Where has the iOS Wish List Gone?

User avatar
KB
Site Admin
Posts: 20719
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:23 pm
Platform: Mac
Location: Truro, Cornwall
Contact:

Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:14 pm Post

You may have noticed that the "Scrivener for iOS - What Do You Want?" forum has been removed. This is because we are no longer after active input on ideas for the 1.x version of Scrivener for iOS. Our design is complete and development is well underway. (We're still hoping to get it out before the end of the year, but don't be too surprised if it gets pushed back into early next year; such is the way with one-man - or rather one-woman - development teams and labours of love.)

If you have posted ideas to the iOS forum, don't worry - we haven't deleted the forum, it has just been hidden. Once Scrivener for iOS has been released, we will create a dedicated section of the forum for it and move all of the posts from the old subforum to that.

In the meantime, thank you for all of your ideas - they have been very helpful. It's not possible to accommodate all of them, especially in version 1.0, but we hope that you will like Scrivener for iOS when it is released - and you'll be able to post your feedback and ideas again once it's out and you see what it has to offer.

Thanks and all the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

User avatar
pigfender
Posts: 2802
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:25 am
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS
Location: I share a head with a great many personalities
Contact:

Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:32 pm Post

KB wrote:Our design is complete and development is well underway


I'm excited, and I don't even own an iOS device!
Image Image
http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013

ra
ravensview
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:14 pm
Platform: Windows

Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:42 pm Post

I'll be glad to see this when it comes out. I wish one of the targets had been the start of NaNoWriMo this year, as in de-scope the features list until a Nov 1 date can be met.
I'm using my iPad more and more this year, so really need to find a PC-iPad combination before November.

User avatar
KB
Site Admin
Posts: 20719
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:23 pm
Platform: Mac
Location: Truro, Cornwall
Contact:

Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:22 pm Post

ravensview wrote:I'll be glad to see this when it comes out. I wish one of the targets had been the start of NaNoWriMo this year, as in de-scope the features list until a Nov 1 date can be met.
I'm using my iPad more and more this year, so really need to find a PC-iPad combination before November.


We could de-scope it, as long as you don't need it to be usable. :) We would have loved to get it out by November 1st, and I wouldn't rule it out entirely, but I'd say it's unlikely. Development with attention to detail takes a long time.
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

User avatar
pigfender
Posts: 2802
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:25 am
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS
Location: I share a head with a great many personalities
Contact:

Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:04 pm Post

ravensview wrote:I'm using my iPad more and more this year, so really need to find a PC-iPad combination before November.


There is such a thing as too convenient a workflow, you know!

My own workflow consists of a notepad and a pen for inital note taking and thoughts. This is then manually transferred into Scrivener. This is to say, thoughts turned to index cards, and moved around. Scribbled bits of text are re-typed and rewritten, in which is the first little introduction of editing, redrafting and polish. It helps instill a sense of quality control at every stage of the writing and development process.

It's great that L&L are producing an app that enables you to work on your actually scriv projects on the go, but don't be so hasty in the meantime to have an IT solution that takes hastily produced notes on the fly and syncs them straight up to your work in progress. Any iPad app that produces a text file could be used the same way I use my notepad. Make notes in these files. Upload them to your scratchpad folder. Then go through the process of manually going through those, rewriting as necessary, and importantly, rethinking where they go. In my case, they might end up in one of several places:
- inside a scene's text
- inside my unplaced scenes folder
- as background colour to a character or location sheet
- the trash

I personally find this forced seperation to be especially helpful when my notes are being taken in less than focused environments - when I'm on the go, essentially. Since these are often the places people use their iPads, don't necessarily worry too much about having seamless syncing with your scriv project from a third party ipad app at the moment. Consider embracing the manual syncing process and making it a part of your workflow that adds to the quality of your writing.
Image Image
http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013

Ja
Jake@mac
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:29 pm
Platform: Mac

Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:37 am Post

KB wrote:Our design is complete and development is well underway. (We're still hoping to get it out before the end of the year, but don't be too surprised if it gets pushed back into early next year; such is the way with one-man - or rather one-woman - development teams and labours of love.)


