Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:45 pm Post

ROBOTS!
http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
Image Image

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:29 pm Post

KB wrote:I know what pretty much all of them will be.

Is it safe to assume that your house is like the house of every other male, and the items not included in the "pretty much" list will be told to you by Mrs KB in the days to come? And that you will be in trouble for not knowing what those things were in advance of being told? Does it work that way with you too?
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:29 pm Post

Jaysen wrote:
KB wrote:I know what pretty much all of them will be.

Is it safe to assume that your house is like the house of every other male, and the items not included in the "pretty much" list will be told to you by Mrs KB in the days to come? And that you will be in trouble for not knowing what those things were in advance of being told? Does it work that way with you too?

Scrivener is my haven from all of that. But outside of Scrivener, in my house it's best just to assume that I'm wrong. :)
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

xiamenese

Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:54 am Post

[quote="KB”]… in my house it's best just to assume that I'm wrong.[/quote]
Too limited in scope … in my case, wherever and whatever it is, it’s best to assume it’s my fault! :wink:

Mr X
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
M1 MacBook Air (2021), 11.2.1, 16GB RAM, !TB SSID
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.7, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 14.3, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

Ba
Baughn
Platform: Mac + Linux

Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:10 pm Post

So, on a somewhat more constructive note:

The Scrivener text files are all in RTF format. In theory I could sync those, and edit them directly, but I'd rather not just do that; it'd be pretty inconvenient, plus I suspect there may be proprietary format extensions. There's also the index (scrivx) files, which look like a reasonably convenient XML format....

What I'm getting at is: Is there any documentation? I can probably cobble together an app that works for me, personally, but if I'm going to put it on the android app store I'd prefer to know about any traps there might be to avoid.

ks
kseniya
Platform: Windows

Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:39 am Post

Is folder sync for the Windows version one of the Mac to Windows parity goals for 2014?

Without it, there's no kind of bare-bones functionality for us windows/android users who are humbly content to wait without complaint... but keep feeling like good writing ideas are slipping away when on-the-go and with only minutes to spare and no way to refer to the existing manuscript with just a phone at hand. (And yes, I sound even to myself like i'm making up excuses for writer's block, but ... sometimes it's really true. And sad.) Regardless, thank you for everything you have done and are continuing to do.
- Kseniya

fu
funkybassmannick

Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:11 pm Post

I just wanted to say, thanks Keith! Thanks for:

1) making Scrivener. It's the top choice app for most serious writers I know, especially ones that hang out over at /r/writing.

2) working on a mobile version of Scrivener for iOS, and doing it right. I'm excited for when that happens, and I'm glad you're not cutting corners.

Sp
Sparty

Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:47 pm Post

kseniya
I use Scrivener on windows. I just store the files on dropbox, then I just use 'officeSuite' on android to read and edit the files.

This seems to work fine, but I would add the following provisos:

1. The files are named by number such as 88.rtf DON'T CHANGE THE NAME OF THE FILE
2. Use dropbox to open the file each time, not the native editor such as Officesuite, or you might be working on a locally stored copy.

Finding the right file is the most difficult thing. They are all listed in the .scrivx file. (Open it with word pad) look for <BinderItem ID="34" Created="2013-11-12 19:41:46 +0000" Modified="2013-11-12 19:41:50 +0000" Type="Text">
<Title>Finns flight</Title>

That is 34.rtf I've titled Finns flight.
I've written a spider to pull this information out for myself, but it's not perfect.

hi
hideous

Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:14 am Post

Sounds like Scrivener is the victim of it's own success. The better is works, the more painful it is to muddle through with something else on my tablet. Not adding to the whining, after all your work ethic and business model is the reason we have Scrivener to begin with, but incompatibility between my tablet and my primary writing device makes for a substantial deterrent to a process that is already hard to pin down oft-times. The greatest product in the world is still greatly diminished if half your usage time it is not available/compatible.

So, and apologies if this is in the wrong place, what have scrivener users found to be the most viable android alternative? everything I have found feels like a half assed notepad. Scrivener was just too damn good.

beyond anything else: thank you for Scrivener, it was an amazing tool for writing. Can't wait till it is again (on devices we use today).

KB
Site Admin

Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:54 pm Post

hideous wrote:beyond anything else: thank you for Scrivener, it was an amazing tool for writing. Can't wait till it is again (on devices we use today).

