An option to bring back the good old contextual menu

db
dberreby

Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:45 pm Post

Am I the only person who hates the switch to icons-only in the contextual menu? (A switch that began a few versions ago and is now complete with 2.5.) I used Ctrl-click to do a lot of things -- move a completed blog post to the DONE folder, convert a file of notes into a folder, duplicate a note before modifying it (this creates a new version a la Snapshots but unlike a snapshot these earlier versions are searchable). And so on.

I have changed icons about three times in seven years of using Scrivener. I don't care about icons at all. But I did really like being able to click on the object of my attention and do something to it. Now I have to make sure I have got the right file highlighted and then rummage about in the menus to find what I need. Meh.

Am I really alone here? Is everybody else so much more interested in changing the podium to a lightbulb that they don't care about the other contextual menu items?

If I am not alone, could we have an option in Preferences to keep the old contextual menu?

David

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:34 pm Post

If you're only seeing icons, then it's simply because you are Ctrl-clicking *on* the icon. If you Ctrl-click anywhere else in the title row, you get the same contextual menu as always, as specified in the release notes.
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

db
dberreby

Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:26 pm Post

KB wrote:If you're only seeing icons, then it's simply because you are Ctrl-clicking *on* the icon. If you Ctrl-click anywhere else in the title row, you get the same contextual menu as always, as specified in the release notes.

Ohhhhh. Um. Right. Well, then. A prime case of RTFM, I guess.

Thanks, Keith, as always, and sorry about that.

David

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:51 pm Post

Ha, no problem!
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:58 pm Post

Hmm, actually in this case I had it in my mind that feature would be pushed back to a later release, so there is nothing in the manual to RTFM with. I'll get that fixed.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles