BETA TESTING FINISHED FOR 1.7.1 - 27th May 2014

paulobrabo
Platform: Windows

Tue May 27, 2014 2:58 pm Post

Lee! Tiho!

No luck with the installer as it is, but I changed the Location string to

C:\Program Files\Scrivener

and voilà! Auto-Update worked right away. Everything is updated now. 8)

With 1.7.1.0 installed that registry value remains

C:\Program Files\Scrivener

so hopefully that pesky string won't bother us again!

Congratulations to both of you. Best Scrivener for Windows ever :wink:

Paulo
Windows 7 Home Premium

tiho_d
Platform: Linux + Windows

Tue May 27, 2014 3:21 pm Post

Glad it worked, Paulo. It proves that the string is causing the issues. Unfortunately we can no longer test the update installer on your system, with the buggy path.

A new version of the update installer is uploaded. Feel free to try it guys and let us know how it goes for you.
Thanks!

tiho_d

Tue May 27, 2014 3:24 pm Post

@Paulo: We do not have a good explanation about the value within the Location string, Paulo. Can you please provide us with some details about the v1.6.1 that you used for installation. Did you auto-update from previous version to v1.6.1 or you downloaded the full installer v1.6.1 and installed it manually. This value is written by our installers and we must pinpoint which one is writing this buggy entry. Thanks for your assistance, Paulo!

paulobrabo
Platform: Windows

Tue May 27, 2014 3:43 pm Post

tiho_d wrote:@Paulo: We do not have a good explanation about the value within the Location string, Paulo. Can you please provide us with some details about the v1.6.1 that you used for installation. Did you auto-update from previous version to v1.6.1 or you downloaded the full installer v1.6.1 and installed it manually. This value is written by our installers and we must pinpoint which one is writing this buggy entry. Thanks for your assistance, Paulo!

Tiho, I don't quite recall, but I am almost certain I used Auto-Update in both affected systems. I am sorry if I can't help you with more information.

Hopefully it wasn't a widespread problem! Thank you again for keeping this channel open.

Paulo
Windows 7 Home Premium

tiho_d

Tue May 27, 2014 3:54 pm Post

Everyone who used the v1.6.1 update installer will have the problem described above.
We have found two ways for fixing this up to now. Unfortunately they both need manual interaction. We are thinking about an automated fix, but at the moment we do not have a working automated solution and we are not confident that such automated solution exists. Here come the fix scenarios:

1) Download the full installer v1.7.1 from the L&L web site or from the following link:
http://www.literatureandlatte.com/scriv ... taller.exe
Run the installer and follow the installer steps.

2) Edit your registry key: Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Scrivener\Scrivener\Location
Most probably it reads: C:\Program Files\Scrivener\Scrivener.exe
Change the value to: C:\Program Files\Scrivener
Close and run Scrivener again. Run update installer and it should auto-update properly.

Sorry about the troubles here, guys. Still looking for a better solution than the above.

narrsd
Platform: Win + iOS

Fri May 30, 2014 12:39 am Post

Tiho, may need some update here?

Some of us are running 64-bit Windows, so then the program dir would be C:\Program Files (x86), yes?

On the other hand, I just did what I always to when working on a Beta:
- deinstall the Beta via Windows Control Panel>Programs and Features
- be sure i deinstalled any and all versions of the program
- go to the program directory as above, and delete the folder for the app (Scrivener)
- be sure to delete also any differently named folders that I might have made installing the beta app (Scrivener Beta, etc.)
- download your new version installer, and run it
- try the new app
- in the case of Scrivener, as ever, smile...!

Thank you, Tiho, Lee, Keith, and everyone else, for this great instrument for writing.

It does get used.

Clive