: How did I miss the difference? Huh. Sorry to muddy the waters.
Often wrong, rarely in doubt.
Time for a change... I'm now rdale; same dog-avatar, same dog... channel?

sfosparky

Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:44 pm Post

JJSlote wrote:In Windows 7, there are "Advanced Window Color and Appearance" settings if you're willing to use a Classic or High Contrast theme.

Thanks, Jerome — that is in fact interesting and useful information.

But at this point, at least, I'm not willing to, figuratively speaking, have the Scrivener tail wag my Windows 7 theme's dog.

So I'll instead offer additional sacrifices to the L&L Goddess in the hopes they can provide a way of specifying the Binder's highlight color. If that turns out to be undoable, I'll learn to live with the non-choice…

Cheers & thanks 'gain,
Riley
SFO

gr
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:40 am Post

At risk of stating the obvious, in the meantime, you should change the binder background color, so you get some contrast!

-gr

sfosparky

Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:38 am Post

gr wrote:At risk of stating the obvious, in the meantime, you should change the binder background color, so you get some contrast!

Thanks, but per my original post:
I've experimented with the Binder Background option, and…

Cheers!
RBV

Mi
Mike Korner
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:42 pm Post

I wholeheartedly agree with the need for this. Half the time I can't even find the entry when I use "Reveal Binder". And using label colors is out of the question since they just add visual noise that I have to sift through to find my current item.

My idea: I think some sort of contrast (in addition to color) is needed for the active item. Example: Perhaps using boldface would help? Or a unique background color just for the active item? And maybe an arrow pointer to the left or right?

p.s. In the mean time, using a light yellow (like the yellow of a sun-faded legal pad) for the binder background color is about the best I've found other than white (which I'm using for my editor background).
Scrivener running on ...
  • Windows 7, 12GB RAM, 1TB disk
  • MacBook Air (2011), 2GB RAM, 256GB SSID
  • iPad Air
  • iPhone

Bd
Bdillahu
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:49 pm Post

Just chiming in with my "me too" :-)

Thanks!
Bruce

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:54 pm Post

Just a note: the lack of contrast when the binder isn't focussed is a known problem. If we could have easily sorted it out by now we would have. The highlight colour is dimmed when the Binder doesn't have focus, causing it to sink nearly entirely into the background colour. As you might guess, for the same reason we haven't found a way to adjust the highlight bar itself, we can't provide a control to customise it.

The solution is to choose a darker Binder background colour that stands out more against both the active and inactive row highlight. An example would be RGB 167/184/190.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

as
ashtangakasha

Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:44 am Post

As a work-around, I've found that (although it's a bit of a nuisance), I get good results by setting every document to a "default" label (I'm currently using the name "blank" and the color white). I also moved the "blank" label to the top of the label list, so it appears right under "none" and is easy to get to.

This approach forces the Binder to use the colored dot marker to indicate the current document. Since the dot's pretty big, and it's right-aligned, I find it very easy to locate in the tree (which in my projects contains hundreds of docs). I'm always glancing at the sub-doc counter blobs, too, and it's in the same place.

Although the extreme contrast between UN-labeled and labeled docs is rendered meaningless, now there's a new high-contrast distinction between the colored docs (since they all have labels now) and the current doc that's lost focus -- provided that you set the binder background to something dark.

I hope this may help some users. For newbies, it's worth noting that you can select lots of docs and change their labels all at once, so the nuisance factor isn't all that burdensome.

Allen

Guess which one is the current doc:
Binder Color Scheme.jpg
Binder Color Scheme.jpg (180.08 KiB) Viewed 1759 times