URGENT REQUEST for a Windows compatable version of Scrivener

da
dagaz

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:19 pm Post

Rayz wrote:Reliability, which, judging by reports, is not too good on the notebook side at the present.

Although there were quite a number of problems with the 1st generation of both MacBooks and MacBook Pros - as there usually is with 1st gen. Apple products - from all accounts the latest line (using Core 2 Duos) seem to be running fine.

Ro
RobertB
Platform: Mac

Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:47 pm Post

I have one of the later MacBooks (just before the processor switch) and have had no problems so far after 8 months of very intensive use. FWIW.

Ra
Rayz

Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:23 am Post

dagaz wrote:
Rayz wrote:Reliability, which, judging by reports, is not too good on the notebook side at the present.

Although there were quite a number of problems with the 1st generation of both MacBooks and MacBook Pros - as there usually is with 1st gen. Apple products - from all accounts the latest line (using Core 2 Duos) seem to be running fine.

Well, that's good to know. So the only remaining problem is, that all the Macs are way too big for what I need.

gr
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:25 am Post

To my thinking, the 12" Powerbooks were the "right" size for a laptop--about the dimensions of a piece of paper.

--Greg

P.S. If the rumors are worth anything, some say Apple is working on a serious small notebook. So, we may yet be joining this party!

da
davewe

Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:28 am Post

I've been a Mac user since '87 and this debate has raged the entire time. Even now, when you can load Windows and run PC apps on a Mac just as if you were on a PC, the debate continues. At this point in time, the issue is no longer what a Mac can't do - it's what a PC can't do - run Mac software. Thus the original request for Scrivener to be ported to the PC.

One other comment. I happen to work for a fairly large corp. that happens to make the processors in most of the world's PCs and all of the current Macs (is that a big enough hint). You cannot believe the excitement when Apple changed to our processors. Also, you would not believe how many engineers walk around the massive complex I work in, carrying their dull as dishwater IBM and Dell laptops - with Apple stickers all over the things. A friend of mine just got back from a conference at Microsoft. The folks in Seattle did not appreciate the graphics all over his laptop!

I suspect if my company allowed us to use Macbooks, there'd be a stampede.

Dave

KB
Site Admin

Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:53 am Post

Just to give the official reply on whether there will be a Windows version of Scrivener (although I have covered this elsewhere and I believe it is also in the FAQ thanks to Amber):

The Question
Will there ever be a Windows version of Scrivener? / Please let me know when there is a Windows version of Scrivener. / Please hire a Windows developer to port Scrivener to the PC! / Hey you! Port Scrivener to Windows! NOW!

The Short Answer
No. :)

The Prolix Answer
I get requests in my inbox for a Windows version of Scrivener nearly every day. And honestly, if I was in it for the money (as Supergrass might sing), spending a year or two porting to Windows would no doubt give me some healthy returns and triple any profits I make on the Mac version, what with the 95% market share of Windows and all. But... and it's a big but... I'm not in it for the money. Well, not entirely. :) Scrivener is not freeware or open source - you have to pay for it - because I put a helluva lot of time into updating it and supporting it and it is my baby and so on and so forth. But, as I have always said, I wrote it primarily for myself, so that I could write my Great Novel with it. It was the tool I always wanted. And I use a Mac. I'm no Mac snob, mind - I hate Mac snobbery, as it goes, a machine is a machine is a machine is a machine - I just happen to have a personal preference for OS X. I just like it better than Windows. Moreover, back when I used to use Windows, I bought loads of programming books on MFC and C++ (the things you need to know to write a good Windows program) with the intention of writing something like Scrivener for the PC, but found the tools and programming language obtuse. I would have had to spend years reading the Windows programming books. So, I gave up. Then, when I switched to a Mac, I found that Xcode (OS X's main programming environment) came free with the OS (whereas the Windows programming environment, Visual Studion, costs somewhere around £1,000 for commercial use). And I found that with books such as those by Steve Kochan and Aaron Hillegass, I could learn how to program for the Mac in a matter of months. That is how Scrivener came to be a Mac program rather than a PC one.

Because I initially wrote Scrivener for myself, I now want to use Scrivener (I keep saying that: after the next update, after the next update..). I certainly don't want to spend two years trying to learn how to program for a platform I don't even use. And I can't afford to hire a Windows programmer to port Scrivener to Windows, because I don't make enough money from Scrivener to pay another programmer's salary.

Which brings us back to the short answer:

No, it is unlikely that there will ever be a Windows version of Scrivener.

All the best,
Keith

Ra
Rayz

Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:02 am Post

davewe wrote:I've been a Mac user since '87 and this debate has raged the entire time. Even now, when you can load Windows and run PC apps on a Mac just as if you were on a PC, the debate continues.

One of the reasons that it continues is that relatively speaking, not that many people seem to want to be tied to Mac hardware, and it is also possible that folk may just have a preference for Windows.

As I said, it all depends on what you're doing.

KB
Site Admin

Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:51 am Post

It might be good to take the Windows vs Mac debate to the "Now for that Coffee..." part of the forum. We are fortunate enough to have very rational human beings on this forum who are not so-called fanboys and who are unlikely to flame one another for preferring one platform over the other (although clearly Mac is going to win out on a forum dedicated to Mac software :) ). It would be interesting to hear why you might prefer Windows over OS X, for instance... In fact, I am starting a thread, here:

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/forum ... 0995#10995

which continues from this thread directly.

Anyway, good to see you around the forums again, Rayz.

