Document locking

sp
spg
Platform: Mac

Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:30 pm Post

Hi Keith and team.

I realised, recently, that I had inadvertently pasted some text into a finished manuscript. I was using twin panes in the editor and referring to the manuscript in one pane whilst creating another document in the other. I suspect this may have happened before and now I need to go through the manuscript to check for chunks of pasted nonsense!

It would be very handy in a future update to have a way of locking documents (and un-locking) to forbid further editing so that people like me can't be careless!

Thanks,

Stuart

robertdguthrie

Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:15 pm Post

The same amount of effort (remembering to click on the "lock" button) can be use to create snapshots. They're pretty handy. Just make sure you understand that a snapshot occurs at each document, and that a folder can have it's own text, so you have to be sure and select everything under it too in order to get snapshots of it's contents.

This video explains the feature far better than I can this morning:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bo8mdW1ZEI
Often wrong, rarely in doubt.
Time for a change... I'm now rdale; same dog-avatar, same dog... channel?

sp
spg

Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:28 pm Post

Thanks Robert,
I use snapshots regularly - great feature - but it doesn't help if you paste content in the wrong place without realising. You could compile your 100,000 word manuscript without realising there are errors inside somewhere, so you won't think to revert to a previous snapshot.

Locking the manuscript to avoid accidental editing while keeping it open to refer to, would be a useful extra feature, I think.

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:35 pm Post

Actually locking does make sense. I was initially thinking that snapshots would get it, but I bumped up against that usage scenario that you mentioned. I wonder though how you would indicate a locked vs. unlocked doc in the binder/editor in such a way that you
1. Don't make it so intrusive that folks get irritated.
2. Don't make it so unintrusive that support gets inundated with "I can't edit my novel" panic.

KB will have to weigh in on it, but it does make sense to me. Which should probably cause you a bit of concern.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 24 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

KB
Site Admin

Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:53 pm Post

Although I can understand the desire for such a feature, I'm afraid that I'm against it. This is exactly the sort of thing that would weigh down with support with angry, "I CAN'T EDIT MY WORK AND I'M ON A DEADLINE I HATE YOU!" emails. :) Users manage to accidentally turn on script mode and revision mode all of the time, so I have no doubt that we'll get plenty of users who would accidentally lock their documents and panic.

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:58 pm Post

Just because I am a pest...

How about a preference option to "enable file locking"? Make it one of those things you have to beg and plead to get the command syntax then use terminal to enable.

maybe? Please? I'll keep vic-k occupied for a while...
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 24 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

robertdguthrie

Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:23 pm Post

Maybe a big old padlock symbol overlaying the draft folder's icon, which, when right-clicked upon, would have "UNLOCK" in bold at the top of the contextual menu? Maybe even some kind of background watermark of a padlock behind the contents of the binder, as well as scrivenings, corkboard, and outliner views. When you try to click into the text, a tooltip appears explaining it's locked, and to unlock it, go to such-and-such menu item?
Often wrong, rarely in doubt.
Time for a change... I'm now rdale; same dog-avatar, same dog... channel?

sp
spg

Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:20 pm Post

I agree. Big toggle padlock on or off for whole manuscript or draft folder. Make it an opt-in preference to lock out those who would give Keith a hard time!

jo
john.lang
Platform: Windows

Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:27 am Post

Hi,

With locking being an opt-in preference and using a combination of icons and context menu, this feature would be simple and unobtrusive.

A major benefit is for those of us who create many closely relate works in a single project. For example: Article writing in a single niche.
Each article has it’s own publishing cycle and a lock-when-done feature would help a lot.

See attachment for sample icons and what the context menu could look like.
Scrivener and Locking Feature Request.png
Scrivener and Locking Feature Request.png (12.51 KiB) Viewed 1530 times

Kind regards,
John.

KB
Site Admin

Sat May 05, 2012 6:55 pm Post

Hi,

You can take a snapshot of a document when you want to lock at at a particular point - that way, even if you accidentally make edits, you can always return to the locked version (the snapshot). As I say, there are no plans to add a feature that will lock a document and make it uneditable, though, so this snapshot approach is going to be the best solution.