That's a bit of a low dig ("was" indeed) - and (respectfully) nonsense: as though the Mac and Windows are not platforms "we use today". Hundreds of thousands of people use laptops and computers today - we're hardly producing Scrivener for a Commodore 64 here, and our user base is growing exponentially rather than diminishing, suggesting that we are not quite as out-of-date as you think. We work on the Mac and Windows versions daily; they are *very* much alive and current, and running on the latest software and hardware. The idea of writing much on a tablet horrifies me - a laptop is always going to be a much better writing machine. There is plenty of life left in the desktop versions - do you seriously think that tablet software could ever *replace* the desktop versions? Our mobile versions will be just that - *mobile* versions that are complementary to the main versions. Complete and useful on their own, but never able to compete with the rich writing environment made possible by the frameworks provided by OS X or Windows. iOS and Android are hardly replacements for OS X and Windows, no matter how useful they are for working on-the-go.

If you prefer a different device, then obviously should buy software available for that device. If you really need to work on an Android tablet and yet want to use Scrivener on the Mac, you can simply use the folder sync feature. As has been stated, Scrivener for Android is part of our long-term plan, but iOS and updates to the existing platforms are on the horizon before that.

Thanks for the kind words about Scrivener in general, though, even if we disagree about what constitutes a modern platform!
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

jo
joefez

Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:24 pm Post

I would love to see scrivener for Android as it would be the icing on the cake, for what is a truly great piece of software. I have to agree with KB though, writing on a tablet would be a horrible experience. The biggest thing for me is to be able to read back over what I've written, away from the computer, complete with project notes, ideas, research threads that I've added and linked to throughout. Opening hundreds of text files on my tablet to try and piece my story back together is just not practical, especially if you are brainstorming (day dreaming) and you're jumping between character / scene notes, chapters and the like. Maybe what is needed isn't a fully functioning version of scrivener but a composite file viewer that can open scrivener projects and display them in a similar manner as the desktop software does.

I used to use onenote as it is ace for research purposes, but terrible for writing on. The web version and android apps are ideal for letting me access my work wherever but it just ain't scrivener. Plus I'd rather give you my money, than microsoft.

Anyway, great software, love it. Definitely helped get my writing back on track and wouldn't use anything else now. Android app so I could review my project would be beyond excellent ;-)

ja
jane mulberry

Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:37 am Post

I'd love to see Scrivener for Android too and will gladly buy that app when it's time comes!

I have a little netbook I use when travelling that runs Android and would want it for that, so more functionality than just reading Scrivener files would be helpful.

In the meantime I'll live dangerously using Scrivener on my Windows machine at home and opening the synced Scrivener files in the word processor on the Android to work on when I'm away from home.

I love Scrivener, it's changed how I write. I'd never go back to an ordinary word processor now.

jo
joefez

Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:10 am Post

@Jane

If your netbook runs Android then it would definitely run Linux. Mint would probably be the best variant for your netbook as it doesn't require high specs and it will allow you to install Scrivener. I have used it on an eeepc 901 and Mint/Scrivener works brilliantly with dropbox syncing my project between all my computers. If it wasnt for the fact that the main SSD on my netbook has failed, I'd probably be using it to bridge the gap now.

If you were hesitant about installing Linux you could use a live distribution to see how you like it first, or if you were feeling a bit more adventurous you could dual boot Android and Linux.

Just a thought :)

Caldarone
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:35 pm Post

I would definitely love Scapple and Scrivener for Chrome OS, or at least a Chrome App for Scapple. I am a new Chromebook owner, and I love the portability and security-- it's great for University (although it's my final semester). In my long and trying journey to discover a digital equivalent of how I write and take down my notes and ideas in analog, the only thing that comes close is Scapple-- and it's fantastic. I use it on my Windows Desktop PC at home with my large monitor to "finalize" outlines, and I use it on my MacbookPro to take notes in more lecture or seminar based environments. Right now it's almost as simile and easy as whipping out my journal or legal pad and a pen.

What I would love is a Scapple Chrome App. Not only would I be able to use it with my Chromebook, but literally any platform which uses the Chrome Browser. In a perfect world, all of my digital creative input process would involve Literature and Latte.

Daniela Wolfe
Platform: Linux + Windows

Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:13 am Post

What I would love is a Scapple Chrome App. Not only would I be able to use it with my Chromebook, but literally any platform which uses the Chrome Browser. In a perfect world, all of my digital creative input process would involve Literature and Latte.

Well, you could always try using Scabble via remote desktop (this would probably be the easiest option)... or assuming your chrome has an x86 processor (it won't work with ARM devices) you could enable developer mode and install Crouton which would give you a linux desktop. Then you'd either be able to install wine and use it to try and install the windows version of scapple or else just run a virtual machine which would allow you to run a full windows desktop on top of linux.

This article goes into more detail.

There's also this, but it probably won't be available for some time since it was only just recently announced.
Have a delightfully devious day,