All the best,
Keith

ma
manifestbeauty

Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:07 am Post

I don't care to get into any debates regarding Win-vs-Apple, but I do find the need to add my experience with great Mac apps gone cross-platform. 99% of applications that are ported from Mac to Windows start to degrade in quality rapidly. I don't exactly know why, but I've seen it time and again. It's maddening when apps as gorgeous and powerful as Scrivener begin to degrade soon after they cross the binary barrier. I hope Scrivener doesn't find the same fate as some of the others. Thanks!

Ra
Rayz

Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:21 am Post

manifestbeauty wrote:I don't care to get into any debates regarding Win-vs-Apple, but I do find the need to add my experience with great Mac apps gone cross-platform. 99% of applications that are ported from Mac to Windows start to degrade in quality rapidly. I don't exactly know why, but I've seen it time and again. It's maddening when apps as gorgeous and powerful as Scrivener begin to degrade soon after they cross the binary barrier. I hope Scrivener doesn't find the same fate as some of the others. Thanks!

Yes what usually happens here is that once they hit the Windows platforms, they realise that they now have many more customers who are easier to cater for, so the Mac version tends to wither and die.

Annoying, but just business.

This is much less of an issue than it used to be; most of the smaller Mac developers are really enthusiastic about the platform, so even if there was an easier way to port Mac apps to Windows, I don't think many of them would take it.

ptram

Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:01 am Post

gr wrote:If the rumors are worth anything, some say Apple is working on a serious small notebook.

I would love if it was true, since I've been waiting for something like this for years. Only, I hope it would have a better quality than the smaller Sony Vaio. Just yesterday I played with one of them, and was impress by its (lack of) weight, but disappointed by the keyboard's really short run, and the 'washed out' colors of the display.

I also hope it will run for several hours out of a single battery. My Pismo, with a Newer extended battery, runs for over six hours if I turn the hard disk down as soon as possible (via the "sudo pmset -a disksleep 1" command). I wish the small laptop can do at least the same.

Paolo

xiamenese

Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:27 pm Post

ptram wrote:
gr wrote:If the rumors are worth anything, some say Apple is working on a serious small notebook.

I also hope it will run for several hours out of a single battery. My Pismo, with a Newer extended battery, runs for over six hours if I turn the hard disk down as soon as possible (via the "sudo pmset -a disksleep 1" command). I wish the small laptop can do at least the same.

Paolo

If the rumours are true, and it is entirely chip based, as I understand it, (i) there won't be a hard disk to put to sleep; (ii) there will be no real distinction between RAM and the main storage, so technically all apps should be instantly available, and (iii) battery life should be extended hugely. Just think about battery life in an iPod Nano or Shuffle compared with that in the iPod Mini ... multiple times as long. I would think you would be looking at running in the order of 12 hours ... It will depend on the screen which will be the most power hungry bit, and the size of the battery that Apple puts in it.
But this is, of course, all speculation.

Mark

Pa
Pavel
Platform: Mac + Linux

Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:13 pm Post

I'd like to tell you something (unimportant (especially in the larger scheme of things) but true).
I have no real need of the program as I'm a computer consultant (and computer geek) for education,(and I used to code in windows hell - don't do it unless you enjoy suffering) rather than a writer, but since I decided to take some classes (late in life) I happen to look around for something other than word so I would not have to get so frustrated. I found your program, and I hate to repeat what so many seem to have said already ... but it amazes me how the program "thinks" as I do. So, right now I'm in the demo phase but I already know that I will buy it. As I said, I don't really need it but I will buy it for several other reasons (besides having something great).
Those reasons include the fact that there is this guy who really seems to be in it for the love of making something wonderful. Its not just some hired PR guy writing this BS .. its for real and he even spends time on a bulletin board helping his customers. Wow ... I thought that disappeared twenty years ago. That is worth the cost of entry right there.
Next ... in this windows world he has enough gumption to stick to what he believes in and make it Mac only. Cool! I'd pay a bit extra for that! So to hell with diplomacy ... thank you for your coding skills, your vision, your drive ... and thank you for making it Mac only.

I've got a windows box as well as several Macs ... but honestly ... a program as cool as Scrivener ... well, it would just not be the same on that "it will do" platform.

Keep it up!

KB
Site Admin

Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:23 pm Post

Thank you. :)

ce
celestialwolf

Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:01 am Post

I'm an avid apple lover myself. Unfortunately the only computer I have that I can statically devote in my office is my pc. My powerbook I use everywhere else. While I'd adore to add another apple to my household, I don't believe that is financially possible at the moment. I use Scrivener when I write and honestly there's no other program that can match it on Mac or Windows. Since there's no hope of having Scrivener on Windows, I had to come up with a way that it could. Parallels has already been mentioned and my solution is very similar. Here's what I did for those fanatics who want it as bad as I did:

You'll need to get the following:
Pear PC
TransMac
OS X CD
Scrivener (of course!)

1. Install Pear PC on Windows.
2. Insert the OS X CD in Windows Machine
3. Use TransMac to read the cd and create an .img file.
4. Write the config file for Pear PC (or you can download a configuration utility for it)
5. Launch Pear PC from the command prompt and install Mac OS X
6. Install Scrivener.

A little warning though, the emulation cannot see the host machine's hard drive or usb devices so you'll need to use TransMac to be able to move files to and from the PC.

I know this sounds to be a drastic method to use Scrivener on Windows, but for me.. it's TOTALLY worth it. I've tried what's out there but there's no place like home, no place like Scrivener. I hope this was helpful and good luck to everyone who gives it a try.