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

sa
sarajiel

Sun May 06, 2012 11:14 am Post

KB wrote:You can take a snapshot of a document when you want to lock at at a particular point - that way, even if you accidentally make edits, you can always return to the locked version (the snapshot).

How about adding the option to compile a certain snapshot of a binderitem?
Let's say I'm finished with "draft #7" for example, create snap shots of each item and want to compile exactly that version. Now I can select that snapshot by name, maybe with a little warning if that name doesn't exist, so I can select another one for that chapter where I typed "draft 7" by accident and be happy. :wink:

Wouldn't that add a level of document locking without distracting those users who aren't technical savvy or don't bother reading manuals?

Sarah1986

Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:50 am Post

Adding my voice of support for this feature.

I understand the concerns about users accidentally locking their documents but since discovering the lock features for the editors and inspectors — this has become an essential part of my workflow. Surely there is a way to make it visually obvious what document is locked? (greyed out with padlock symbol ? )

I'm using Scrivener for academic writing and being able to lock the documents from accidental editing would protect me from myself.
Scrivener for Thesis & Dissertation Writing - posts, hints and best practice
www.thequalitativeresearcher.net

Coming Soon- Scrivener for Data Analysis and Scrivener for Literature Reviews

Pa
Paulino
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:05 am Post

KB wrote:Although I can understand the desire for such a feature, I'm afraid that I'm against it. This is exactly the sort of thing that would weigh down with support with angry, "I CAN'T EDIT MY WORK AND I'M ON A DEADLINE I HATE YOU!" emails. :) Users manage to accidentally turn on script mode and revision mode all of the time, so I have no doubt that we'll get plenty of users who would accidentally lock their documents and panic.

All the best,
Keith

This is a fundamental feature for many situations. I really do not understand the problem: they suggested some solutions, the most extreme would be that when user tries to edit his work, it appeared an alert such as

"The document is locked. Do you want to unlock it?

Yes No"

I do not think it would be too intrusive (unless one is so careless that continues to accidentally edit) and it would work infallibly for the most inexperienced user in the world.
Segna e depenna Ben Hur
Sono Don Giovanni
Rivesto quello che vuoi
Son l'attaccapanni

kewms

Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:19 am Post

Paulino wrote:This is a fundamental feature for many situations. I really do not understand the problem: they suggested some solutions, the most extreme would be that when user tries to edit his work, it appeared an alert such as

What does "try to edit" mean in this context? Dropped the cursor? Selected some text? Tried to actually type something? Tried to save changes?

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

Pa
Paulino
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:27 pm Post

kewms wrote:
Paulino wrote:This is a fundamental feature for many situations. I really do not understand the problem: they suggested some solutions, the most extreme would be that when user tries to edit his work, it appeared an alert such as

What does "try to edit" mean in this context? Dropped the cursor? Selected some text? Tried to actually type something? Tried to save changes?

Katherine

I mean anything that modifies the document in any aspect.
Saving does not modify it.
Selecting a part of text does not modify it.
Selecting and copying a part of text does not modify it.
Selecting and deleting a part of text, obviously, modifies it.
Pasting a part of text, obviously, modifies it.
Typing, obviously, modifies it.
Anything that changes in any way the document, after user locks it, could produce the alert I have talked about.

After working for ten hours in a row on Scrivener and concurrently with other apps, copying, pasting and typing text it is possible that I accidentally write or past something in the wrong place. Of course it would be useful being able to lock the entire file, when you work with another scrivener file or other app’s files, and to lock singularly one or more documents or folders contained in the binder (showing a padlock near the document/s and folder/s locked, as suggested) when your are working on a single file.

Many apps let users to lock documents, I do not think it could produce complaints by people, especially following the advice given here.
I hope you and Keith change your mind on this topic and add this feature in the future :)
Segna e depenna Ben Hur
Sono Don Giovanni
Rivesto quello che vuoi
Son l'attaccapanni