Hmm that are good news. Hopeing that Scrivener will be the best writing app on iOS, using it on my iPhone and maybe iPad that would be great.
But wait?
Waiting for the end of the year or maybe next year arg this is long. I am quite not sure to buy an iPad or buy an Macbook Air now. I mean waiting for 6 months until Scrivener for iOS will be released is quite long.

In 6 months everything can happen.

Does not know if working on an iPad will be that efficient as working on an another Mac or Macbook Air, but the 10 hours of battery life is amazing and I think this is worth it.
I have an iMac and I love this machine, but for traveling just thinking about buying an iPad but not sure if Scrivener for iOS will be such good as it will look like on another Mac.

Maybe Keith give us some stuff how awesome it will be.
Keith you have been working with the iOS app on the iPad, give us some cookies to feed the trolls. ;)

Regards
Jake

User avatar
KB
Site Admin
Posts: 20719
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:23 pm
Platform: Mac
Location: Truro, Cornwall
Contact:

Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:15 am Post

I haven't been working on the iOS version, Jen has - I work only on the Mac version. :) It's going to be awesome, but it will be very stripped down when compared to the Mac version, because iOS is not capable of running a full version of Scrivener. It will be a great mobile version of Scrivener, though - thus, it takes time.
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

is
istara
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:07 pm

Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:07 pm Post

Jake@mac wrote:Does not know if working on an iPad will be that efficient as working on an another Mac or Macbook Air, but the 10 hours of battery life is amazing and I think this is worth it.


I just got a Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Case for my iPad this week, and it has absolutely transformed it. It's now as good as any (small) laptop - typing is really comfortable, the angle the iPad sits at is nice, it's easy to use - and most importantly, it's still far more portable than a laptop, meaning you're more likely to take it around with you for moments of inspiration.

I used mine at a cafe table today (for work not a novel sadly!) and it is also so much more table-friendly than a laptop, the larger sizes of which really need a proper desk. Also you don't have to be so nervous about drinks, because - worst case scenario - all you're going to drown is the $100 Logitech keyboard case, not a multi-thousand-dollar laptop. And we know how the Genius Bar guys love water damage ;)

So it was essentially this experience that got me wondering and hoping whether there might one day be an iOS version of Scrivener, and I'm delighted to discover there will be!

User avatar
Typo
Posts: 194
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:18 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:48 am Post

istara wrote:I just got a Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Case for my iPad this week, and it has absolutely transformed it. It's now as good as any (small) laptop - typing is really comfortable, the angle the iPad sits at is nice, it's easy to use - and most importantly, it's still far more portable than a laptop, meaning you're more likely to take it around with you for moments of inspiration.


Agreed. I bought the cheapest BT keyboard around it's just perfect - extremely light and thin, and since it's not a case you can place the iPad in any position so that id doesn't reflect any light. I've come to appreciated iA Writer very much (and its connection to iCloud), but in the end I have to copy/paste my text back into my Scrivener projects. And since Writer is plain text all formatting and comments would be lost, so revising is not possible on iPad. Yet. :)

To ensure the lasting gruffiness and quirkiness of KB I'll make sure to post a new thread on release day: "Good. We're done with this. Finally. Now, how about an Android port? And Surface? Shouldn't take too long, right? RIGHT?" :D

co
cor_stellae
Posts: 152
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:19 pm
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Costa Rica

Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:09 pm Post

Congratulations Keith and Jen! This certainly looks like you're advancing a lot. That's great news. I certainly will be buying iScrivener as soon as it gets out. I'm sure it will be a great app, even with all the limitations iOS imposes.

