Wordcount History

br
brettc

Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:01 am Post

I love the new Project targets dialog in 2.0.5. Persistent targets per day, and automatic daily word-count targets from a deadline. Awesome!

Now, what would be really cool would be if you saved all the daily word-counts and then gave us a simple progress graph. It's nice to see how well (or badly) progress has been going.

In the future you might allow us to input daily caffeine (alcohol?) consumption, and then provide a correlation between the two :)

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:35 am Post

Hi,

There are no plans for anything like this - this is where a nice spreadsheet comes in handy. :)

As for caffeine consumption, a full-on built in coffee-maker is on the list for 3.0.

Thanks and all the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Hu
Hugh

Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:30 pm Post

brettc

If you have MS Excel you may find this spreadsheet useful. Works with Numbers too, more or less. (You could add a couple of columns and charts for alcohol and caffeine consumption - will the relationships with wordcount be inverse or directly proportional?)

H
'Listen, some quiet night, when you've shirked your work that day. Do you hear
that distant, almost inaudible clicking sound? That's one of your
competitors, working away in the night in
Paris or London or Erie, PA.'

br
brettc

Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:49 am Post

OK -- so this is where scripting would be great, as I'd like to automate the procedure (though thanks for the spreadsheet link, Hugh).

I'm not sure I want to know the real connection between caffeine and output. I'd like to think it was positive...

KB
Site Admin

Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:30 am Post

Full AppleScript support is planned for 2.1 - it's a big job and will be 2.1's main focus, hopefully later this year (don't quote me on it being 2.1 - that has long been the plan but don't shoot me if it gets pushed back to 2.2).

So, this is one to add to the AppleScript list - the ability to get the session word count and target. If you could do that, you should be able to write a script that would put them in a spreadsheet - or someone could, and we could host it here...
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Sa
Saranoya
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:29 am Post

That sounds completely awesome! I've never done anything in AppleScript, but I'm pretty good with Bash scripting and Perl, so AppleScript support in Scrivener would be welcomed. At the very least, it would give me a reason to find out what can and can't be done with AppleScript.

And if someone wrote an AppleScript that keeps a wordcount history in Scrivener, I would definitely use it, probably even pay for it!

olorinpc
Platform: Windows

Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:12 am Post

To throw in my two cents, I would love this feature/script as well.

Personally I use a spreadsheet when I need this sort of thing at the moment now... helps give me the visual nudge to keep going. (Search for NaNoWriMo or NaNo wordcount spreadsheets and you will find a lot of examples that can be used for more than just nano.)

Automated stats, well thats just an awesome goal to have :)
Jakob Barnard
EpicPlains.com

Writer, Editor, Blogger

KB
Site Admin

Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:21 am Post

Just for the record, AppleScript support won't be coming with 2.1. The focus of 2.1 ended up being a greatly refined Compile and Lion support. 2.1 will be out in the next few days, and then there will be a 2.1.1 to fix the inevitable bugs that crop up, and then, once the summer is over (which is very busy with a) the Windows version, b) me getting married and c) me moving house), I intend to start work on AppleScript for 2.2 later in the year.

All the best,
Keith

mb
mbbntu
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:03 pm Post

KB wrote:me getting married

Congratulations!

Martin.
You should judge people not by how close they get to the top, but by how far they have come from the bottom. Some people have a mountain to climb just to get to the place where others start out. (Me, 2010)

nom
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:09 pm Post

KB wrote:Just for the record, AppleScript support won't be coming with 2.1. The focus of 2.1 ended up being a greatly refined Compile and Lion support. 2.1 will be out in the next few days, and then there will be a 2.1.1 to fix the inevitable bugs that crop up, and then, once the summer is over (which is very busy with a) the Windows version, b) me getting married and c) me moving house), I intend to start work on AppleScript for 2.2 later in the year.

All the best,
Keith

I'm looking forward to seeing the compile refinements - they're just in time for me to practice with before I submit my thesis in a couple of months.

As for your summer
a) commiserations :(
b) congratulations :D
c) both :?

As for b), remember the logic of weddings is as follows: weddings are the best parties; your own wedding is the best wedding; therefore your own wedding is the best party. Enjoy it!
Complete and utter NOMsense.