Scrivener on Tiger now and forever

ptram
Platform: Mac

Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:37 pm Post

Dear Keith,

Is there hope that Scrivener will continue working on Tiger still for some years? I ask this, because I'm a user of a very old PowerBook G3/400 'Pismo', that I would love to use for scrivening still for long.

Why I don't buy a new notebook? The Pismo is the last Apple notebook using the ISO Italian keyboard layout. The new one is a patchwork between the American layout, and a few accented characters stitched wherever they fit.

I doubt Leopard will run on this old machine, even if Tiger runs very well on it.

So, I hope there is hope...

Paolo

KB
Site Admin

Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:45 pm Post

I certainly have no plans for dropping Tiger support any time soon. :) I'm currently running the latest Leopard developer seed, but only to ensure that Scrivener works on both Tiger and Leopard, so that when users do upgrade, they won't find that Scrivener is broken. I have already modified chunks of code to check which version of the OS is running, so that it runs fine on both.

Hopefully, all of 1.x releases will run on Tiger.

Best,
Keith

Ma
Maria

Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:13 pm Post

ptram wrote:...
Why I don't buy a new notebook? The Pismo is the last Apple notebook using the ISO Italian keyboard layout. The new one is a patchwork between the American layout, and a few accented characters stitched wherever they fit.

Paolo, this information makes me feel upset. Does the Italian user community not react, writing to Apple?

It is horrible to write on a keyboard that does not fit to the language one uses for writing. I hope you get your ISO Italian keyboard back with the new Mac Books, and every other language should get the keyboard they need!

All the best,
Maria

ptram

Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:14 pm Post

Maria,

Maria wrote:Paolo, this information makes me feel upset. Does the Italian user community not react, writing to Apple?

At the time, several of us protested, but I don't know of any official answer from Apple. There is no hope to have the ISO keyboard back, since most Apple users, in Italy, do prefer to have the messy PC keyboard, instead of a true Italian keyboard.

Writing with it is sometimes fatiguing. A commonly used character like "é" is in second position, as are quotes ("), semi-colon and parentheses. And reaching accents is no longer as easy as typing Opt-é for the acute or Opt-è for the grave, but a confusing Opt-( or Opt-). Not to say of the inverted W and Z.

I'm lucky enough to have this old PowerBook, and an ADB Extended Keyboard II with the right layout. I can write with both the ISO and the PC layout, but having grown on typewriters, I greatly prefer the former.

Paolo

Ma
Maria

Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:59 pm Post

Paolo,

may it be that the Italian and the German are similar? At least the Y and Z problem is the same. Maybe, a German keyboard could help you in the future plus a few changed keybindings?

Here in Japan I work with two different Japanese keyboards (on the iBook and at my desktop), they have a basically US layout, with some differences, and I prefer to type blind with a German layout softwarewise. This makes some characters absolutely unaccessible, so I changed some keybindings, to e.g. get back > and <, or to write ô etc. more easily. It is a matter of a few minutes.

It works somehow if your fingers are used to access certain keys without having your eyes checking that out. If you ever have to change your computer, send me a pm and we can talk about changing some keybindings.

All the best,
Maria

Ti
Timotheus

Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:10 am Post

I'm writing very often in Italian, and I never had any problems with the present keyboard. For me, "è" is (and always has been) simply alt-` followed by "e"; "é", alt-e followed by "e", and so on; and it all works perfectly. Isn't it just a question of getting accostumed to a different routine? Or am I missing something?

ptram

Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:40 am Post

Timotheus,

Timotheus wrote:...and it all works perfectly. Isn't it just a question of getting accostumed to a different routine?

Sure, it works perfectly - in the sense that you can have the work done, in a way or the other. Simply, the original Italian layout is more comfortable than the modified US one we are using now. When writing all the day (and night...) long, you start feeling the pain.

Maria: no, using a different European layout would be even worse. Each country has its preferred layout for a reason (the reason being an easier access to the most used characters). When typing blind on the new Italian keyboard (called the "Pro Italian" keyboard, obviously meaning the older one was a toy) I sometimes select the ISO layout. However, having the silkscreened characters correspond to the typed ones is usually the easiest way.

I know of someone who dismounted the keyboard, reordered the characters, and added some stickers where needed. A bit too much for me, but not at all a bad idea when things are going as mad as they are.

Paolo

ptram

Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:46 am Post

Just to add a funny note to the mad neo-Italian keyboard: when exchanging the layout, the designers left the symbol of the Italian Lira currency in the second position. This currency is now history, but is still silkscreened in the new keyboards.

At the same time, reaching the Euro symbol is still a matter of digging the third position (it is sinked under the Opt-E key combination).

Say, when computers mean modernity.

Paolo

Gordon

Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:38 pm Post

No worries, the current app works on Tiger, right? Even if future versions were to require Leopard, just keep using today's.