User avatar
Dain
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:12 pm
Platform: Mac
Location: Somewhere on the highways of North America
Contact:

Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:47 pm Post

KB wrote:I haven't been working on the iOS version, Jen has - I work only on the Mac version. :) It's going to be awesome, but it will be very stripped down when compared to the Mac version, because iOS is not capable of running a full version of Scrivener. It will be a great mobile version of Scrivener, though - thus, it takes time.


Will it be able to handle a 'full' scrivener project or will it require transcoding between platforms?
Anyone can start a story. Most everyone can finish a story. It takes a writer to complete the middle.

wr
writerbfk
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:38 pm
Platform: Mac

Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:31 pm Post

It ill be great to have an IOS version. I think it will help me in the organizing/outlining/corkboard. I can see myself cuddling in comfortable under a quilt and moving chapters and scenes around with smooth finger drags; and thus living happily every after.

Although this project well underway, in capable hands and in need of no further input -- let me offer two 'Non-Wishes" -- from my Mac OS& IOS experience with Pages and MacJournal.

Non-Wish #1> Forget about formatting. From other programs that try this it often fails to work.
Forget about it. If people want to format their text let 'em do it at the desktop. Add formatting later if high demand.

Non-Wish #2 - Don't try to stuff in all your super-brained WizzKid Wonders. You're smarter and more intricate than most of us; we are dumb. Think dumb.

What most of us, I'd suggest, want is to be able to SYNCH reliably and easily, to have our basic wordprocessing go from one machine to another.

MacJournal is getting there but some fumbling around often required and, plus, MacJournal is not Scrivener. (I have 'em for different reasons).

Pages goes somewhere in the Cloud and God knows what from there.

SimpleNote must die.

Scrivener must thrive.



Keep up the great work!

Ah
Ahab
Posts: 771
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:00 pm
Location: Maine

Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:16 pm Post

So I'm sitting here innocently minding my own business when my wife, a computer-phobe since the Commodore days who got an iPad for Christmas the year they were new and is now umbilically attached to it, says "When are you getting an iPad?" And I says, in the innocence of my heart, "When Jen tells me to" And she says, all bristly, "So who's this Jen?"

dr
druid
Posts: 1721
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:29 pm
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux
Location: Princeton NJ, USA

Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:40 am Post

In line with previous posters who bought Logitech wireless keyboards: I got the K760, which has the added attraction of a solar battery. It recharges from sunlight or lamplight. I've used it for several months and had no problems. Meanwhile, my wireless trackpad has required newly-charged batteries every ten days.

Another good feature: via Bluetooth, I have linked the K760 to three machines: my iMac, iPad 3, and iPhone 4. Just press F1, 2, or 3 to create the link and start typing. The keyboard is the right size for my hands and the keys have a solid, responsive action. Several of the F keys perform special operations on the iPad. The price was $76 via the Logitech web site. I highly recommend it for those who want a wireless keyboard to use in a Mac workflow.

Advice to Ahab: from now on, Jen is Jake. :wink:

Ah
Ahab
Posts: 771
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:00 pm
Location: Maine

Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:49 pm Post

druid wrote:In line with previous posters who bought Logitech wireless keyboards: I got the K760, which has the added attraction of a solar battery. It recharges from sunlight or lamplight. I've used it for several months and had no problems. Meanwhile, my wireless trackpad has required newly-charged batteries every ten days.

Another good feature: via Bluetooth, I have linked the K760 to three machines: my iMac, iPad 3, and iPhone 4. Just press F1, 2, or 3 to create the link and start typing. The keyboard is the right size for my hands and the keys have a solid, responsive action. Several of the F keys perform special operations on the iPad. The price was $76 via the Logitech web site. I highly recommend it for those who want a wireless keyboard to use in a Mac workflow.

Advice to Ahab: from now on, Jen is Jake. :wink:


An interesting tax-deductible toy--er, uh, tool. For when Jen, er, uh, Jake gives the go-ahead.