Daily word count

Ma
Mammalian
Platform: Mac

Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:28 am Post

I'd like a word count that is not specific to a particular document but global so that I can enter a daily or session objective and keep track of that no matter where I am in my project. I could jump around and know how many words I've written per session.

KB
Site Admin

Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:40 pm Post

Project > Project Targets.
All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

shaybella
Platform: Windows

Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:43 am Post

Just throwing out a second to this request, and asking for the counts to be available as a history throughout the life of the project.

I found out about Scrivener through NaNoWriMo. During the actual event I was using yWriter and the productivity reports there, as bare bones as they are, were super helpful in tracking down where I was having problems with hitting my daily word count targets. I've since used the trial version of Scrivener (waiting for winner discounts to finally post on the nano site!), and while I'm more productive in Scrivener (the organizational features rock! and the editor is much more user friendly), I find I'm copying my daily writing into yWriter to take advantage of their reports, which is kind of inconvenient.

So, it's not just being able to see today's total, or having to remember to look up the session total each time upon exiting the program (which I may go through four or five sessions in a day as I squeeze in time) which is so nifty -- it's being able to see the history of the progress being made, including the words removed during editing.

Thank you in advance for the consideration!

Ve
Veronika

Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:51 pm Post

I agree, tracking word count over time would be very useful.

KB
Site Admin

Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:27 pm Post

I don't understand why you can't do this in a spreadsheet - just enter your word count at the end of each day? The thing is, if I added any sort of word count tracker to Scriv, it would never be enough - someone would always want something more out of the reports, until there was a whole spreadsheet layer in there. :) Out of interest, though, what information is tracked in yWriter? Can you post a screenshot?
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

ge
gernotweise

Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:21 am Post

I have made good experience using a excel sheet to track daily word count during the past Nanowirmo. I also do not see a need to have it in scrivener as a minimalistic solution want help at all and a more sophisticated solution would blow up the tool unnecessarily. For anyone who is interested you can download my nano template here:
http://textnotes.wordpress.com/?post=216

Gernot

Ve
Veronika

Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:19 pm Post

KB wrote:I don't understand why you can't do this in a spreadsheet - just enter your word count at the end of each day?

For the same reason I don't create my own corkboard in PowerPoint. :) Because to have it in Scrivener would eliminate the need to use other software (and I speak as someone who earns her living by doing computer simulations) and would add to the niftiness of the self-contained writing haven that is Scrivener.

KB wrote:The thing is, if I added any sort of word count tracker to Scriv, it would never be enough - someone would always want something more out of the reports, until there was a whole spreadsheet layer in there. :) Out of interest, though, what information is tracked in yWriter? Can you post a screenshot?

I promise that if you add the daily word count tracker to Scrivener, I will never ask for any more word-count features. Scout's honour! In any case, what else could anyone want re word-count tracking, apart from targets?

robertdguthrie

Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:44 pm Post

Veronika wrote:I promise that if you add the daily word count tracker to Scrivener, I will never ask for any more word-count features. Scout's honour! In any case, what else could anyone want re word-count tracking, apart from targets?

Besides Graphs? And hourly progress tracking? And separate values for written, deleted, and changed words? Or deadline tracking (an actual future enhancement for the windows version)? Time spent actually typing? Time spent away from the computer vs. periods spent in other apps besides scrivener?

I've seen just about all of those things requested, but while it might be neat, I don't really see the need, as a user & writer myself. Sure, it's handy to be able to look back and see how many days in a row you've managed to write more than 1,000 words, or examine the times of day that you are your most wordy, but I don't think that the programming time is worth it when you can just import a spreadsheet into your project and double-click it every time you want to update your word count.
Often wrong, rarely in doubt.
Time for a change... I'm now rdale; same dog-avatar, same dog... channel?

Ve
Veronika

Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:30 pm Post

Users' needs differ. I would like to see this particular feature while no doubt not seeing any point in other features that some other user may find useful.

The programming time spent on this feature by one or a few persons once would be far shorter than the combined time by many (or even a few) users exporting their daily data every day and maintaining spreadsheets.

KB
Site Admin

Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:35 pm Post

Well, there's only one person on the Mac version and two on the Windows side, so there wouldn't be "a few". :) Also, while your logic might be valid, it doesn't follow that the time spent by that one person would be as productively spent on that as on many other things that need doing. The trouble is, Robert is right - although you only need a basic word tracker feature, once any feature is added, it opens the floodgates for requests for additions or improvements to that feature, and I too have seen many varied requests about word tracking features. There are users who want graphs and many other things besides. My time is finite, just like everyone else's, so I only want to spend it working on features I too would use. :) I really do think that this sort of thing is better left to a dedicated program that is designed to allow you to keep track of this sort of thing, rather than having it tacked on in Scrivener somewhere.

All the best,
Keith

be
benlovejoy

Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:11 am Post

robertdguthrie wrote:Graphs? And hourly progress tracking? And separate values for written, deleted, and changed words? Or deadline tracking (an actual future enhancement for the windows version)? Time spent actually typing? Time spent away from the computer vs. periods spent in other apps besides scrivener?

And of course the all-important words-per-cup-of-tea and scenes per biscuit counts.

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:51 am Post

benlovejoy wrote:And of course the all-important words-per-cup-of-tea and scenes per biscuit counts.

Subdivided into type of tea and biscuit. This is actually the most important one, as it is crucial for ensuring you've properly stocked the writing snack stash. Without this knowledge, you can find yourself reaching for that next biscuit in the middle of a word-high only to come up empty, and it completely destroys the flow.
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

be
benlovejoy

Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:35 am Post

Very true. I'm pretty sure I get 17% more words from Tarry Lapsang than I do from Earl Grey, but it would be good to have the hard data. This feature is a surprising omission by L&L.

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:03 pm Post

The root problem here is that Keith doesn't drink tea. :shock:
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

be
benlovejoy

Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:58 pm Post

I fear he may be expelled from the country following this shocking revelation.