URGENT REQUEST for a Windows compatable version of Scrivener

Ho
HoodWink

Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:31 pm Post

Is there any chance that Scrivener will appear in a form compatable with Windows?

OR . . . a suggestion of a Windows program similar to Scrivener.

I have a very involved novel project due to kick off and would like to begin its production in Scrivener.

Thanks!

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:40 pm Post

From the FAQ:

:arrow: [4] Will there ever be a Windows version of Scrivener?
In short, no, there are no plans to ever port Scrivener to the Windows platform. The reason for this is that it heavily relies upon programming tools that are only available on the Macintosh, and while there may be analogues for these tools in the Windows development environment, the methods to access them (and indeed pretty much everything else) would have to be rewritten in a different programming language.

For a list of recommended alternative writing programs for Windows users, please visit this page.

Or, like a few other people on the forum, you could buy a MacBook specifically for the use of Scrivener. ;)
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Ra
Rayz
Platform: Mac

Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:28 am Post

HoodWink wrote:Is there any chance that Scrivener will appear in a form compatable with Windows?

I have a very involved novel project due to kick off and would like to begin its production in Scrivener.

Thanks!

Hi there.

I think the closest match you're going to find is
Writeway Pro, which is pretty good.

:)

F4
F451

Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:06 am Post

We all knew this request would appear...it is only logical that Scrivener be made for the Windows platform. My only chagrin is that I have seen many a fine Apple application go by the wayside when the developer chose to make a Windows version. The success of Scrivener is obvious, and who am I to selfishly want such an application to forego its future potential, and deny those who would benefit from Scrivener's offerings?

Keith, all I can say is please do not forget us, should you choose to develop both versions. And please do not let the Apple version fall behind the Windows version. Thanks, and continued success.

P.S. The Apple world loved you first!

Ra
Rayz

Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:33 am Post

F451 wrote:We all knew this request would appear...it is only logical that Scrivener be made for the Windows platform. My only chagrin is that I have seen many a fine Apple application go by the wayside when the developer chose to make a Windows version. The success of Scrivener is obvious, and who am I to selfishly want such an application to forego its future potential, and deny those who would benefit from Scrivener's offerings?

Keith, all I can say is please do not forget us, should you choose to develop both versions. And please do not let the Apple version fall behind the Windows version. Thanks, and continued success.

P.S. The Apple world loved you first!

I think there is very little to worry about to be honest. Scrivener is written in Cocoa and it would be quite an undertaking to rebuild it in Windows, unless Apple made the Cocoa port available for Windows that is.

Even so, Keith is a Mac user, so he's much more likely to keep the Mac version up to date anyway; remember, that he wrote Scrivener for his own use as well .... :)

ma
magnusnilsson

Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:18 am Post

Rayz wrote:
HoodWink wrote:Is there any chance that Scrivener will appear in a form compatable with Windows?

Thanks!

Also, you could check out Ideamason (http://www.ideamason.com/) for windows. It seems to be okay, at least worth trying out until you might decide to switch to the mac platform.

b5
b5fan74

Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:24 pm Post

Dood. get a mac. the grass is truly greener. :) I stare at Windows all day at work. I couldn't write on a PC no matter what software package I used--even if it was Scrivener.

Ra
Rayz

Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:59 am Post

b5fan74 wrote:Dood. get a mac. the grass is truly greener. :) I stare at Windows all day at work. I couldn't write on a PC no matter what software package I used--even if it was Scrivener.

The state of the grass really depends on what you're doing. For the most part, I still prefer to do the majority of work on my pc, simply because of the applications available on it that I cannot get on a Mac.

At the end of the day, it's the applications that make the environment, for me anyway ... :)

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:15 pm Post

But Parallels is making that line so very blurry these days. Windows applications can be run at full speed, right alongside everything else. Maybe it is less a matter of verdancy, and more a matter of quantity. We can now run both green and brown grass systems at once. Or to be all obnoxiously Matrix, "There is no fence." ;)
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Lord Lightning

Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:58 pm Post

Seriously, just get a new Intel Mac. It will run Windows, Vista and OSX. You can switch from one to the other on the same machine and continue to run all of your Windblows software.
:D
Lord Lightning

I'm a writer. I create worlds!
When I make a declarative statement it applies to ME. Not to everyone.

alexwein

Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:54 pm Post

Great avatar, LL!
Inspiration is for amateurs...the rest of us just show up.
-Chuck Close
http://alexandriapallas.com

Timinator

Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:02 pm Post

Do what I did! I bought a G3 900Mhz iBook from Mac of All Trades (http://www.macofalltrades.com/ with Wifi for $400. Specifically for the purpose of writing my next book and for doing a little FileMaker programming. Even though it's an older ibook, it is in great shape, it runs Scrivener just fine, and it's very portable.
Timothy Trimble
http://www.timothytrimble.info
Non-fiction technology author
FileMaker Developer
Aspiring fiction author
"scriptor ergo sum"

ja
janra

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:36 pm Post

Timinator wrote:Do what I did! I bought a G3 900Mhz iBook from Mac of All Trades (http://www.macofalltrades.com/ with Wifi for $400. Specifically for the purpose of writing my next book and for doing a little FileMaker programming. Even though it's an older ibook, it is in great shape, it runs Scrivener just fine, and it's very portable.

I'd just like to warn anybody considering taking this route. I borrowed an old iBook G3 with a dead battery for a summer, when I was working away from home. By the time the monitor joined the battery in unserviceability, I had gotten to like the system so much I bought myself a shiny new PowerBook G4.

:-D

Ra
Rayz

Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:42 am Post

AmberV wrote:But Parallels is making that line so very blurry these days. Windows applications can be run at full speed, right alongside everything else. Maybe it is less a matter of verdancy, and more a matter of quantity. We can now run both green and brown grass systems at once. Or to be all obnoxiously Matrix, "There is no fence." ;)

I wasn't going to mention it, but there is still the question of

1/. Form factor - I can't get a Mac in the subnotebook category, which I need for writing on the go.

2/. Reliability, which, judging by reports, is not too good on the notebook side at the present.

Ra
Rayz

Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:48 am Post

Lord Lightning wrote:Seriously, just get a new Intel Mac. It will run Windows, Vista and OSX. You can switch from one to the other on the same machine and continue to run all of your Windblows software.
:D

'Windblows'?

Is that really the best you can do?

:roll:

As I was saying to Amber, I'd rather by a Windows machine due to the reliability and form factor. Otherwise, yup, I'd buy a Macbook (I don't even mind the fact that they discolour).