Customized Keyboard Shortcuts

masfur
Platform: Windows

Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:19 pm Post

Good morning.
My language (Friulian) provide many accented letters (eg ê). It would be nice if on Scrivener there was the possibility to create keyboard shortkeys (like ALT+e=ê or string ALT+L="example"). Now I do it on Windows with AutoHotKey, but thinking of switching to the Mac, it would be great if it was a function included in the program.
Thank you.

p.s. Fantastic program!

Jo
JoRo
Platform: Mac

Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:33 pm Post

Afternoon.

macOS already has what you need built in at a system level:

http://osxdaily.com/2017/03/22/type-accents-mac-easy/

Super simple and super productive.

Slàinte mhòr.

masfur

Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:46 pm Post

Very good!
Thank you!

highlandbull

Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:48 pm Post

Tapadh leat, JoRo, ach tha mi a' cleachadh Windows (thanks, but I use Windows ;)

I could use -- I think -- the alt+ number code for accents, but that is awfully clumsy.

slàinte mhath!

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:17 pm Post

If your keyboard doesn't have conventions for accented characters built into it, then you need to enable a so-called "International" keyboard that enables AltGr, or the Alt key to the right of the spacebar. Input is similarly intuitive as on the Mac, though the precise key layout is a bit different. You'll want to look up what to use depending on your keyboard input methods.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

highlandbull

Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:46 pm Post

Thanks, Amberv -- I tried that, but the whole keyboard changed, and it's tough to re-program my own habits developed and ingrained over years and years of typing (has to do with old dogs and new tricks ;) ... BUT to answer my own question -- though not a definitive answer -- in playing around with another piece of software, I've been able to program macro keys that I can use outside of ms Word (which was where I was able to trigger these fonts before) ... to get the accented letters -- for example, à, À & etc. -- it takes four key strokes and there might be a better way to do it, but for now, it might work.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:07 pm Post

That's too bad that it changes the whole layout as well. Well, a macro is certainly better than memorising the ASCII table and using the numkeys. :) I wonder if maybe using Scrivener's Substitutions feature, in the Corrections settings area, might help as well? You could put in an abbreviation like: `e that gets turned into è, for example. In my testing that works within words.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles