Scrivener for the Cloud?

Du
Dunwich
Platform: Windows

Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:28 am Post

I know you get plied with request for various new versions of Scrivener a lot, but has there been any consideration to creating or porting a version of Scrivener to a cloud server...sort of like Google Docs or some of the other Office compatible programs that reside "in the cloud". I for one would pay for an annual subscription (within reason of course).
Thank you.

dr
druid
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:52 am Post

This topic comes up once in a while, and I think the usual difficulty cited is that writing projects vary so widely, and uses of the program, that it would be hard to have a server version that could respond quickly and efficiently to those demands.

At present you may save projects to cloud servers (like Dropbox) and work with those projects in various locations. And maybe one day there will be a USB version of the Windows version to run on host computers. Or a tablet version that will allow writing and revision, for synching to Cloud copies.

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:59 am Post

Hi,

This is a business model we're not really interested in at the moment, I'm afraid. It would involve a completely different infrastructure, and one that we would be unable to support. We'd need to be able to provide web servers and maintain them and ensure that users always had access to their documents and suchlike - that's a completely different kind of business. That's not to say never, but this would only happen if we achieved world domination and could hire many minions. :)

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

robertdguthrie

Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:13 pm Post

I've never heard of an evil genius who waited until after achieving world domination to take on minions. I think they have to promise small islands to those who sign on for basic food, lodging, and matching jumpers, and then count on them being offed in the line of duty.
Often wrong, rarely in doubt.
Time for a change... I'm now rdale; same dog-avatar, same dog... channel?

al
almansur
Location: Escondido, California, USA, North America, Terra, Sol

Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:46 pm Post

KB wrote:Hi,

This is a business model we're not really interested in at the moment, I'm afraid. It would involve a completely different infrastructure, and one that we would be unable to support. We'd need to be able to provide web servers and maintain them and ensure that users always had access to their documents and suchlike - that's a completely different kind of business.
Keith

Actually, such infrastructure owned by Scrivener is not required. Several companies, e.g. Google and Amazon, offer their cloud systems (for a price) and I suspect they include APIs to ease the implementation so you wouldn't have to re-invent everything. However, there are issues with data integrity and privacy and the fact that cloud services are yet another subscription mechanism.
Win 8, Scriv 1.6.*

KB
Site Admin

Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:11 pm Post

That's true, but it's still a business model we're not interested in at the moment. :)
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:00 pm Post

RDG wrote:I've never heard of an evil genius who waited until after achieving world domination to take on minions. I think they have to promise small islands to those who sign on for basic food, lodging, and matching jumpers, and then count on them being offed in the line of duty.

Just for the record, what kind of jumper would we get as a minion?
(It can get pretty cold here during the winter.)
http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
Image Image

al
almansur
Location: Escondido, California, USA, North America, Terra, Sol

Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:57 pm Post

Red, of course, they're expendable.
Win 8, Scriv 1.6.*

KB
Site Admin

Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:14 pm Post

almansur wrote:Red, of course, they're expendable.

I like it!

robertdguthrie

Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:36 pm Post

almansur wrote:Red, of course, they're expendable.

Does 'expendable' mean the same thing as 'expensive'? That sounds very classy. Sign me up!
Often wrong, rarely in doubt.
Time for a change... I'm now rdale; same dog-avatar, same dog... channel?

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:03 pm Post

I'm going to need the jumper by the middle of November.
http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
Image Image

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:40 pm Post

pigfender wrote:I'm going to need the jumper by the middle of November.
Why wait? Y' can 'ave this one now.:D Image
Vic
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

phil

Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:53 am Post

Oh dear, this is really going to date me, but I had to toss this one in:

[Things I'd Do as an Evil Overlord]
#133. If I find my beautiful consort with access to my fortress has been associating with the hero, I'll have her executed. It's regrettable, but new consorts are easier to get than new fortresses and maybe the next one will pay attention at the orientation meeting.

:twisted:
--
Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes!

br
brookter

Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:26 am Post

Personally, I think the government is neglecting its duty to promote economic growth by its wilful failure to provide career advice to aspiring Evil Overlords. I mean, where is the succession planning? Have they not realised the vacancies that are starting to appear at the top of our financial institutions -- who's going to replace them, heh?

So, a public service, here is the link to the original free handbook for those contemplating a career in Evil Overlordery: http://www.eviloverlord.com/lists/overlord.html

Readers of this forum will be glad to see that Keith has already implemented point 12 in that several of us in this forum are clearly on the level of the average five-year old....

Hu
Hugh

Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:49 am Post

brookter wrote:Personally, I think the government is neglecting its duty to promote economic growth by its wilful failure to provide career advice to aspiring Evil Overlords. I mean, where is the succession planning?

Clearly you haven't been following the UK's Leveson Inquiry. (Although admittedly the overwhelming impression is that it is actually the aforesaid EOs who have been providing the career advice to the politicians.)
'Listen, some quiet night, when you've shirked your work that day. Do you hear
that distant, almost inaudible clicking sound? That's one of your
competitors, working away in the night in
Paris or London or Erie, PA.'